Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Sweet & Hot"

Chas

One Too Many
The annual Duke Ellington anniversary tribute show podcast is up.

We do love you, madly...
260px-Duke_Ellington_hat.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
>>Thanks for posting this, I am really enjoying your podcasts

Thanks, sixsexsix; it's wicked fun to do this. The Artie Shaw Tribute show came off very well, I thought. I just listened to my own podcast, and I have to say that it turned out well.

For those not really familiar with Artie Shaw, or would like to expand their library, I reccomend:

Self Portrait Box Set: Unique inasmuch as it is the only box set I know of that was compiled by the artist. Excellent liner notes written by Artie as well.
51IXyYuN5wL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Begin The Beguine (box set) by Membran (Germany). A pretty good overview of the various bands that Artie led. Unlike some Membran releases, the remastering is pretty good.

1018279.jpg

The Uncollected Artie Shaw: Vol.'s 1 & 2 (Hindsight Records). A collection of the live recordings made in the winter of 1938/39 at the Blue Room of the Hotel Lincoln in NYC. A wonderful compilation of some hard-swinging music from one of the greatest swing bands of the era.
85971.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
I'm doing a series of feature shows on the songwriters and lyricists of Tin Pan Alley; the last shows' second hour is a feature on Andy Razaf

Next week, it is a full two hours of that incredible team of Harry Warren and Al Dubin.

I hope that y'all can tune in.

Chas

One Too Many
The latest podcast is a special on Irving Berlin and George Gershwin. I will be wrapping up the songwriter's series with a 2 hour Cole Porter show next week.

porter_cole_piano.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
This week's show was a feature on the String Bass. Bassist Jennifer Hodge co-hosts.

n.b. the podcast link is missing from the CiTR website, but you can access it here

Chas

One Too Many
By the by, kiddies. I will do featured shows on your favorite artists, songwriters, themes, genres, instruments, etc. etc. So far I've done: Jazz/Swing Clarinet, Songs About Drugs & Alcohol, Songs About Food, etc.

You get the idea.:)

Chas

One Too Many
To all my friends and listeners in The Fedora Lounge-

CiTR's annual fund drive is on - we are already half way to our goal of $15k this year; and as a sweetener, I will be putting together a 6-CD compilation of the best musicians of the 1920's,30's & 40's (w/ some from the early 50's). These CD's can be purchased separately for $18 or all 6 for $101.9 (prices in Canadian $). Please note ~ this is listener supported radio and non-commercial.

The 6 CD set breaks down as :
The Rhythm Section ~ Bass Players & Drummers
The Great Vocalists
The Brass Section ~ Great Trumpet & Trombonists
The Reed Section ~ Part 1 Tenor Sax
The Reed Seciton ~ Part 2 Soprano, Alto and Baritone
The Great Pianists

You can donate online by going to CiTR Fund Drive

Thank you for your support!

Chas

One Too Many
CiTR has upgraded it's podcast server; shocked and pleased I was - to discover that I have podcasts up that date back a couple of years!!

I recommend the all-Hawaiian show.

kools

Practically Family
Chas...I don't know how I missed this. I have just eagerly subscribed. Everything looks great. Judging from your selections you are doing one heckuva job!

Chas

One Too Many
I apologize for the late reply, kools. I will try to figure out which 'cast is the all-Cuban show, if it isn't there, then I will just have to air another one!:)

I will also endeavour to get my play lists up to date; I post them on the "Sweet & Hot" blog on the myspace page SnH or the facebook group page.

kools

Practically Family
Thanks Chas...some of the shows don't have descrptions of the content. I've listened to two of them today. WELL DONE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo