Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tear-Jerker Flicks

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE a good tear-jerker...one of my favorites is "Somewhere in Time", can't help it, every time I watch it I start bawling!:eek:
What are some other good one's?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
"West Side Story" and "The King and I" always get me. Perky movies, sad endings.

I always sob through half of John Ford's "3 Godfathers" with John Wayne;
a western with undertones of faith and redemption.

I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now. I can be a real watering pot in movies. I'll have to come back....

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Great minds think alike -- I was thinking of starting a thread for this today also!

My answers are simple:

The Big Parade (1925) -- Even though the very end is suppossed to be happy, it still makes me cry!
Somewhere In Time (1980)
Cinema Paradiso (1988)
Switched At Birth (1991) -- Some cheesy TV movie! I cried and cried when the mother died of cancer! Then cried when they tried to take the only ray of sunshine away from the father :(

These are the only movies in my life that have ever driven me to tears. No matter how hard I tried to hold them back, THEY WERE THERE.

Kim_B

Practically Family
Oh gosh...why do we torture ourselves by watching movies that make us cry?!

Terms of Endearment
Steel Magnolias
My Girl (the first one)
Forrest Gump (gets me every time!)
Spanglish
Radio
Dead Poets Society
Brian's Song
The United States of Leland

I know there are more...I am such a sap. Just about everything I watch can make me cry!

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Gone With The Wind
Camille (Garbo version)
Wuthering Heights (1992 version)
Titanic (but not at the "I'll never let go, Jack!" drama, but when the mom is telling the children a fairytale to stay calm, and the old couple huddled together as the ship is sinking. :cry: :cry:
A Star Is Born(Gaynor version)
The Patriot
It's A Wonderful Life
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Imitation of Life (Colbert version)
Henry V (Branagh version)
The Pianist
A Beautiful Mind

Also, loathe as I am to admit this, but lots of classic Disney movies really do a number on me. :cry: :cry:

I'm a huge crybaby, and have lots more movies than this, but my mind is blank right now. I'm sure I'll be adding to my list.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Titanic (the newer version with Leonardo Decaprio)- cried like a baby after watching that in the theatre! Actually, I think every woman I saw walking out of there had mascara running down their faces!

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Titanic and Forrest Gump also get me teary nearly every time no matter how many times I see them. Also, The Glenn Miller Story with James Stewart and June Allison...and Love Actually, though some of the tears shed in that film are happy tears.

And truth be told, I cried while watching Charlotte's Web at the movie theater in December. The part where Charlotte is about to die and talks about the circle of life, and then everyone leaves her at the fair but the piggy takes her babies back to the farm where they hatch...Funny thing is I was crying but none of the kids in the theater were.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
lol ..I'm laughing at myself, serious!...crying at a kids movie; The lion King- the end where Simba's cub is raised up by that monkey, yeah, I cried.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Schindler's List, where he realizes, if he'd melted down the gold in the Nazi lapel pin, he could've saved 10 more.

and the red dress...

250px-Schindlers_list_red_dress.JPG

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"The Lion King" made me cry as well. But then again, it's really not hard for a movie to bring tears to my eyes. I'm just a big sap!! I probably shouldn't admit this, but when I was a kid I once cried during an episode of "Punky Brewster":eek: Also not a movie, but the last episode of the TV show "Cheers" brought a tear or two to my eyes.

I think every one of the above mentioned movies has made me cry. I'll also have to add "An Affair to Remember". Although this is one of my favorite movies, there are actually scenes in it that I have to turn off. Like the annoying kids singing scene, I wish when they remastered it for DVD they had taken that scene out. It annoys the heck out of me. But, I still love the rest of the movie.

LadyStardust, that scene in "Titanic" with the Mom reading to her children and the couple holding each other is definitely on my top 5 list of scenes that stir up a lot of emotion. That scene, along with a few others, still gets me. Although the scene in the end when Rose is holding onto Jack and promises to "never let go", then lets go and lets his sink to the bottom of the cold ocean, for some reason I find that scene silly. I know, by saying "I'll never let go" this means more to Rose then physically holding Jacks hand. Of course, he was already dead and she had to save herself, but there's just something really dumb about that particular scene.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
My Life (1993)

Awakenings (1990)

Those are the two big ones for me. I also cry every single time I watch Garden State and I've seen it many times!

cooper

One of the Regulars
Pink Dahlia said:
My Life (1993)

Awakenings (1990)

Those are the two big ones for me. I also cry every single time I watch Garden State and I've seen it many times!
Garden State was an excellent movie.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Finding Neverland, What Dreams May Come, the last scene in The Land Before Time, anything that involves families or friends either losing or reuniting with each other. When the mother in What Dreams May Come reunites with her children....:cry: Beautiful.

Shearer

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
"The Lion King" made me cry as well. But then again, it's really not hard for a movie to bring tears to my eyes. I'm just a big sap!! I probably shouldn't admit this, but when I was a kid I once cried during an episode of "Punky Brewster":eek:

Oh my god. It's the one where Brandon gets hit by a car, isn't it? :cry:

I knew I shouldn't have wandered into this thread! :eusa_doh:

Mojito

One Too Many
Spoilers in this post -

Out of Africa - "Dennis would like that. I must remember to tell him."

A Night to Remember - A straightforward telling of a tragic tale.

Michael Collins - "'Why hide, Joe?' he'd say, 'When that's what they expect.' But he never did what anyone expected..."

Glory - When Colonel Shaw releases his horse on the beach...and when a formerly hostile soldier salutes the men passing with "Give 'em hell, 54!"

Gallipoli (although I do think it isn't really fair to the British tommies who also suffered and died there)

The Name of the Rose - the one face that came back to him after all the years.

Daisy, I have same reaction every time I watch Titanic. Hate to admit I actually giggle ("I'll never let go, Jack! I promise!" - THUNK - pries apart hands and watches him sink.)

Not that I don't get teary when I watch the movie. Mostly at scenes where there is little or no Jack and Rose and little or no dialogue. Scenes that evoke stories of those who really were on board. Seeing Harold Lowe and the crew of Boat 14 making their way through the wreckage, when I've spoken to his son about how deeply affected Harold was by what he found. Glimpses of James Moody, whose lively correspondence from childhood I've transcribed. Knowing how his death would cause life-long grief to his family. And Henry Wilde...in that scene where Cal approaches, clutching a child, declaring "I'm all she has in the world". Wilde was a widower of 16 months, and when he went down with the ship, he was to leave his own young children orphaned. So many lives coming to that abrupt crisis point, beyond which 2/3 of them would cease to exist.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
vonwotan said:
Old Yeller

God yes. Heck, most anything involving dogs. I can't read Call of the Wild or White Fang without streams going down my cheeks. Or Where the Red Fern Grows! I cried watching the movie Balto only a couple weeks ago.

Besides that,

A Perfect World w/Eastwood and Costner. Last scene is a 30 minute wet T-shirt garantee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran