Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Target rules! Or...the annual repro clothing bonanza

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i used to have a vintage dress very similar to this one:
41aLD78ydpL._SS384_.jpg

right now i am REALLY glad i don't like buying new clothes off the internet and the closest target is five miles away - there are a lot of cute dresses!

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Is Target good for men's clothes too? Big Sizes Maybe? I have one close but I've never actually shopped there for close. Heck up until last year I was way to big too.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Pink Dahlia said:
Bows don't scare me. Besides maybe it's like a belt and can be tied in the back. :D
That would be better. I do have one dress that has two bows one in front on shoulder and one on the butt. Out of sight out of mind.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
lindawmn said:
It is not unusual for even some of the best designers to troll for vintage for inspiration. Fashion tends to renew itself on twenty-year cycles which explains th retro-40s thing going on now. The 40s too were a very classic era for suits and can usually be worn off the rack with perhaps a hemline change on the skirt. The lines were beautiful.

Take a look at Balenciaga. They are pulling out their old designs from the 40s/50s and reproducing them. Gorgeous!

You're so right linda. I am friends with a vintage dealer here in Boston. He has a store front where he sells to the general public, but his start in the vintage clothing business was supplying theaters all over the country as well as Hollywood productions with clothing for period pieces. Supplying such a wide range of eras led him to amass quite a large collection of vintage. He travels all over the world for it, buying at both auctions, estates, and smaller vintage shoppes. He has a warehouse that is at least 15,000 sq.ft.. filled with clothes from all different eras. He'll put some of the clothes, the ones that he thinks will sell better and won't be missed in movies, into his store. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the entire warehouse is wall to wall vintage clothes, accessories, shoes, everything imaginable you can find there. Just when he finally thinks he's organized and got everything out of the boxes, he'll get another shipment in. I speak to him regularly just to find out what he's found in the most recent box emptying project. He's trying to turn the warehouse into a vintage boutique.
Anyway, fashion designer from all over the world send their staff to his warehouse every season, usually for a few days since it does a rather long to go through everything he has. One of his best customers, and a good friend, is Ralph Lauren. He's always buying vintage, usually mens but sometimes women, and copying the styles. We like to go to the Ralph Lauren store near us, for we usually know which things Ralph has copied. It's fun to try and compare his interpretations of the vintage he buys. Lately he has been doing bi-swing belted back jackets and fair isle sweaters.
Supposedly in the near future he will be opening up a store that will be vintage clothes intertwined with his interpretation of the vintage that he will be selling. I think that it is going to mostly be mens, but I'm hoping that he'll get enough request from women for women attire, that he'll end up going that route too. The only other down side is the price. His things can be pricey, it'd probably be cheaper for me to buy an actual vintage outfit in mint condition than to buy RL's take on it.

Daisy Buchanan

I went to Target yesterday near my house.
They had the cute birdie dress, and it's very soft and well made. They also have a very cute 50's style black dress that is very Audrey Hepburn looking. It was very well made and well worth the $39.99, although I didn't buy it because I heard through the grapevine that it might just be on sale this holiday weekend:D

Also, if you get a chance to go into the store, check out the lingerie section. I found 4 different pairs of what they call night shorts, but I'm using them as tap pants. They are lower waisted than the traditional tap pants, but they do the trick. They also had a couple of pairs that were longer and fuller, which I thought were more accurate but they didn't have my size:(. I'm gonna check the website to see if I can get them online. They are basically selling them as night shorts to wear under shorter night gowns. The had satin, which I think is more accurate, and some other kind of stretchy material that I wasn't too keen on. You kind of have to really look for them. At the store I was at, they were hidden at the lowest part of the rack, behind a bunch of other types of sleepwear. But, if you can find a few pairs and you like tap pants these might be a good option for you:)

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Shimmy Sally said:
My problem with those places like is the sizing is for a B-cup which is too small for me. I have to buy things to fit the bodice, then adjust the rest, which is a pain with armholes and necklines.

YES! I feel your pain. I need to stock up on some more blouses and the like, but I never have any luck. Thank God for tailoring lol

Ha, I was in an antique store the other day trying on the most adorable 1930s little black dress...complete with a lace peter pan collar! I didn't even tug on the stupid thing when one of the seams split up the front :eek: Luckily, the lady at the shop said she'd sew it right back up and reinforce the seams. Whoops!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I've gotten some cute things at Target, but right now Payless is the place to go for vintage style wedges and espadrilles. I picked up 2 pair of these at lunch today, one in natural and one in a light turqouise blue - for $6/pair!

053273_thumb.gif

Miss_Bella_Hell

goldwyn girl said:
I saw the coral dress in a magazine today so I popped to Target to look at it. Well of course they did'nt have any. They are on line.

418-NfiNfWL.jpg

I went to the store and tried this on; the size 6 fit at the waist but was a bit snug at the bust; so it runs about a size small. I LOVED IT! I would covet it if I saw it on someone. But I didn't buy it because I'm being good.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Hamilton_Honey said:
I found this blouse at Target on clearance for $9! It's a sheer fabric, and perfect for summer, and sooooo vintage style! really comfy too. The bow at the neck can also be worn down in a v-neck style. I'm a happy girl!

NewBlouse.jpg

CUTE!! You look simply darling!

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Hamilton_Honey, I saw that blouse today and it looks so pretty on you I just may have to go back and get it. I bought the floral dress in the coral. The size was a problem, a 4 in the waist and an 8 in the bust, so I bought the 8 and am now taking it apart at the waist to make it fit. I also tried this one, below, on but there was no room in the bust area at all. I really don't know how the sizes work?????

41Ei3z64JEL.jpg

klara

One of the Regulars
Wow Hamilton Honey, that blouse is beautiful!
It's times like these I wish I didn't live in Sweden.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Listening to NPR this morning while getting ready for work, they had a piece about Target. Apparently Isaac Mizrahi has designed some wedding gowns that are being sold at target.com. I checked them out, and there are a couple that are pretty... one has a '30s feel to it - and for only $130!

41UHGCi4PaL._SS260_.jpg

Who would have thought of buying your bridal gown at Target?

(Of course, I made mine.... ;))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24