Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Television of the Day - April 3, 2008.

Mycroft Holmes

One of the Regulars
Fisher-Good-03-01-1940-78-thumb.jpg

"TELECASTING TOMORROW ... TODAY!"

Good Housekeeping; March 1940.

Click here to view a full-size readable image.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's an RCA Victor TRK-12, from the looks of it -- the top of the line RCA television for 1939-40. It had a 12-inch screen, but the picture tube was so long it had to be mounted vertically in the cabinet -- thus the mirror in the lid which reflected the image from below.

Estes-RCATRK.jpg

This is also the most common surviving US prewar television set, "common" being a relative term of course. Surviving examples usually sell in the $6000-$10,000 range.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pardon my saying so, but that modern lass is a babe. :)

Mycroft Holmes, all the images are very cool - we'd love to have your own comments and contributions now and again, as well.

Flivver

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
That's an RCA Victor TRK-12, from the looks of it -- the top of the line RCA television for 1939-40. It had a 12-inch screen, but the picture tube was so long it had to be mounted vertically in the cabinet -- thus the mirror in the lid which reflected the image from below.

Estes-RCATRK.jpg

This is also the most common surviving US prewar television set, "common" being a relative term of course. Surviving examples usually sell in the $6000-$10,000 range.

I've wanted an RCA TRK-12 ever since I learned of their existence when I was a teen-ager. With what they're worth today, I don't think it will ever happen!

But, one of my friends *does* own one...and it works too. He bought it off the curb on the old "Radio Row" in New York for $25 in 1954. When he demonstrates it, he feeds vintage programming into it with a VCR.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:

Estes-RCATRK.jpg

This isn't the first of this type that I have seen. Sure is strange though to watch your television through a mirror. The design sure is interesting though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw