Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swedish M36 wool army tunics at SOF from £5 !!

ukali1066

Practically Family
I've just ordered one of these for a princely £5 from Soldier of fortune [ UK ] inc P+P it came to £12.50....still cheap
Pure grey wool...38 chest...the price goes up with the larger sizes...
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/select.asp

Slight German stylings but with some very unique rear pockets ...

Here's one being worn by actor Doug Henshall on cheesy TV sci fi drama Primeval
britj1.jpg

britj1c.jpg

britj1d.jpg

PrimevalITV_468x336.jpg

Will review it when it lands....

Edward

Bartender
I started seeing these crop up ith great reularity on eBay over the past two years, to the point where I wodnered whether they were of a design recently decommissioned by Swedish forces (though surely not, given the 'old school' design and construction?). Am I right in saying that these are the Swedish tunics I've heard of some reenactors modifying slightly to stand in for Third Reich era Wehrmacht uniforms?

Those rear pockets are certainly an interesting design detail. I can't see me being keen to put anything of importance in them in a city (what with fear of pickpocketing and all that), but they do look nice. Any idea as to their intended purpose? Map pockets, perhaps? Interested to hear what you make of the jacket when it arrives.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Some say they're ammunition pockets allowing the chap next to or behind you to help himself easily. It's a smarter version of the interior rear game pocket, allowing portage of small items, distributing weight more over the body.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Yeah these are the ones reenactors modify to make an economy Heer tunic, it should be turning up in a day or two....will post pics...if it suits me ;)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

They are often modified for a German impression, although some find them to be less than convincing in that regard. If you're 'effort rich but money poor' its one way to go, I suppose and I always support initiative over expenditure.

Photos show these used as combat wear well within the last two decades so you are probably right in assuming a spate of recent 'surplusing'. (see Modern Small Arms by Ian V Hogg). They are certainly everywhere and cheap!

The rear pockets are probably a throwback to Alpine and ski wear and photos show them being used for gloves. German mountain windblusen have them too (see below).
Added later:
WindbluseBk.jpg

Alan

Edward said:
I started seeing these crop up ith great reularity on eBay over the past two years, to the point where I wodnered whether they were of a design recently decommissioned by Swedish forces (though surely not, given the 'old school' design and construction?). Am I right in saying that these are the Swedish tunics I've heard of some reenactors modifying slightly to stand in for Third Reich era Wehrmacht uniforms?

Those rear pockets are certainly an interesting design detail. I can't see me being keen to put anything of importance in them in a city (what with fear of pickpocketing and all that), but they do look nice. Any idea as to their intended purpose? Map pockets, perhaps? Interested to hear what you make of the jacket when it arrives.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I believe that these M39 uniforms, jacket and trousers, were modified and re-issued, post-war. The rear jacket pockets and trouser thigh/cargo pockets
being the modifications. The pockets are generally of a non-matching batch of cloth. I'm sure I've seen them referred to as "M39/48", or something very similar.

The trousers really are worth the fiver, I bought a couple of pairs from a surplus
shop for around £1.50/pr. The jackets can also be modified to a "less-military"
style and enjoyed as practical outdoor wear. the armpit gussets in cotton twill
are a good asset- more ventilating and less armpit bulk, making the high armhole'function exceedingly well.

The later model (M58?)wool jacket, with the "bi-swing back" is also a good and useful garment, as is the cotton sateen version- both easily modified to different looks- at that price and with a little imagination.

There are also Norwegian jackets on the surplus market- more of a pure grey
colour and a rear, sewn half-belt. Also, similar Danish ones around.

I remember in the late '90s, these jackets were at every surplus shop and every weekend market, at least in London. Then, they disappeared for a while, came back as "vintage" on eBay and then became even cheaper than the fist time. They have been abundant in the States for many years, as surplus.

Selective removal of pockets/flaps and replacement of leather braided/football
buttons makes an improvement. The leather buttons, combined with the "field grey" colour give a more "Tweed'y" colour effect.

The trousers!

Being in Sweden, I have noticed some other old Swedish Army surplus,
which may not be freely available in the world surplus market- maybe a little more exotic. There were some nice caps, very similar to German Einheitzfeldmutzen and belts with large, square Britannia metal (the Swedish equivalent)buckles, work clothing.... hmmmm...

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
i have a few swedish trousers ,cotton twill, very slubby, cinchback, one pocket, metal buttons. Very nice, mine were are all really streaky olive coloured, but they hold dye real well.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Yeah there's some sweet militaria out there...you just need to keep your eyes open....my best buy when I used to deal in it for a living was French M47 trousers...best cut/quality construction I've ever had in a trouser

1stsargent

New in Town
I can personally attest to this jacket. I bought a pair of them from the sportsmans guide about 4 or 5 years ago and have been a regular in my wardrobe ever since. On the grey one I removed the back pockets to lesson its military look, while the greenish grey one I left them on. I mainly wear these in the winter and with the right shirt and pant combo these look very sharp. Note quite military jacket, not quite sport jacket. I also bought the pants that I use to wear camping in high school and college. Very warm and rugged for spring and fall car camping.

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
Edward,

They are often modified for a German impression, although some find them to be less than convincing in that regard. If you're 'effort rich but money poor' its one way to go, I suppose and I always support initiative over expenditure.

Yes, I can certainly understand both perspectives. For me, it's always a matter of weighing off price against features / spec: the law of diminishing returns writ large! I can imagine a lot of situations where "not so accurate" translates to "looks just fine" - remembering the hundreds of extras in films such as Seabiscuit wearing cheap, wool fedoras that look just fine from a distance, even if they wouldn't quite match up when worn by the principal cast.

The rear pockets are probably a throwback to Alpine and ski wear and photos show them being used for gloves. German mountain windblusen have them too (see below).
Added later:
WindbluseBk.jpg

Ah, yes - similar look. It occurs to me that would be the idela pocket for a hip flask. ;)

Creeping Past said:
Some say they're ammunition pockets allowing the chap next to or behind you to help himself easily.

Well, that's teamwork!

It's a smarter version of the interior rear game pocket, allowing portage of small items, distributing weight more over the body.

Makes sense, yes.... especially re weight distribution. I imagine designers of military wear can go all out for that sort of utility as they know exactly what the average user will be carrying on his person in use, as opposed to similar civilian items.

BellyTank said:
Edward, they are ankle-tapered, to be worn with gaiters.
High waisted and very roomy in the seat.
Great for the outdoors, hiking and climbing but not so good for the street, I guess.

See them here:
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/SE1002/Original_Swedish_Army_Wool_Cargo_Field_Trousers

B
T

Ah, yes, that's quite a taper! Definitely worth bearing in mind should I be gonig hillwalking again sometime.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Got my Swede !

It's a beauty....new and unissued, even had a paper makers tag stapled to the sleeve "Rappson" a company that's still around http://www.rappson.com/

It's dated inside 1944...lovely quality greenish grey wool, lined in a tough grey cotton....WELL worth the price paid....very happy customer :)

11122009349-001.jpg

11122009348-001.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
ukali1066 said:
Yeah there's some sweet militaria out there...you just need to keep your eyes open....my best buy when I used to deal in it for a living was French M47 trousers...best cut/quality construction I've ever had in a trouser
I've been hunting for those trousers (M-47) for a while now. Sportsman guide had the Field Jackets (New) in XL . They were like 2 for 20.00 so I bought 4 jackets. I was at one time putting a FFL impression together and those trousers kept evading me. Strangely enough the Web Gear was easier to find.

ukali1066

Practically Family
Truly great trousers....grab them when you find them....love that HBT material [ although some do come in a greener heavyweight plain cotton ]

They have that quality of construction/lining that only vintage military gear has

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The corresponding Swiss trousers are more civilian in appearance. Straight cut with pleated waist. They have an internal ankle cinch that doesn't show when not closed up and no map pocket(s). Fabulous loden material too. I swear by mine.

BellyTank said:
Edward, they are ankle-tapered, to be worn with gaiters.
High waisted and very roomy in the seat.
Great for the outdoors, hiking and climbing but not so good for the street, I guess.

See them here:
http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/SE1002/Original_Swedish_Army_Wool_Cargo_Field_Trousers

B
T

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
The corresponding Swiss trousers are more civilian in appearance. Straight cut with pleated waist. They have an internal ankle cinch that doesn't show when not closed up and no map pocket(s). Fabulous loden material too. I swear by mine.

Hi HJ, those sound great.... are they somewhat akin to the early war Wehrmacht trousers? I'll have to keep an eye out for some Swiss gear. :)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Edward,

By 'early war', I'm assuming you mean the 1940 style rather than the 1936 or 1943 (the dates are unofficical and arbitrary in any case).

Yes, the Swiss trousers are similar but in a heavier fabric and much cheaper, but without the fishtail back. Expect to pay 25 GBP for unissued Swiss originals and twice that for reproduction 1940 German field trousers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters