Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing Dancing

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Well, since I came here looking for swing dancing advice, I thought I'd give everyone an update to my escapades.

At the start of the new year, I signed up for jitterbug classes with Jim & Margie of 2togroove located in San Diego. The six-week class went really well. Last Wednesday I had the first class of my lindy session. Knowing the jitterbug sure is helping with those triple steps that I had no luck of mastering on the QM in November.

The exciting news is that last night was their monthly dance. I got to dance with people and it was great. I had such a wonderful time. I am completely looking forward to my next class to learn more and even more so, I'm looking forward to my next dance.

If you don't dance, I'm recommending you try. It's a blast.

Mike

P.S. Now I'm really looking forward to this year's QM.

lindylady

A-List Customer
Swing dancing is a blast! I've only been doing it for a year, but it has done wonders for me in terms of energy, weight loss, social interaction, and just the joy in dancing to the music we love.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I love swing dancing. I used to dance all the time, but recently life has gotten in the way. Sounds like it's time to re-prioritize.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
It sounds like so much fun! I know my boyfriend and a girlfriend of mine would love to take classes with me, but none of us have gotten our act together yet and actually signed up.

I would love to take lindy classes, but I hear it's pretty difficult (mind you, I have two left feet!). So which style of dancing do you suggest a novice to start off with?

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
pigeon toe said:
I would love to take lindy classes, but I hear it's pretty difficult (mind you, I have two left feet!). So which style of dancing do you suggest a novice to start off with?

Well, this novice suggests if possible to take jitterbug first. It teaches you the basic steps and when you learn the lindy you can concentrate on the more difficult things. Though some might say that you can just go right into lindy.

Just my thoughts.
Mike

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Keep on! Any blues dancers in the house?

Me! :)

Well, it's hard to say--I learned East Coast swing first, and found it harder to transition into Lindy Hopping later on. But now I can comfortably dance in both styles, and it's no problem to mix them up. I do find that most lessons given before a dance are East Coast style though (at least in Phoenix.)

I have six years of catching up to do with jitterbugdoll. so, I had better get crackin'.

Oh, I am sure you'll catch on just fine. :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
floatinjoe said:
Well, this novice suggests if possible to take jitterbug first. It teaches you the basic steps and when you learn the lindy you can concentrate on the more difficult things. Though some might say that you can just go right into lindy.

Just my thoughts.
Mike

I think East Coast (or jitterbug) is good to try first if you've never social danced (i.e., danced with a partner). I've seen some people have trouble making the transition from six-count dances (e.g., East Coast) to lindy, which is an eight-count dance.

Don't rush the seven and eight. For the first several months when I started learning lindy, I had to count to myself, "one two three and four, five six seven and eight."

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
ah....this makes me so happy! :D

I'd say learn east coast first if you can, mostly because it is also used in lindy--there are some really fantastic transitions from lindy to east coast and vice versa. EC is also a great way to catch your breath in a dance that's got a lot of lindy swingouts. That's at least how I learned it--might as well learn it all, eh?!

WOO! Going swingin' on Friday and Saturday after being starved for lindy hoppin' in my small college town. Thank goodness. Ever just feel like you can't stop your legs once the music gets going?!

Amelie

A-List Customer
I've just went back from my 10th swing lesson and I am completely thrilled!! I like it so much!

I think my school have a very special approach, I am taking their "swing series", and am currently in their "swing2 class". so far what I have seen is jitterbug and charleston. In swing 3 I'll begin to learn some lindy as well. I really like the way they are mixing dances :) ( http://www.studio88swing.com/ )
In montreal there is three (always there) swing nights a week, so it's quite easy to go out, I am lucky (but have really got the time to go so far :()

But as I am going to new york in may, I was wondering if there was any good place to dance swing?

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Phil said:
Does anyone know of a place to learn in Chicago that is friendly to 17-18 year olds and thier wallets?

Hey Phil, as a fellow Chicagoan with a tiny wallet, I know your struggle... I'm at UIC, and they have pretty cheap classes at the SRF (cheaper for students), but I haven't had time this semester between a heavy schedule and a few theatre jobs...

Also, there's a ballroom dance studio a block away from my place that I've been meaning to look into-- if they're reasonable I'll let you know! :)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some people buy shoes that are comfortable and fit well and them get them chromed (they have a smooth sole put on). Dance shoes tend to be kind of cheap and don't have much padding or arch support.

If you go this route, get some low-heeled shoes that have laces or a strap (like Mary Janes) so that they will stay on your feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24