Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Double rider for non-motorcyclists - yay or nay? Which is your favorite?

natefreezy

New in Town
What are folks thoughts on double rider jackets who aren't riding motor cycles around? I like them but haven't decided yet if I think I can pull off. Curious how other people feel about them, especially those that aren't wearing them on motorcycles.

And what's your favorite and why?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I only have one cross zip: the Aero Vincent. So of course it's my favourite.
Since I still have it, it must be good for me, because I haven't even thought about selling it yet ;)
And this jacket hasn't seen a motorbike yet.

31E5DF88-887A-40D5-8070-17CAEB5F363C.jpeg

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I do ride, but I think anyone can wear cross-zip jackets. Personally, I think that anyone should be able to wear the jackets they like and not give a hoot what anyone else thinks. For example, I love my Vanson Chopper because it's comfortable and looks really cool. I sometimes get the old "Where's the bike?" comment, but I don't care because I feel great. At the end of the day, they're just jackets.

natefreezy

New in Town
I do ride, but I think anyone can wear cross-zip jackets. Personally, I think that anyone should be able to wear the jackets they like and not give a hoot what anyone else thinks. For example, I love my Vanson Chopper because it's comfortable and looks really cool. I sometimes get the old "Where's the bike?" comment, but I don't care because I feel great. At the end of the day, they're just jackets.
Yeah totally. This wasn't a gatekeeping question, more just how you felt about it for yourself.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
The crosszip is timeless and has worked in every decade since its inception. Everyone from the 1950’s rockers to the punks, metalheads, bikers etc. has looked cool wearing one. It’s the king of the leather jackets. No need to overthink this one. Just get the Schott model that suits your needs and body style (I like the 613sh and 618hh). When you put it on, you’ll feel an increase in coolness and testosterone which has been documented to lead to brawling so just take it easy when you’re wearing one.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
72E7D602-81B4-4643-B1A5-24AB11CAC880.jpeg

Current collection of cross zip jackets. I’ve never been on a bike. Don’t even have a drivers license for it. No one cares. Where I live there are plenty of middle aged ladies wearing cross zips that they bought at Zara. There are also metal heads and punks with pins all over theirs. And a bunch of other people. Don’t overcomplicate things. No one associates this style with outlaw bikers or rebels anymore, it’s just fashion. If you want one, buy one.

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
I've decided to take the dive and have an Aero Hooch Hauler on order. I really dig the look of this jacket. I live in a mountain town where Patagonia fleece and puffy coats are de rigueur. Leather jackets are rarely seen. I don't know that I've ever seen a cross zip here. It's taken me decades, but I've reached a point in my life where I don't give an eff if someone doesn't like my jacket. The enjoyment is mine! I've now found myself pondering a D Pocket. Ok then.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've decided to take the dive and have an Aero Hooch Hauler on order. I really dig the look of this jacket. I live in a mountain town where Patagonia fleece and puffy coats are de rigueur. Leather jackets are rarely seen. I don't know that I've ever seen a cross zip here. It's taken me decades, but I've reached a point in my life where I don't give an eff if someone doesn't like my jacket. The enjoyment is mine! I've now found myself pondering a D Pocket. Ok then.

Which leather did you go with?

Don’t neglect Aero’s goatskin. It’s a really fantastic leather, easily the most comfortable, with a beautiful finish and great weather resistance.

I wouldn’t be afraid of asking if they could do a D-pocket front on your Hooch Hauler. It shares a lot of DNA with vintage 1940s jackets from the Californian makers, which often used this type of D-pocket that Carlos got on his Bootlegger. It would be a fantastic combination I think.

TelemarkTumalo

Familiar Face
Which leather did you go with?

Don’t neglect Aero’s goatskin. It’s a really fantastic leather, easily the most comfortable, with a beautiful finish and great weather resistance.

I wouldn’t be afraid of asking if they could do a D-pocket front on your Hooch Hauler. It shares a lot of DNA with vintage 1940s jackets from the Californian makers, which often used this type of D-pocket that Carlos got on his Bootlegger. It would be a fantastic combination I think.

I chose the Russet Badalassi leather. I have a couple of pairs of veg. tanned boots and love the look of these leathers as they age. Thurston sent me a bunch of leather swatches and this one just looked and felt awesome. I'll likely stick with the two hand warmer pockets on this one and then look for a used D-pocket jacket.

Edward

Bartender
Here's my favorite Aero and non-motorcycle cross button. Don't remember the model name anymore, but it's great with T-shirt or shirt and tie. Love wearing this jacket, no motorcycle needed. View attachment 588836 View attachment 588837 View attachment 588838

As memory serves, this one was called the Raadjacke. Based on a vintage German jacket that belonged to John Lever, though it altered a few details (dispensed with the second row of buttons for one). This wasn't in the line-up long: it was first produced towards the tail end of the Will Lauder era, and then dropped when Ken came back to sort the place out in 2012.

It never stopped The Ramones.

Nothing ever did (bar the death of all four original members, and even that's debatable)!

Really, by, euh..... 1978? the cross-zip style had lost any exclusive link with motorcycling it might ever have enjoyed. In truth, it's a rare occasion indeed you ever see one on the back of a bike now, over here anyhow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner