Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell us your favorite urban walking boot or shoe

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
For a good reliable walking boot I prefer the Danner Blackhawk 2, which is their 6 inch model. I have been wearing the higher version (formerly the Olympic, now called the Recon. 8+inch) for over 16 years, starting when I was a relief letter carrier now use them as my uniform boot and have yet to have found a better replacement for the money.
Here is a video on Danner boots.

Danner-crafting-higher-standards/

Al Stephenson

New in Town
Hi all,
for me Red Wing Iron Rangers can't be beat. I've worn them everyday for two years straight - only had to have the heels replaced at about a 1.5 years.

Jeff

Warbuton

New in Town
A pair of 6" 8146 boots Really good.
Ive used 2 successively pairs of RM Williams yardboots, for ages. All year. Also really good.

Initially I thought the red wings heavy, but having used a pair of Meindl Perfect strolling through the Norwegian mountains, freetime, it feels like Im walking on clouds :)

Last edited:

Eyechild

New in Town
Did anyone say Clarks Wallabees or desert boots (or in fact any of their 'Originals' line?)

Mostly crepe Soled, they're insanely comfortable – whilst still looking quite smart – and they don't break the bank. Can be worn with chinos/trousers/shorts, and good for walks in the city. Having said that they don't cut it so much in the rain, so maybe check the forecast before heading out, at least here in England ;)

Fifty150

One Too Many
These boots that DiCaprio wore on the Titanic are always pretty comfy.
71MRhPGxDUL._SL1500_.jpg

Fifty150

One Too Many
which boots are these?

Those are Allen Edmonds Bayfield.

When Hollywood finds itself in need of a style that is genuine and fashionable enough to endure longer than a blink of the eye, they turn to Allen Edmonds. And that's exactly what happened when the producers of the Oscar-winning film Titanic needed footwear that was authentic to the time period as well as handsome and just modern enough to place on the feet of their star actor, Leonardo DiCaprio (as well all the actors in the ship's steerage accommodations). The result is this perf toe, seven-eyelet cap-toe blucher that offers the support of a boot with the presentation of a dress shoe. And to avoid that sinking feeling that only soggy-feet can give you, this model features a mini-lug rubber sole that will keep you afloat not matter what weather conditions you should encounter.

jback

Familiar Face
Lots of very nice shoes and boots here! How do the leather soles work in wet conditions and snow? They must at least be slippery, or?

Jonathan

Fifty150

One Too Many
I'm also a fan of Doc Martens, especially the original 1460 boots. They're very comfortable. I wore an old English-made pair of ox blood docs the entire winter.

Without a doubt, the original Dr. Martens, back when they were still Made in England, were some of the best shoes. Durable and comfortable. The current production, made in Asian countries, do not appear to be made with the same attention to detail. I've seen some pretty poor quality materials and construction.

I'm interested in their "For Life" line. I just haven't had a chance to actually see them and try them on. I love the idea that you can own those shoes forever. There is a Dr. Martens store down in The Haight. I suppose what I should do is call to see if they have them in stock, then go over there to check them out.

What makes a company like Dr. Marten produce an inferior product line? We do. The consumer demands it. They were making a shoe that was costing a lot to produce, and sold at a higher price point. Sales were falling. Cost going up. And they saw that the consumer was buying less expensive, and lesser quality shoes. As the consumer, we need to stop buying the inferior goods, buy only the better quality merchandise, and then contact the manufacturers and tell them that we do want the better grade of merchandise.

When they start selling an Alden line at Wal*Mart, I'll wear shoe boxes duct taped to my feet instead.

juggles

New in Town
I've gone through a couple pairs of Borns that I've found very comfortable. Had some Rockports before that that I was happy with. I've heard raves about Mephistos (I once worked for the J. Peterman Co. and we sold them) but I've found them cost prohibitive.

Fifty150

One Too Many
Horween leather, but made in China. Goodyear welted. Vibram lug soles. Still pretty comfy. Better than I thought they would be.
[video=youtube_share;PMGFOn1-ebo]http://youtu.be/PMGFOn1-ebo[/video]
220226_ts.jpg

FredS

One of the Regulars
I just got me a pair of Courteney Safari Boots made in Zimbabwe from Cape Buffalo Hide. They can be ordered in Elephant hide too. Super comfortable from the first time you put them on.
Feels like one has been wearing them for years so comfy. I ordered mine with the tyre soles. Courteney’s products are made from Africa’s wild animals. Their hides are battle scarred, naturally scratched by thorn and insect bitten, making your footwear exotic and individual. Leathers and colours will vary.
I ordered mine from WestleyRichards in London but there are international distributors for Courteney worldwide. See the link on their website for international distributors.
See all their other models in boots and shoes too.
http://www.courteneyboot.com/courteney_collection.php
http://www.courteneyboot.com/index.php
safari_2012.jpg
http://store.westleyrichards.com/courteney-boots.html

There's another company in South Africa that makes great outdoor boots, very tough. Rogue. I still plan to order their RB5 Trans-Africa boot soon.
http://www.rogue.co.za/boots.html

And finally there's Jim Greens Footwear in South Africa. I owned a pair of their Bushcat boots a few years ago. Tough as nails. Eventually lost my boots when on safari and our canoe sank with my boots still in it on the Okavango.
http://www.jimgreenfootwear.co.za/bushcat.htm

Last edited:

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Probably the best pair of boots I've ever owned have come from Magnum USA.

I used to have a pair of Docs that didn't last..then they started making them in China and the quality just suffered.

The boots I have now from Magnum are amazing. Not for everyone, as they are billed as a tactical boot...but I think they just look like an ordinary black boot.

They are extremely lightweight, far more than you would expect for a boot. They have a side zipper, waterproof, extremely comfortable to wear, easy to break in, and not at all hot during summer and warm during winter.

I've worn these in deserts, cities, jungles, snow etc....they are simply the best boot I've owned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner