Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Synthetic suits - Thoughts?

EJW

New in Town
I've bought my last two suits online from overstock.com. They're wool and a reasonably good brand. I take them to an excellent Chinese tailor to have them tailored to fit. Her prices are extremely reasonable. I end up with a pretty nice wool suit for about what I'd pay from a mall store for an off the rack mid-priced synthetic.....not bad!

Cobden

Practically Family
I feel synthetics are best avoided, however, fabric is also perhaps the least important thing to consider when choosing a suit. Fit is most important, followed by how well the suit suits you (in cut, colour, fashion if that's your bag, etc), then good fabric.

A poly suit that fits you and suits you is better than an ill fitting orange wool zoot suit

Mister B.

New in Town
Perhaps Mr. Lyles was gently hinting that more than two people might be privy to this sartorial progression.
Yes, of course, many, many people are well aware of "this sartorial progression," as you so eloquently put it. The OP, however, is clearly not one of those people. I apologize if I gave the impression that I genuinely believed only two people shared this awareness. It would certainly be absolutely absurd for me to hold such a belief.

m0nk

One Too Many
Here's something that I'm not sure anyone really touched on. One of the reasons that dry cleaning any suit is a good idea, regardless of whether it's washable or not, is that water degrades fabric at a much quicker rate than perchlorethylene (standard dry cleaning chemical, not water based, hence "dry" cleaning). Anything will wear out quickly with washing, and therefore require you to purchase them again and again. Inexpensive synthetic pants/suits also wear out quicker regardless of how it's cleaned.

If it doesn't stain, a good, natural fabric suit can be worn numerous times before dry cleaning is required. If you buy a $200 suit, wear it moderately, dry clean only occasionally, and take care of it, you could actually save more money than going with a cheap synthetic suit that needs washed once a week (wasting water and detergent), and ultimately need replaced every year. You'll look better while saving your time and money, too.

Synthetic materials can be used in some blends to give strength, but most synthetics that were used for suits tend to be hot in hot weather and cold in cold weather. Many people feel that they tend to make one sweat more so than natural fibers.

If you can, do some research here on vintage suits and vintage cloth / materials. The super woolens used in many suits today are not as comfortable as the old fabrics because the thread count is so high they don't breathe well.

if you are lucky to be a size that is more likely to be found in vintage you can troll the thrifts stores and find some fine suits and jackets with a little luck.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
There's nothing like that here, I could say, it's rare to find vintage suit in CZ, only way to obtain one is bay, or etsy
%211224%21.gif

Price on this one was GBP 135 and I'm still not sure about material.
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn313/Giftmacher/DSC_0020.jpg

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I used to have a synthetic black suit, kind of like what high school teenagers usually wear at the prom or graduation these days. I have since donated it because I lost weight, and thankfully wear wool suits now. However, I do sometimes wear an early '70s polyester blue blazer (lapels aren't that wide either), and a modern beige corduroy Michael Kors sports jacket that's synthetic.

filfoster

One Too Many
Here's something that I'm not sure anyone really touched on. One of the reasons that dry cleaning any suit is a good idea, regardless of whether it's washable or not, is that water degrades fabric at a much quicker rate than perchlorethylene (standard dry cleaning chemical, not water based, hence "dry" cleaning). Anything will wear out quickly with washing, and therefore require you to purchase them again and again. Inexpensive synthetic pants/suits also wear out quicker regardless of how it's cleaned.

If it doesn't stain, a good, natural fabric suit can be worn numerous times before dry cleaning is required. If you buy a $200 suit, wear it moderately, dry clean only occasionally, and take care of it, you could actually save more money than going with a cheap synthetic suit that needs washed once a week (wasting water and detergent), and ultimately need replaced every year. You'll look better while saving your time and money, too.

I assume you are getting a vintage suit for $200 since a good quaility, new suit is going to cost a multiple of that, even off the rack. The rule of thumb on clothing fora seems to be to dry clean as little as possible because it does degrade the fabric at worst and gives it an unpleasant shine at best.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner