Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Television... who's sick of it? Anyone?

DapperDuck

Familiar Face
No TV or DVDs in this house. There was never anything I wanted to see, so I stopped wasting my time years ago. Probably the biggest waste of time following is sports. It's an emotional drain with no reward. I will leave the bread and circuses to other folks and I will do something fulfilling with my time. Next year I will spend some of my spare time learning to play another instrument.

H.

Foofoogal

Banned
:eek:fftopic:
welcome Dapper Duck. I thought at first you were a tv star but cannot remember his name. :)

I saw them on tv last night. It is Mario Lopez.

Avalon

A-List Customer
I'm not a couch potato by any means, but there are certain shows I like to watch, and since I don't have high-speed internet yet I do still watch them on TV. Aside from TCM, I'm a fan of House, glee, LOST, and Family Guy. Oh, and the occasional Golden Girls marathon. lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
Surely one sees that sex is just used too much.

Forty years ago on Laugh-In it might have been funny and fresh. But for 20 years most comedies and morning DJs have gone for the same cheap jokes.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My television is merely a vehicle for 1.) movie (netflix) watching and 2.) various video game playing. In either case, each is primarily enjoyed for purposes of relaxation.

In no case do I watch television programs unless I mistakenly switch the channel and end up on PBS (in which case, I will sometimes watch the BBC News or Nightly Business Report - or maybe Bob Ross).

In fact, I'm so "out of the loop" on regular programming that I can honestly say I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld, Survivor or American Idol. [huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Undertow said:
In fact, I'm so "out of the loop" on regular programming that I can honestly say I've never seen an episode of Seinfeld, Survivor or American Idol. [huh]

And here I thought I was the only one who could say that!

LD

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I don't watch an excessive amount of television, things that I like at the moment are... House, LOST, I'm re-watching Alias, Dollhouse, True Blood, Dexter... Doctor Who when it's on.

Most of what's on is tripe though, I struggle to find things to watch when I'm bored. x

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
BinkieBaumont said:
"I Know there is a thread here on the Fl called "show us your Guns" I personally find that offensive, especially images of children holding weapons, almost as bad as a site for "Hoodies s "show us Your broken bottles?"

:rolleyes: Oh brother... that is another reason why I hate TV today, it's inundated with whiny gun phobia propaganda! If you can share your off topic opinion, I can share mine, see; yeah!

I think the big thing that really irritates me on TV (and I'm not even talking about regular non cable TV) that when I was a kid, Commercials weren't that long unless there was a movie... but now, people pay all sorts of money for a dish subscription or cable and all they show are commercials! Even TV land will have infomercials late at night or early in the morning... Put on some classic TV shows instead! No one wants to buy some dumb contraption or product you can't buy in a store!

The news is very annoying to me; it depresses me to no end... I don't want to hear about how sick and twisted the world has become... Just the sound of the news casters and people of the media just sound like mindless robots repeating the same thing! When compared to the real reporters or people of radio only 40 years back, people knew how to speak! They had better voice culturing then I feel.

Carlisle Blues

Forgotten Man said:
:rolleyes: Oh brother... that is another reason why I hate TV today, it's inundated with whiny gun phobia propaganda!

I have a little boy. I do NOT want him to be inundated with a moronic use of a firearm. I monitor his viewing and am very cautious regarding what images he sees and what is being put in his brain.

Miss 1929

Haven't had one in years.

But, we have high speed internet, so we watch what we want, when we want. Some TV shows (Dr. Who, House, Babylon 5, Colbert, Jon Stewart), many old movies, new movies... I NEVER watch network news. It's all corporate propaganda.

We did just get a big flat screen TV for free (hubby found it dead in the Best Buy parking lot and fixed it), so once I take down the Xmas tree, I will rearrange the living room and hide it in the armoire (see the thread on hiding your tech in the Display Case), and since it will be hooked up to the receiver so we can play DVDs and tapes, I may succumb to a TV show or two. Maybe not.

I don't plan on getting cable, though. If they would let you pick what channels to get, instead of packages that are 99% garbage, I might want it. But I can't see giving FoxPravda any of my money, and I have no interest in most of the other stuff, sports, shopping etc. All I really want is old movies...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I have a little boy. I do NOT want him to be inundated with a moronic use of a firearm. I monitor his viewing and am very cautious regarding what images he sees and what is being put in his brain.

I agree with you, Chris, and we both are Army veterans. Children need to learn how to respect and properly use firearms, if their parents want them to eventually use weapons at all. If you live on a farm, the above is instilled at an early age, but for non-rural dwellers especially, children and firearms are an accident/tragedy waiting to happen.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Carlisle Blues said:

Well, along with monitoring, educating is also important. I was educated regarding firearms at a young age and so was my younger brother.

There is a lot of crap on TV and trust me, I don't even like watching it... unless it's a good WWII or gangster picture... and even then it's gotta be black and white.

Hondo

One Too Many
Todays television lacks so much, yeah you could say "sick" of it all.
I don't watch sitcoms, reality shows, award shows, NBC?
heaven for bid :eusa_doh:
What do I watch? Mainly movies, sports events DVR is a winner!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I recently spent 10 days in a motel room with a TV set. My sister was shocked when I told her that I had not turned on the set even once. "Isn't that what men do the first thing they get into a motel room, turn on the TV?" was her response. (I did eventually watch it once--with her.) Yet she knows me better, and that I am totally out of touch as regards modern TV programs. At home, I watch maybe 30 minutes per month, and only for a "good" reason. I do watch videos/DVDs of old movies/TV shows on my set, but that's about it. However, now that digital is offering us more channels, and some of the aforementioned are showing old programs and movies, I may change my habits...:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart