Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tear-Jerker Flicks

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Another odd one that gets me every time is near the end of 'Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire'. The part where Harry comes back from the graveyard with Diggory's body, and the way he's he clutching the body and the anguish in his cries hit me every time.

And Diggory's father coming out of the stands "My son! My son!" --oh, forget it!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw a wonderful movie last weekend on DVD: The Story of the Weeping Camel. A Mongolian family helps one of its camels through a difficult birth, but the mother rejects her calf. A musician helps them perform a ceremony to try to bring the camel and her baby together.

The movie was nominated for an Academy award for Best Documentary. If you don't like overwrought, overdramatic, far-fetched movies, this is a movie you should see.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
THE HORSE WHISPERER
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe it overdoes the sentimentality, but it never fails with the waterworks for me.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Dumbo. Oh, merciful heavens, Dumbo!

Agreed completely. I find it twistedly humorous that Baby Mine, which sings "Baby mine, don't you cry..." makes me dissolve into tears EVERY single time. :rolleyes: :eek:

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The end of Life Is Beautiful.

I went on an date with my husband (we weren't married yet - we had just started dating) and I ended up sobbing at the end of the movie and all through dinner afterwards. I was so embarassed!

marilynfan

New in Town
Quigley Brown said:
Slightly off track here....

There's that scene from Sleepless In Seattle making fun of tear jerkers. Lifted from IMDb:

Sam Baldwin: Although I cried at the end of "the Dirty Dozen."
Greg: Who didn't?
Sam Baldwin: Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these airshafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin
[Begins to cry]
Sam Baldwin: were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...
Greg: [Crying too] Stop, stop!
Sam Baldwin: And Trini Lopez...
Greg: Yes, Trini Lopez!
Sam Baldwin: He busted his neck while they were parachuting down behind the Nazi lines...
Greg: Stop.
Sam Baldwin: And Richard Jaeckel - at the beginning he had on this shiny helmet...
Greg: [Crying harder] Please no more. Oh God! I loved that movie.

That movie (sleepless in seattle) made me cry at the end but not because it was sad,
#the king and i
#also finding neverland :cry: that is THE saddest movie i have ever seen
# the polar express the first movie i ever cried in i was 12 when i saw it
# west side story
#brigadoon (when he leaves and then when he comes back)
#i didn't actually cry but at the end of marie antoinette with kirsten dunst i felt miserable for hours
#The sisterhood of the travelling pants when the little girl dies

Kishtu

Practically Family
Yep, the end of Truly, Madly, Deeply, I agree...

No one has said "Edward Scissorhands"? where she says "hold me" and he holds up his hands and says "I can't"....

- collapse of stout party.

Weirdly, "Stuart Little" - my best mate used to ask me to tell him when I'd put the DVD on and about 7 minutes into the film would ring and say "well, are you crying yet?" - and I always was! The bit where he's showing the Little family round the orphanage and telling them what's lovely about which kid, and all the while he's hoping to be adopted...

Edward

Bartender
Mojito said:
Absolutely, Shearer! I have one friend who vows she sat there the entire flick muttering under her breath "No one...NO ONE....told me that Julia Roberts was in this movie".

A difficult role to play, too. I must admit that, having read the published correspondence between Kiernan and Collins and descriptions of her both in biographical accounts of Collins' life and mentions in the British and Irish press of 1921/22, I find it very difficult to be drawn to her as a character. She obviously had tremendous personal charm - suggested by the fact that two extraordinary individuals, Collins and Harry Boland, both loved her - but it doesn't really translate onto paper. There were so many remarkable women he worked with in the war - Nancy O'Brien, for example, and Sinead Mason. But I suppose the fact that Kiernan was peripheral to his intelligence activites might have been part of her charm.

I love She Moved Through the Fair - one of my favourite traditional ballads. I've been to the site of the ambush in B?©al na mBl?°th - a lovely, if rather haunting, location.

They did, I believe, leave out an affair which the Big Fella had with a lady while in England negotiating the Treaty - I guess that wasn't the nice, neat Hollywoodland romance element they were after. Pretty good film, though (despite one or two glaring historical inaccuracies). I really liked Neeson's Collins, though for my money Brendan Gleeson nailed it much closer in the RTE /ITV funded made-for-television The Treaty from a few years earlier. Stunningly well made, unbelievably accurate historically, beautifully costumed and the chracters so well played (and they all looked virtually identical to their histroical counterparts too!).

A controversial film in my native Northern Ireland, Michael Collins (for obvious reasons), but essentially well made and far better than the usual Hollywood nonsense. I did like Rickman's deValera too. Interesting speculation on the matter of Mick's death - of course we'll never really know the full truth, I think.

The last film I think I actually cried at was a rewatching of Breakfast at Tiffany's some years ago, though that was a lot to do with echoes of a messy breakup I'd just been through at the time. Great film, but I so wish they'd stayed true to the book in the ending. I'd love to see a remake that would do so.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
How Green Was My Valley - when Roddy McDowell comes up out of the mine with his (SPOILER!) dead father! Quiver, shudder, sob!
My grandmother saw How Green Was My Valley when it first came out. It must have made quite an impression on her, because she could remember the title and plot (and how much she cried) even after all these years.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
Yep, the end of Truly, Madly, Deeply, I agree...

No one has said "Edward Scissorhands"? where she says "hold me" and he holds up his hands and says "I can't"....

I was working at a movie theater when Edward Scissorhands came out and I'd stand at the back and watch it over and over. I'd cry every time at several places (his interactions with Dianne Wiest always touched me, the flashback with Vincent Price, the bit you mentioned, the end with the snow...). That was when Johnny and Winona were dating I think--what a stunning couple.

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
There are a bunch of movies that make me cry. I don't normally watch movies with animals because I know what's going to happen. Anyway my list includes:
Ol Yeller
Bambi
The Yearling
Charlotte's Web
The Green Mile
It's a Wonderful Life
Brian's Song
Field of Dreams
The Green Berets (the little kid with the dog who "adopts" Jim Hutton)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (the ending)
Sophie's Choice
E.T.
Midnight Cowboy

Boy, I must be a big sap. lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
imoldfashioned said:
I was working at a movie theater when Edward Scissorhands came out and I'd stand at the back and watch it over and over. I'd cry every time at several places (his interactions with Dianne Wiest always touched me, the flashback with Vincent Price, the bit you mentioned, the end with the snow...).

I can recite that move verbatim :rolleyes:

Another that just get me is the end of Shawshank Redemption when they are on the beach, and the camera pans up, and we see two old friends hug. And the music crescendos... Gaw! Im gonna tear up now!

LD

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
vonwotan said:
Old Yeller

I remember our teacher reading that story to us in elementary school, and all the boys were trying to act like we weren't crying!

Totally forgot that movie.

Most of the other mentioned at least get my throat tight, except for Titanic; I guess I felt Leonardo was way over the top in his acting in that movie.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Wow! People have already mentioned Moulin Rouge!, Edward Scissorhands and Big Fish...

I must add Across the Universe--I saw it last night, and I think that I was the only one in the theatre crying, but it was wonderful! Also, Queen Margot, Shadowlands, Into the West and Phantom of the Opera.

I just love a good cry!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
... and I'll insert a rarity here (rarity because it was made in 1931 not in the last twenty years :rolleyes: ) "City Lights" with Charlie Chaplin and Virginia Cherrill, it always makes me sad.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, some you have mentioned, have made a mess out of me.

The first was, yes, Bambi, I can't bear it when someone's mother dies. Or an animals, so, yes I read Old Yeller and then would not go to the movie.

I was 11 years old when I saw King Kong. Mother took me to it (20-year anniversary) because she thought I'd be horrified, but I cried when the giant gorilla was killed. 'Twas beauty killed the beast.

All-time tear jerker for me: the TV production of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman, starring that wonderful actress, Cicely Tyson. SPOILER ALERT: when that 110-year-old ex slave slowly walks up to the "whites only" water fountain in the deep south in 1962 and liberates it, omigod -- buckets, I weep buckets.

karol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't remember the end of Truly Madly Deeply but I cried all the way through the movie because I lost the love of my life, too. When he died people actually also said to me something along the lines of: 'What are you so sad for, it's not as if you lived with him', something like the sister said to Nina.
The last scene in Longtime Companion is a tear-jerker. I'm probably the only person who gets choked up during the We're a Couple of Swells sequence in Easter Parade. At least I hope I am.
Somewhere in Time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav