Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tales Of The Gold Monkey - DVD

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I just saw another favorite from my youth is also on the DVD now: Voyagers!
51WHyove%2BdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Doesn't quit hold up to the way I remember it but still fun. And it was all about getting kids interested in history. At the end of each show they even said, "Learn more about (whatever it was that week) at your local library." Very kid friendly if your looking for other shows Rats.

-SH-

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The one Voyagers episode I still can remember(!) is when they meet Thomas Edison. Edison takes apart the Omni (had to look *that* up) and Bogg was quite worried that they'd be stranded in the 19th Century. One of Edison's cronies says something like, "Don't worry, he'll be able to put it back together", as the camera shows Edison looking all intense at how the device is constructed.

Voyagers definitely "cooled out" many an historical figure and I guess that was the purpose, apart from being entertaining.

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Folks,

Just picked up the Gold Monkey complete series DVD at Best Buy. It is on sale now for $19.95. Regular Price $34.95. Good time to get it, at an affordable price!

bbc1969 said:
Folks,

Just picked up the Gold Monkey complete series DVD at Best Buy. It is on sale now for $19.95. Regular Price $34.95. Good time to get it, at an affordable price!

Oh cheese! Now that sounds like my kind of price. I'll run down and get it when I get the chance. :D
I realize that Hollywood NEVER got history right. If you are watching a movie about a historical event or set in a time before this then forget about getting your history from Hollywood. You will ALWAYS be disappointed. [huh]

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
What an awesome thread. I loved these shows as a kid. TOTGM and BEBA were just awesome Indiana Jones knockoffs that were on weekly. Too bad they didn't last very long. In fairness, however, these 2 are campy but still entertaining. Even today, they are not bad to watch.

DON'T make the mistake I did of watching re-runs of "the A-Team", "The Incredible Hulk", " Wonder Woman" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" recently. In my simple childhood memories they were the greatest; as an adult, they are so bad it's shocking. I refuse to watch "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" out of fear that they are total crap and I want to remember them as awesome 70s TV. I don't want to ruin them for myself.lol

bil_maxx said:
What an awesome thread. I loved these shows as a kid. TOTGM and BEBA were just awesome Indiana Jones knockoffs that were on weekly. Too bad they didn't last very long. In fairness, however, these 2 are campy but still entertaining. Even today, they are not bad to watch.

DON'T make the mistake I did of watching re-runs of "the A-Team", "The Incredible Hulk", " Wonder Woman" and "The Dukes of Hazzard" recently. In my simple childhood memories they were the greatest; as an adult, they are so bad it's shocking. I refuse to watch "The Six Million Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman" out of fear that they are total crap and I want to remember them as awesome 70s TV. I don't want to ruin them for myself.lol

The Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman were always crap to me but.....lol
Leave my Dukes of Hazzard and A-Team alone. They still work for me. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Gold Monkey & Vicodin

bbc1969 said:
Folks,
Now see what you made me do! I had to be on the other side of town this afternoon for the officer meeting for our motorcycle club, so I stopped at Best Buy, they had trouble finding it. Non of them were even born when this show came out! Watched the opining scenes, just as bad as I remembered. Then there she was, in all her glory Cutters Goose, worth every penny! Man I wish Gooses [yes, Gooses] were not completely out of my price range, fly air shows, and go up to Canada, what more could you ask for? Wish I had this set two years ago when I was recovering from surgery, Vicodin and this movie, a match made in heaven!

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
I remember watching this as a kid and LOVING it. I will be getting it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fluff "brain-baloney" TV. One cannot expect and network TV show to be equal to the Royal Shakespeare Co. As long as one remembers that, one will not be disappointed.

Pete

bbc1969

Familiar Face
Had a chance to watch a few episodes over the last week. Sometimes a little campy but worth the price.

The making of interviews in the extras was interesting. Seems Bellisario was insisting on continuing to move away from the campy "ape boy" of the week kind of stuff to more realistic story plots. Evidently ABC gave lots of push back. The ratings numbers were good enough that most thought it would go up to four or six seasons. Was even a top rated show in Australia!

Silly, silly ABC.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Second Child Hood

I noticed that a lot of you watched Tales Of The Gold Monkey when you were young, and it just isn't giving you that warm fuzzy feeling you got back then when you watched it! I seem to be lucky, I was an adult when I watched it the first time and I would get all hung up on all the historical inaccuracies, which of course ruined it at the time. Now I am lets just say older, maybe a second child hood, I don't know, but I really am getting into it! I no longer care that Jake could not have been a member of the AVG, or that the Zero had not even flown in 1938. They had a good cast, and it is a shame it was cancelled! Of course the real star was so good and photographed so well that footage of her have been used in many films since the cancellation of TOGM, including an episode of Quantum Leap! I am talking about the beautiful Grumman Goose! Glad I spent the 20 bucks, worth every penny, and I still have two thirds of the episodes to go, and bonus tracks!

Stearmen said:
I noticed that a lot of you watched Tales Of The Gold Monkey when you were young, and it just isn't giving you that warm fuzzy feeling you got back then when you watched it! I seem to be lucky, I was an adult when I watched it the first time and I would get all hung up on all the historical inaccuracies, which of course ruined it at the time. Now I am lets just say older, maybe a second child hood, I don't know, but I really am getting into it! I no longer care that Jake could not have been a member of the AVG, or that the Zero had not even flown in 1938. They had a good cast, and it is a shame it was cancelled! Of course the real star was so good and photographed so well that footage of her have been used in many films since the cancellation of TOGM, including an episode of Quantum Leap! I am talking about the beautiful Grumman Goose! Glad I spent the 20 bucks, worth every penny, and I still have two thirds of the episodes to go, and bonus tracks!

I am glad you like it. See? We convinced you. ;) :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I am glad you like it. See? We convinced you. ;) :p
Thanks, and see, getting older does have it's advantages! Almost through with the second disc, trying to drag it out. I found out that I have not seen some of the episodes, either first run or in reruns. Correct me if I am wrong, didn't ABC move TOTGM around to different time slots? I seem to remember that I some times would tune in, and no show that night.

Stearmen said:
Thanks, and see, getting older does have it's advantages! Almost through with the second disc, trying to drag it out. I found out that I have not seen some of the episodes, either first run or in reruns. Correct me if I am wrong, didn't ABC move TOTGM around to different time slots? I seem to remember that I some times would tune in, and no show that night.

That sounds about right. My father and I would actually watch it so he was likely just as into the show as I was. We even watched Dukes of Hazzard together. lol lol
If we missed a show or they moved it around that would not have been good for us. :eusa_doh:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Watched this as a child when originally broadcast and loved it. Bought the DVD box set last summer and loved it. There's a few episodes which were weak, but most were strong, and a few were excellent. They even started a multi-episode story arc with the volcano chasing everyone off the island. Jeff McKay is always great playing a drunk (a role he did well in real life, too), Stephen Collins never dropped the ball, and Roddy McDowall brought class to the whole experience. As for Marta Dubois in her prime... mmmmmmmm.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
I'm still watching; trying to draw out the experience by only putting it on once or twice a week, as though it were part of a regular rotation.
That's the best way to watch a series on DVD. I did that with Miami Vice and stretched it out for a year.
I saw that Bring 'Em Back Alive was mentioned earlier in the thread.
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that series was ever released on DVD. I would buy it if it was available. Edit: Looks like it may have been released, unless this is a pirated version or a burn of a VHS or television version.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails