Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Synthetic suits - Thoughts?

Zenoctilles

New in Town
Hi.

I only have one suit - it's a single-breasted 3-button polyester suit (with a rayon lining) that I bought at Target three years ago for $60. The only reason I bought it was because it didn't need any dry cleaning and I could simply machine wash it without any trouble. It was also very cheap. I wear it to interviews and other formal occasions. No one really bats an eye. It's comfortable enough, though I usually wear it with an overcoat when it's cold.

However, the day, I was at the Men's Wearhouse and tried on a wool suit. I was surprised by how light the fabric was. Of course, it was a bit more pricey ($200). Now, since I rarely ever wear formal wear outside of occasions where it's recommended or needed, I put it back on the rack and walked away. But man, if I ever need another suit, I want it in wool.

Does anyone here have experiences with synthetic suits of any kind?

Noirblack

One of the Regulars
Not since I was a kid back in the 70s. I sported a polyester leisure suit. Sadly I'm not kidding.

Even if you don't wear a suit a lot you should have a nice one made of wool. If it gets light use it won't need much dry cleaning.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, there are two schools of thought on this - 1. A cheap suit is a cheap suit is a cheap suit or 2. A cheap suit is a cheap suit, but hey, it's a suit!

There is one simple rule: You will not find a good synthetic suit that acts like wool, breathes like wool, or is as durable and timeless as wool. Period. End of story.

That said, I own a poly/rayon suit that feels like wool, drapes like wool and looks like wool from a distance. Honestly, it's am okay suit, I didn't pay much for it and I wear it from time to time. It will fall apart one day and I won't shed a tear. If I had it to do all over again...yeah, I'd buy it new for $60 one more time. It's lasted 5 years without any problems and I like to wear it.

Keep in mind - I'm a 50L with a 40 waist, that's a strange combo and nearly impossible to find vintage, or thrifting. Depending on your size, you might consider thrift stores and Jos. Bank clearance sales prior to sinking much money into a new synthetic suit.

Another thought - I treat synthetic suits like I treat wool; I air them out, I steam them, I rarely dry clean them unless absolutely necessary, I take them to good tailors, I brush them, etc. Like I said, it's not wool, but eh. [huh]

BrandonCarlson

New in Town
Polyester suits aren't as comfortable as wool, especially when you start moving around. Polyester also doesn't drape as well as wool, which makes the wool suit look and wear better. The first suits I bought were from the men's wearhouse. The suits were made from super 1000 wool or whatever they call it (the super light weight tightly woven stuff). From experience (I wear a suit nearly every day) I can tell you that a heavier weight of wool will be a better option, as it is tougher and will last longer than the finer material. (although I do still wear the light weight suits. I paid too much not to lol). Some of the other guys on the forum can probably give a better comparison on the differences of the different weights of wool.

Before you buy another suit I would recommend reading some of the suit threads on here and see what makes a good suit, and probably the most important thing is to go out and try on a bunch of different things and see what you like and dislike for yourself.

I've found the best place to find suits is to go to the goodwill or any other thrift shops in your area and you can find some really good deals... you want find great deals all the time, a lot of times you will come out empty handed but other times you will find a good score. the other day I bought a linen coat, a black and white flecked coat, and two pairs of pants all for about $5.

Brevetti

New in Town
I like textile suits. Some of my first suits were polyester and rayon. My opinion is that with today's suits being made of such light, flimsy material, why pay the extra money for 100% wool? That Super 130 stuff that companies claim is luxury will deteriorate just as quickly. Buy yourself a couple of synthetic suits, then save up for a while and get bespoke, with a heavier, year-round fabric, the kind advocated by members here on The Fedora Lounge. That's my advice.

Trombone

Familiar Face
Of the 4 suits I own, all of them were found at Goodwill/Thrift Shops, and the 8 Sport coats from the same sources. Nearly all are wool (though you can find plenty of blends), and I have been satisfied with all of them. The key is to take your time, look through their stock, always try them on for fit, because if there's one thing I've learned here is that even average to low quality clothes look better than ill fitting gold. Also ask if they have weekly tag sales, I've gotten at least half of my cloths for 99cents at tag sales. Be an adventurer and hunt.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Burn it (or rather melt it) and buy yourself as decent a wool suit as you are prepared to fund. $200 is hardly very much.

Edward

Bartender
Years ago I had a poly-gab suit which was great. Cut was pretty good on me at the time, and it was plenty light for Summer. I'd go wool every times these days for the most party, but I wouldn't rule out man-made sight-unseen.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had a polyester suit in the '70s. Back then I thought it looked funny and I was only 13. Shiny, funky blue, and it hung like a sheet of plastic. Feh.

I bought a $100 suit at Syms, all wool. Maybe not the best, but it fits well, and breathes and drapes nicely. Not for the man used to bespoke, or even expensive off-the-rack suits, but certainly a better alternative than a $60 synthetic.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The decline in wearing suits started with polyester in the 50s/60s. Enough said? It is less confortable and no one likes to sweat and smell bad. I also don't think dry cleaning is a problem. They don't need that much cleaning anyway.

PS: It is more noticable on teh suit jacket than on the trousers. Underarm area.^^

Last edited:

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I have recently bought a poly suit and sport coat. I think that they look pretty good. As I was clearing out my closet I realized that all of my old tweed sport coats and suits (unfortunately now way too small) were all wool. At work I used to wear all wool uniform pants. Recently I started wearing an all polyester uniform pant which is far better that the poly that was available twenty years ago. It does not have that cheap sheen or stretchy feel so I think it is possible to be satisfied with synthetic. I used to buy much more expensive clothing when my kids were little and did not cost me so much! And I'm always on the look out at thrift stores and have found some great buys!

Corky

Practically Family
Watch for sales at one of the better suit stores near where you live. There is usually a big sale right after Christmas and another right after Father's Day.

Put aside another 50 bucks and make an effort to get a 500 dollar suit for around $250. Try to find one that fits you properly. The suit salesman at any decent store should be able to offer some advice on the fit.

Ditch the synthetic suit as soon as possible.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I have a pair of polyester trousers that are my kick around work at home pair... that's about it. They're great for that purpose, but a wool suit is a very lovely thing. We all are saying this because we know from experience. And don't listen to that nagging thought in your head of wool is hot and only for winter. This site and others have tons of information on how to choose a good suit, when it should be worn and how. We're here for ya, and welcome to the lounge.

Mister B.

New in Town
I only have one suit - it's a single-breasted 3-button polyester suit (with a rayon lining) that I bought at Target three years ago for $60. The only reason I bought it was because it didn't need any dry cleaning and I could simply machine wash it without any trouble. It was also very cheap. I wear it to interviews and other formal occasions. No one really bats an eye. It's comfortable enough, though I usually wear it with an overcoat when it's cold. However, the day, I was at the Men's Wearhouse and tried on a wool suit. I was surprised by how light the fabric was. Of course, it was a bit more pricey ($200). Now, since I rarely ever wear formal wear outside of occasions where it's recommended or needed, I put it back on the rack and walked away. But man, if I ever need another suit, I want it in wool.
Forgive me if someone else has already addressed this (I may have missed it), but you are confused about what "formal" means.
Formal wear for a man is morning dress in the daytime and white tie & tails in the evening/at night.
Semi-formal for a man is stroller/black lounge in the daytime and black tie (aka "tuxedo") in the evening/at night.
If you're wearing a suit & tie, that is informal.
After informal comes casual (wearing a sport coat or blazer, even with a tie, is still casual).
After casual comes active/leisure.
I hope that I have helped to clear up your confusion!

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
I own a poly/wool mix suit, 45% wool & 55% polyester and truth be told I hardly bother wearing it now that I own a few wool and worsted wool suits. It tends not to breath as well as wool which means it can be a touch to warm to wear in summer. Also it can be a bit on the static side. Its ok though.....can't imagine what a full polyester suit would be like.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Forgive me if someone else has already addressed this (I may have missed it), but you are confused about what "formal" means.
Formal wear for a man is morning dress in the daytime and white tie & tails in the evening/at night.
Semi-formal for a man is stroller/black lounge in the daytime and black tie (aka "tuxedo") in the evening/at night.
If you're wearing a suit & tie, that is informal.
After informal comes casual (wearing a sport coat or blazer, even with a tie, is still casual).
After casual comes active/leisure.
I hope that I have helped to clear up your confusion!
Wouldn't it be nice if eveybody knew this.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner