Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TAG BANNED IN SCHOOLS?!

Feraud

Bartender
Lady Day said:
True. I always hated that saying, "we need to teach the children". No we dont, we NEED to school adults, so that KNOW what to teach the children. Children learning messed up crap from adults just breeds stupid adults.
The perfect statement! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Wild Root

Gone Home
mysterygal said:
homeschooling has become very popular around here as well. Many of my friends are opting for it instead of public.
Wildroot, one thing I've wondered is, with being homeschooled, did it effect how you socialized with other kids/people? The reason why i ask is because my friends kids seem pretty isolated from kids thier own age except maybe twice a week and they've become a little introverted.
Well, not really. I had a youth group with my church so, that helped me become some what normal lol

When I was a kid, I talked with adults way better then I did with kids my age, but I did have friends, not many but I did who were other homeschoolers and non-homeshcoolers. Some parents overprotect their young when homeschooling, they don‚Äôt let them associate with other kids who aren‚Äôt homeschooled which I believe is wrong. They need to learn how to cope with other types of kids thus, building their social skills. They can learn good things and learn to deal with peer pressure. Having contact with the out side world is important. I recall I was pretty na?Øve to many things growing up and a lot of kids who were going to traditional schools thought I was weird.

I know as a kid I was very sensitive, I also rebelled at a lot of things. I know that the school system would have ruined me, I may not have been the artistic vintage loving guy you all know as Wild Root today.

Homeshooling can work, it does for many people! Trickeration’s kids are homeschooled and they’re some fine kids! Well, they’re a fine family in general!

Hope that helps!

=WR=

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
HistWardrobe said:
Geez, this reminds me of a wonderful Kurt Vonnegut short story from the 1970s called "Harrison Bergeron". It is set in this futuristic nanny state in which pretty people have to wear masks to avoid making ugly people feel inadequate. Ballerinas have to wear sandbags so that the klutzy don't get their feelings hurt.

That was the first thing I thought of, too! Great satire. Here's the full text for those not familiar with the story: Harrison Bergeron, or for those preferring the vintage version, it's in Welcome to the Monkey House at your local library (unless it's been banned for causing less capable authors emotional injuries).

I like that list you posted, too, Strider! How the heck did we ever survive childhood?!

Wild Root said:
The School system here sucks, I was Home Schooled... I turned out ok...

"Ok" being a relative term, of course! lol

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
They call "Political Correctness" the way of the coward. Now I can see why.

Growing up, I was fortunate enough to barely escape the ridiculous shroud of PC. In third and fourth grade, I was rejected for a part in a school play twice and I had to resort to singing with the other "poor souls". Was I disappointed? Yes, of course. Did it physically and mentally disable me in any way? No. I learned that life isn't always fair. I learned that the world does not revolve around my needs and wants.

If anything, these experiences have given me strength.

Let me just sum it up with a personal experience that I had when I was in Jr. High -

I was picked on and not many girls liked me. To be honest, I wasn't the most popular kid on the block. So one day my teacher made me one of the two "Team Captains" for our daily game of softball. The other Captain was one of the so-called "popular" guys and, of course, everyone wanted to be on his team. I had to choose from the left overs. As the game went on, I hardly had the chance to play. I let my team mates bat before I gave myself a chance to play ball with them. When the game finally came to an end, our team emerged victorious. It stayed this way for the rest of the year.

The "left overs", whom consisted of a few girls and "unpopular" boys, were assumed to be awful ball players. After I showed them that I could lead the way to victory with their help, they began to feel better about themselves. As for me, I learned something new about myself: I was capable of being a good, selfless leader.

Would any of us have learned this during this day and age? You decide.

Growing up hurts. It's a part of life. But with the sharp, bitter feeling of pain comes new knowledge and the building blocks to a better individual.

TommySalieri said:
Growing up hurts. It's a part of life. But with the sharp, bitter feeling of pain comes new knowledge and the building blocks to a better individual.

Is that like "what doesn't kill you just makes you stronger?" ;)
A nerf world is for someone else. I was a hard head as a kid, some say I still am:p , you couldn't tell me anything I had to experience it for myself. That's sort of the reason I don't like watching sports. I would rather join in than watch someone else have all the fun. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'll tell you what I miss: War Ball, a form of dodgeball. (I went to an all-boys prep school, so we'd hurt each other to "prove" we weren't gay.) During P.E., we'd line up on opposite sides of an indoor basketball court and wallop each other for half an hour with red rubber balls. The goal was to make the weaklings cry, or worse. The harder you could hit someone, the better. Bruise-making and even some bloodshed were held in high esteem. And you know what? I loved it, and so did most of the other boys. Pain was good; the inflicting of pain was even better. Then my school became co-ed, and the game was "retired". Absurd.

And yes, all of the above is true.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I never played that but, that's... AWESOME! lol I played football and baseball with friends... mostly just pick-up type games. Also, I used to play basketball with my church team... that was ok.

=WR=

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Sometimes I wish that we could have a real live nostalgic game of War Ball with some of the other Loungers. It would be a blast, Root! :eusa_clap Some good, fierce pounding all around.

Kids shouldn't be prohibited from some combative fun. No pain, no gain.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Yes, War Ball was like dodge ball, except that in our version, one team had to stand in place when the other team threw the balls at their bodies and faces. In other word, the receivers were sitting ducks. The point was not for the receivers to dodge the balls, since they were prohibited from doing so. The point was for the throwers to hit their targets as hard as possible. Points were given according to how hard someone was hit. If you caused someone to fall, you received the most points. The most the receivers were allowed to do was to protect their faces and groins with their hands.

In those days, the parents didn't complain. They expected prep schools to toughen their boys up and keep them from becoming weaklings.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I wish we'd played your version. Never did, though. We were able to choose sides, although the stronger kids would usually choose first, leaving the weaklings with the more vulnerable positions. Since I was neither strong nor weak, I'd be lucky one game, unlucky the next.

Rosie

One Too Many
I went to an all girl school and we played dodge ball like three days out of the weak. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at throwing a ball very hard but, I am fast and so I didn't get hit ofetn and when I did, it was usually on my back side as I was running away. We also played tog of war which was really fun because we would pull the other team really hard after letting them pull the rope in their direction for a while, then SPLAT! right on their faces. We also would play field hockey and used the stick for much more than hitting the ball but... it was all in good fun, at least to those not being hit by the sticks.

Now, my students don't play any of those games during the once week they go to gym. Usually, they race or just have free play where they jump rope, ride around on this square-ish skateboard looking thing and play DUCK DUCK GOOSE, IN GYM! But, ah well.

Haversack

One Too Many
In (public) elementary school in the 4th to 6th grades, we had a version called "lineball". Simple dodgeball was for the 1st-3rd grades.
Lineball was played on a volley ball court with two teams, one in each half. If you got hit, you weren't out, you went behind the back line of the opposing team where you could catch balls and continue to throw them at your opponents. This meant that after a while you had people in front and behind you trying to hit you. The goal was to eliminate all opponents from the main field. It wasn't just mindless slaughter as actual tactics developed and teamwork applied. Both good throwing and good dodging were admired skills. Of course, it was played with well inflated volleyballs as opposed to the larger red rubber balls. They could be thrown faster and were a lot harder.

Haversack.

Haversack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier asked: "Fun! Did any faces get smashed? We liked to see nosebleeds."

Not that I recall. On the other hand, I just remembered another rule-twist. If you caught a ball thrown at you clean, (no bounces or fumbles), the guy who threw it at you was out. Also. there were always 6-12 balls in the game.

Haversack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany