Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing Dancing

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Amelie said:
oh just thinking of it
did you guys know any real place where I could buy swing shoes in NY ? I really need to try shoes before I buy them lol

There is the Capezio Store on Broadway. However, the only thing that they have right now that I really like is their Theatrical Shoes, specifically the Femme Oxford. Maybe they have more stuff in the store though, you can check it out at least, although I think they are a bit expensive.

Anyway, you don't actually need special shoes to learn swing. As long as they are comfortable, and preferably with leather soles you'll be okay. Do you have any vintage wedges? They are perfect to learn swing in. The main thing is that they not mark the floor or stick, so you don't twist your ankles when you spin.

I started swing dancing with Lindy classes, which is a little bit more difficult than starting with East Coast Swing. It does reflect though more of what people were actually dancing during the 40's. It is also more interesting to do once you get the hang of it. Still it is easier to start with East Coast Swing, and I guess it is a good stepping stone to Lindy Hop.

Maybe I'm just selfish, but I do wish people would learn Lindy Hop, I get tired of the same old East Coast Swing. But what am I saying, I don't dance when I go out any more anyway. :(

Trickeration

Practically Family
floatinjoe said:
Well, since I came here looking for swing dancing advice, I thought I'd give everyone an update to my escapades.

At the start of the new year, I signed up for jitterbug classes with Jim & Margie of 2togroove located in San Diego. The six-week class went really well. Last Wednesday I had the first class of my lindy session. Knowing the jitterbug sure is helping with those triple steps that I had no luck of mastering on the QM in November.

The exciting news is that last night was their monthly dance. I got to dance with people and it was great. I had such a wonderful time. I am completely looking forward to my next class to learn more and even more so, I'm looking forward to my next dance.

If you don't dance, I'm recommending you try. It's a blast.

Mike

P.S. Now I'm really looking forward to this year's QM.

:eusa_clap Save me a dance? Trix

Amelie

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
There is the Capezio Store on Broadway. However, the only thing that they have right now that I really like is their Theatrical Shoes, specifically the Femme Oxford. Maybe they have more stuff in the store though, you can check it out at least, although I think they are a bit expensive.

Anyway, you don't actually need special shoes to learn swing. As long as they are comfortable, and preferably with leather soles you'll be okay. Do you have any vintage wedges? They are perfect to learn swing in. The main thing is that they not mark the floor or stick, so you don't twist your ankles when you spin.
Unfortunately not I don't have any vintage shoes (my feet are too large for all those AA shoes lol), so I am in a real need for shoes with leather soles. I have a pair that my mother gave me last week, but they are in a white lacy fabric, I don't think I want to risk their live by wearing them too regularly, specially for dancing lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot