Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talk About Your Desk Lamps

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I'm trying to build a vintage-style office at work. My latest pursuit is that of a vintage desk lamp.

I've looked at a variety of old movies where offices are featured and see 4types of lamps used.

1/ The banker's light (usually in bakelite - which is what I really want)

2/ Regular lamp that could be used anywhere (BORING)

3/ Gooseneck lamp.

4/ Wide florescent type.

Which do you all perfer and/or have? I want something that takes a regular bulb rather than a tube.

Thanks!

Our Favorite Auction Site

You may wish to run a few searches on Ebay for desk lamps using:
vintage
a date like 1940's
or a style such as art deco

As the modifiyers and see what you can call up. That will give you some ideas.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
You may wish to run a few searches on Ebay for desk lamps...

Oh, I know how to find 'em. Winning them has been a different story, however. Soooooo close.

I just wanted to read the opinions of others, as to what loungers like to use (or would like to use) on their desks.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'm a fan of the traditional banker's lamp with the green glass shade, like the one below:
bankerslamp.jpg

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i have an interesting 30s(?) podium type lamp. i actually dont know what it was but its my desk lamp now with the little chain pull. its neat but the only problem is it has a metal shade and that gets real hot after a few minutes...
here it is...(i just found the pic) its not very big
DeskLamp.jpg

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
russa11 said:
That's a nice lamp. Is that a Bakelite lamp? I saw a similar one on ebay.

It is bakelite. There are a few on Ebay right now in different styles, all from the Atlas Company of Brooklyn. I'd love to learn the history of the company but my Google searches haven't turned up anything other than lamp auctions.

I'll also need to tips on how to clean it up. It looks in great condition but there are some rough parts. The cord and socket will also need to be looked at. I'd hate for it to burn up on my desk. My boss probably wouldn't like it either. lol

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Why not fluorescent? They are very vintage. Thomas Edison invented a fluorescent lamp in 1896, and by 1904 they were being installed in stores and offices. I have a vintage fluorescent desk lamp because as an illustrator I need a lot of light, and the bulb lamps are too much of a spotlight. And I can get daylight balanced bulbs for it so the light quality is excellent. If it's just the look you don't like, I understand. :)

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
Brian,

I actually have all four types that you have mentioned. You can see some of them in a couple of my earlier posts. I have bought two bakelite banker styles over the past few years. One at an auction in a box of miscellaneous junk which sold for $1.00. It needed to be rewired, but it is an easy job on these. Cleaned it up and put Armorall on it and it still looks like new. They look attractive but not really good for working at your desk. The long light bulb also makes the lamp hot if left on for a period of time. (Compact fluorescent now available in this style bulb, but I have not tried them yet).

I have a two tube fluorescent over my work bench. Plenty of light, but harsh. Also these were just coming into use during WW II. The aircraft plant I worked at 20 years ago still had these on every desk in the plant. When the plant closed they removed them and threw them all into a pile in an office. The pile was 5 feet tall. They were all scrapped. That’s where I got mine.

The standard lamp gives a nice even light but not the best for working. And it is boring.

My favorite is the metal flexible gooseneck. You can have it close to your work when you need it and raise it when you are not as intent on your work. There is one in my post on radio collections that I am not using at the moment, which I bought at a flea market for $3.00. It also needed to be cleaned and rewired.

I have another on my desk in my office which I use every day. (I have posted this photo before, but you can clearly see the lamp). Also these do get hot! I can warm my hands on the hood on clod mornings.

If you keep your eyes open you can find them reasonable.

IMGP1844.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany