Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taken the plunge

daggerlee

New in Town
Hi,

This is actually my second purchase. I already have a pretty generic foldable fedora from the Village Hat shop that I bought for more than the one I just won, back when i didn't know any better :rolleyes:

I hail from Philadlephia but I am in New Haven Connecticutt right now for school. I've always been interested in early and middle 20th century clothing, first evidenced by my buying of a pocketwatch in the 9th grade :) (which sadly is lost in my house) I'm very interested in getting the 'vintage look' or at least getting a 'stylish look' and this forum has been extremely helpful so far

I definitely will take pics when I get it!

Very nice. I have a Dobbs theme hat bias though. ;) I love all of their name hats from the Jolly Rounder to the Palomino. Star Stream is a new one to me though. I think it refers to the 1962 TWA Star Stream airplane but I could be wrong. Many hats of Stetson were also named after airplanes such as the Stratoliner, Flagship and some others I cannot remember. :)
When you get it take losts of pictures---especially the inside. ;) Here is a picture the plane that might have inspired the hat:

62twastarstream.jpg

Regards to all,

J

daggerlee

New in Town
Thanks for the info! 1960s huh - is Dobbs still a good hat company back then? Do you think this hat would hold up in the rain?

At that point in their history, their hats were still nice. They were inventive and still concerned with quality and style.
You could probably walk around in the rain all day with that hat on and it still wouldn't get wet on the inside of that hat. I know. I have done it with a Dobbs of that same vintage. Only thing is it might seep through the top of the crown after about four hours of being in the rain due to the center dent or top bash collecting enough water to drink. :p
In short, I think it will hold up. :)

Regards to all,

J

daggerlee

New in Town
Just got the hat today. Very pleased. It's a little tight but I also haven't cut my hair in about three months. It also has a sort of weird smell, as if it's been in a smoker's house. I attacked it with some "Febreze" fabric refresher and it's doing a little better. Does anybody have any tips for getting rid of strange smells?

The brim is about 1.75" and the crown is 5" at its tallest (the middle) and 4" in the side. I think it's tapered from the side and the front.

Here are some pictures (click on them)

I just won this hat on eBay. seems to be same style, different company and color. With a brown and grey one, all I need is a black one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8166522880&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Next up, looking for some earlier hats, from the 20s and 30s, with wider brims and teardrop/c-crowns. But I think those can wait for a while, I'm a poor college student after all :cry:

Very nice. I am glad you are happy with the hat.
Was the pin in the last picture on the hat ribbon? It sort of looks like the Star Stream airplane shape. :cool2: Looks silver plated.
To get rid of the smell on the hat, just set it outside in a safe place during the day time. Airing it out like that should do the trick. Don't do it at night because if you have a raccon problem like we do around here then they might be the ones wearing it. You don't want to scare the neighbors. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo