Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweatband Question

dnjan

One Too Many
I've been lurking for a while, but have a question to post so here goes:

Why are leather sweatbands preferred?

From the reading I have done here, it seems that they are. However, in the last few warm days that we have had here in Seattle, I've noticed that a cloth sweatband seems more comfortable while the leather sweatband is more "sweaty".

Is the leather sweatband just better for protecting the hat?

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hot and what?

For people like me, who sweat a lot, leather is preferred. My Tilley hat is, of course, cotton and I can sweat threw the thing in about an hour mowing the lawn. I can dump the Tilley in the washer to get the sweat out but a felt hat is another story. With a cotton sweatband, even if you don't sweat a lot, it will absorb the sweat, accumulate, saturate threw, discolour the hat, matt it down, and generally not look very good after a while.

So the short answer is yes is does protect the hat and make it last longer.

Johnny

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are more comfortable with a cotton sweat band, and the sweat is not showing, by all means wear it and be comfortable.

I sometimes tuck a sheet of folded paper towel into the sweat band and fold it over the leather so the towel soaks up the sweat rather then subject the hat band to the sweat. Another trick is to put a Woman's tampon in your hat to soak up the sweat (a old drill sergeants trick) I also have the Tilley hat that is good for sweaty outdoor pursuits, as I say washable. the final option, I learned about form a guy I worked with, is a hat sizer http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat-sizer.html most western shops that carry hats should carry them as well.
Johnny

dnjan

One Too Many
I like the folded paper towel idea. That should be just enough to absorb some sweat if/when it warms up here in the afternoon.

Thanks!

S

Samsa

johnnycanuck said:
Another trick is to put a Woman's tampon in your hat to soak up the sweat (a old drill sergeants trick)

Do you mean a sanitary napkin? I'm not trying to be crude, but am trying to figure out the mechanics of using a tampon...

S

Samsa

johnnycanuck said:
Sorry, one of then feminine hygiene pads. I probably called it the wrong thing. Sorry.

Thanks for clarifying! I will try this over the upcoming summer...much more sweat and my only panama will be ruined.

S

Samsa

Stoney said:
Seriously guys, I think I would rather put up with a little sweat than jam one of those sanitary napkins in my lid.

But just think, it would make an awesome conversation piece....

Stoney said:
Seriously guys, I think I would rather put up with a little sweat than jam one of those sanitary napkins in my lid.

I think we're talkin' panty liners here -- those thin jobs, you know. Cut in half lengthwise they make effective sweat absorbers, and they're cheap.
I've seen, at a hat shop, little quilted-paper strips supposedly made for use as sweat absorbers in hats. I wouldn't doubt that they ARE made specifically for this purpose, but they appear to be made of essentially the same stuff as panty liners. They even have the pull-off strip on the back to expose that bit of low-tack adhesive. But for what the retailer charges for one of them a person could buy a box or two of panty liners.
So, if you're considering this method, but the sight of half a panty liner stuck to your sweatband is something you would rather be spared, and if your straw hat is a bit loose anyway, you can apply those feminine hygiene devices UNDER the sweatband, with the adhesive actually sticking to the inside of the crown. And they're so cheap that you can change 'em out frequently during the sweaty season without concern for the expense.

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about this. I just received this brand new Stetson Open Road Royal Deluxe in Walnut. I ordered it online. It's a beautiful hat, but I noticed that there is a section of the sweatband that seems to be out of adjustment or something. The best way I can describe it is it looks like the section in question is pulling away at the edge from the inside of the hat. I already have two Dobbs fur felt fedoras (both are Daytons) and five other Stetson fur felt fedoras (two Stratoliner Bs, one Stratoliner Premier, one Open Road RD in navy, and one Whippet) and none of them have this problem with the sweatband. I included pics with the problem area red circled. Should I send this back where it came from or can this be easily repaired?

Walnut 2 2.jpg
Walnut 3 3.jpg
Walnut 4 4.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The sweat is not 100% seated correctly. You don't need to fix it per se, but if it bothers you, exchange it. I don't think that's unreasonable in this case.

If you pull the sweat down and look behind the liner, you will see the sweatband stitches. As long as those are intact, the hat is perfectly wearable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner