Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweat Band on my Fedora

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
Can anyone help me with advice on replacing or otherwise covering over the leather liner/sweat-band of my vintage fedora? Perhaps this subject has been tackled on here before, but after a brief search I haven't found the info I am looking for...
I recently got a vintage Manleigh / Paragon fedora and the sweat band, which I believe is leather, is cracking and falling apart. I really have no technical skills for this sort of thing, but the hat itself is in good condition and is a good looking lid, so I'd like to salvage it, even if it means finding something to paste in over the top of the old band...
Advice..? Links...? Love to hear it. Thanks!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I just tried a few searches for that topic, with the intention of giving you some links to read up on it, but I couldn't find anything either. [huh]

Short of sending it off to a professional, I'm not what you can do. I've found replacement sweatbands at a few places on the web for about 11 or 12 bucks, but sewing them in without some specialty sewing machine would be tough.

I'm sure the topic's been covered here in the Lounge, so I'll keep reading. Good luck.

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
gtdean48 said:
Hey Doc,
Have you done business with these guys? http://www.aztexhats.com/hat-renovations.html
I went by their shop years ago when I did a computer system for Scottsdale Memorial Hospital. They had this thing the made a patter of my head for any future hat orders.

Funny enuff, I've bought a fedora at AzTex, but I didn't realize that they do renovations... I'll have to swing by there at the very least and see what they have to say... THANKS for the link and heads-up!!!!

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
AZTex Hats

Well, I got my fedora back from AzTex Hats in Scottsdale AZ - took 'em less than 2 weeks and $55 bucks to measure my head, put in a new sweatband and refit the liner and ribbon/band, re-block the hat and hand it back to me in pristime shape... darned thing looks new. I'll try and post a photo of it asap.
Anyway, great job. Recommended

RBH

Bartender
DocRedfield said:
Well, I got my fedora back from AzTex Hats in Scottsdale AZ - took 'em less than 2 weeks and $55 bucks to measure my head, put in a new sweatband and refit the liner and ribbon/band, re-block the hat and hand it back to me in pristime shape... darned thing looks new. I'll try and post a photo of it asap.
Nice to hear of a happy customer !
Wish you would have made some before and after photos for us.

DocRedfield said:
Glad to hear the good report, Doc. Now waiting to see the photos...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo