Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swiss posters and showcases

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
A Swiss company selling clothes is celebrating their 125th anniversary. Here's a great site: www.papakannzahlen.ch

For the German impaired:
ab 19xx = from 19xx on

Zeitreise = time travel (dates and events)
Plakate = posters
Schaufenster = showcases
Filme = movies
Prospekte = leaflets and brochures (in 1935, 200'000 people subscribed to these!)
Inserate = ads
Logos = well, logos

10 Jahre vor = jump to 10 years later
10 Jahre zurück = 10 years back
zurück = back
weiter = next
Übersicht = thumbnails

Aus dem Jahre 19xx = From 19xx

This links to a PDF with "impressions" from a book they published at the occasion.

Here are some teasers from the 20s and 30s:

1924_2_Ernst_Kretschmann.jpg

1926_2_Hermann_Blaser.jpg

1937_3.jpg

1937_1_Charles_Kuhn.jpg

1926_1.jpg

1926_2.jpg

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
They say somewhere on the site that Swiss poster artists have a worldwide reputation. First time I heard that, but if that's true, I see why.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Pun

I just realise the pun: The company is called PKZ (probably the initials of the founder or founders), and this anniversary website is called Papa kann zahlen - Daddy may pay. I guess that's an old joke.

On the homepage, click on "Hier geht's weiter…" to enter.

mikepara

Practically Family
Nice one.

I find inspiration every time I look in here. You guys must trawl the net looking for great sites. Thank you on behalf of all of us with bearly enough free time to even look in the lounge most days. I hope that comes across as it reads as I mean it and am not trying to be patronising! :eusa_clap

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
Those black and white shots remind me of the sets for "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari". Right around the same period.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
The world's classiest flasher:

lol But don't confine yourself to the meagre selection I brought. The site is a goldmine.

Many of the posters aren't meant as scientific examples of suits for strange people 70 years later - they often are more like caricatures or incorporate their logo, but still it's just great to look at them.

(And sad to look at their "From 2000 on" posters.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy