Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders for Women

SayCici

Practically Family
I don't think there is an official post on this, especially not in the Powder Room, so let's talk about suspenders! Love them or leave them? Discuss your favorite starlet outfits with suspenders, favorite ways to wear them, favorite kind, and so on!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There are 12+ threads on braces in general attire this seeming to be the main one.
Im sure there's a lot of info there at least for a starting off point.

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I really love suspender skirts that were popular in the late 30s- they weren't detachable suspenders but attached, usually to a high waistband, like a jumper. So fun! There were lots of them that were embroidered, or there were belts that had suspenders attached that were embroidered in the Alpine style. These pictures aren't the best examples, but I did a blog post on Alpine style today, actually!

SayCici

Practically Family
I'm pretty crazy about them, personally.

shoparndcorner-9849.jpg

Margaret Sullavan from The Shop Around the Corner. I want to re-create this outfit - I love that the suspenders are crossed in the front and back.

4191161165_d7505cce36_o.png

4191161191_976c354abe_o.png

Jean Arthur wearing a pair of trousers with folksy suspenders.

SayCici

Practically Family
Lauren, I saw your post actually! It reminded me that I need to make more up for myself.

LD, I figured that there would be a post for dudes about it, but the kind of suspenders worn by women, and the style in which they are worn or decorated, is pretty different from what is worn by men. It'd be like posting about women's suits in general attire - they have the same name and maybe are worn to the same places but are different beasts.

SayCici

Practically Family
Oh, and Lauren is right in that usually they seem to be attached to the clothing! Both of the examples I posted you can see are part of the garment, men's are usually interchangeable. :)

Lauren

I really love those ones you posted!! Yay! Isn't that Jean Arthur outfit from You Can't Take it With You?
Here's a pattern I've got in my stash as another example.
I really need to make some up, too!
mccall9641.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
Yep, I love that movie! Lauren if you don't make those I will, cute!! I like the 'bib' effect on View A.

Lauren

Me too! I have had them on the "to sew" for a long time, now. Gotta make em up! I want to cheat, though, and find pre-embroidered trim so I can make a pair like Jean Arthur. :D Want to start a club?
Here's a few more from the stash:
I love the silly attached apron in this one:
simplicity2935.jpg

simplicity2983.jpg

The last one has the belt and suspender style I mentioned above.

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
I knew you were up to something when I saw that screenshot on your Flickr! haha! lol I really adore the look of the late 30s/early 40s suspender styles, although I have yet to try wearing them. Mostly because I wore a pair of suspenders a few years back with some wide legs pants (from H&M), and was always on the fence about how they looked on me. I need to give them another try though--maybe with a skirt (like the styles that Lauren posted)? I supposed they'd be super easy to integrate into just about any pattern (with some tweaking).

Here's some pictures from images I have in my files:

suspenders01.jpg

advance_1973.jpg

003_hollywood_dec.jpg

butterick_1000_vpwiki.jpg

advance_2952.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The first thing I ever sewed was a suspender dress. I don't know what pattern it was, because I made it with a friend and it was her pattern.

n624014163_1076541_9083.jpg

lol lol
The hem has since been fixed and I've learned to stand correctly and wear more flattering blouses underneath so as not to make the waistband look wonky.

In my "Pattern Lust" album on Facebook:

5849_118588219163_624014163_2347382_4387567_n.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I just wore suspenders the other night - I sewed buttons onto my Freddies of Pinewood highwaisted jeans. I'll look for a picture. I was inspired by this great picture of Clara Bow.

3727808103_46da00f6c0.jpg

And another one here

Love these sport essentials! I want a plaid jacket with a cute waistband.

swingkitten85 said:

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I've noticed a few suspenders for sale recently, decorated ones. Some at Urban Outfitters, Free People. and a few cute ones on Etsy.

SayCici

Practically Family
Casey - haha! You should definitely give them another try, I can't imagine you looking less than perfect in anything. ;) Thanks so much for sharing those, I love the first one!

Amy Jeanne - ooh, that is some understandable pattern lust, amazing! I love the whole outfit.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
swingkitten85 said:

I LOVE the 40's snow bunny look, as I call it. I love the sweaters with shoulder detailing paired with the highwaisted trouser and the suspenders. Just imagine sitting around the lodge sipping hot toddies watching the hunky boys go by. (notice at no time did I ever say I'd actually ski! ;) )

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW