Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tartan plaid liners...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Where can I score reasonably priced, lite wool or cotton tartan for a jacket liner. What should I get, where should I get it short of ordering it from Scotland. Authenticity is NOT a factor.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Possibly at a fabric store? The wool might be a tough find, but I would imagine that a cotton tartan would be available.

Flicka

One Too Many
If this is the sort of thing you are after, then I can find in practically every fabric store here. Seems strange that it should be hard to come by in the US. Have you tried the bigger online stores (I dunno which those are in the US but plenty of people here likely do - otherwise ask in the powder room as there are plenty of seamstresses on here)? It might not be listed among lining fabrics because it's not the sole use for it (it's ideal for comfy sleepwear for example), but it should be there.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I've got a feeling that a suit needs four yards of fabric. A kilt is about twice that, which is possibly the origin of the expression "the whole nine yards". I suspect that a liner would be one or two yards, as the sleeves tend to be done in something like cotton drill or satin.

Scotweb and the Tartan Site sell fabrics online. Both appear to support billing in dollars, and do international shipping.

Scotweb sell DC Dalgliesh's fabrics. A four meter order (just under four and a half yards) would be sufficient to get a custom weave done if you feel so inclined, but that gets very pricey at about $155 to $160 per meter.

The Tartan Site sells Lochcarron. They charge $67 per metre for the lightweight fabric, and $80 per metre for heavyweight.

My suspicion is that it'll be cheaper to ship it in from the UK if you're after a proper tartan.

The other place to try is Etsy. I found a remnant of a cotton plaid there which might suit your needs.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
Why not try Lochcarron? They sell online, have plenty of designs and good quality, Aero recommends them for the jacket-liners.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I didn't realise that there were American tartan mills.

Fraser and Kirkbright sell remnants, and have a heavyweight (16 oz.) black, white and red tartan in stock at $20 Canadian per metre. That would strike me as the best way to go if you're not after a particular clan's sett.

BlackWhiteRed.jpg

I think that Aero tend to use the light or middleweight Lochcarron tartans, though the heavier fabrics are sometimes used at a customer's request. And a pure wool will be much nicer than the acrylic blends that Fraser and Kirkbright also sell...

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
You can also try a kilt maker if you are dead set on wool. Try USA Kilts in PA or the Scottish Museum in (I think) one of the Carolinas. If you talk to Rocky at USA Kilts you should also ask about Polyviscous (sp?) as a polyester alternative to wool. Either way, you will have a choice of tartans.

DougC

Practically Family
The saying "the whole nine yards" came from WWII. The ammo belts used in machine guns were 9 yards long...so, you gave 'em the whole nine yards!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ack! My head is spinning!!! I've been thinkin about this and I've decided on the following:

1. Take my time. Take a deep breath....
2. Rouse the old lady out of her bakery enduced slumber.
3. Take her AND the jacket to the local fabric store (women LIVE for thei chit, it's like going on Safari)!
4. If nothing shows... locally, start ordering swatches.

I want this done right, the first time the only time... Thanks for all the great advice though. You guys are tops.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
The saying "the whole nine yards" came from WWII. The ammo belts used in machine guns were 9 yards long...so, you gave 'em the whole nine yards!

There are a number of theories were "the whole nine yards" came from:

•It comes from the nine cubic yards capacity of US concrete trucks and dates from around 1970s. Widely circulated although arrant nonsense as even the largest concrete mixers were smaller than 9 cubic yards in 1967.
•The explanation refers to World War II aircraft. There are several aircraft related theories:

◦ The length of US bombers bomb racks.
◦The length of RAF Spitfire's machine gun bullet belts.
◦The length of ammunition belts in ground based anti-aircraft turrets, etc. No evidence to show that any of these measured nine yards has been forthcoming.

•Tailors use nine yards of material for top quality suits. Supporters of this theory sometimes relate it to 'dressed to the nines'.

•The derivation is naval and the yards are shipyards rather than measures of area or volume. Another naval version is that the yards are the spars of sailing ships. The name for the spar that hold the sails is a yard. Large sailing ships had three masts, often with three yards on each. The theory goes that ships in battle can continue changing direction as new sails are unfurled. Only when the last sail, on the ninth yard, is used do the enemy know which direction the ship is finally headed.

•A mediaeval test requiring the victim to walk nine paces over hot coals.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Tartan Fabric

4 yards! how many jackets do you have to line?

You could try a google search?[huh] It's hard to search from the UK for US sites, but I came up with this. Should be easier to find cheaper versions when searching from the US.

http://www.thescottishweaver.com/LightweightWoolTartans/district.html

Hi Worf,

This place is in the U.S. and the cotton is less expensive than the Scottish Weaver's wool:

http://www.sews.com/fabrics/tartans/tartansfabric1.html

I must admit though, the Scottish Weaver has a great selection!

John

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks everybody! Took the ole lady wit me (with the jacket this time) and we got just what I needed at "Joanne's". Lots of choices between wool and cotton, found a black and green pattern that fits the jacket to a tee. When it's done being "modded" to my liking I'll show her off with pics and all. Thanks for all the help and input. You folks are all aces in my book. (such helpfull folks... who knew?)

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo