Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell us your favorite urban walking boot or shoe

I've got a couple pair of red wing that do pretty well day in and day out, some 877s (most comfy) and a pair of 8166. Had some 875s too, but after 4 rebuilds I retired them. I've also got a pair of Frye 12R engineer boots that are surprisingly comfortable. Spent a winter in Eastern Europe with them as my only shoes with no complaints.
Thick wool socks help, even in hot weather. Wool wicks moisture away from your skin and helps prevent blisters

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Probably the best pair of boots I've ever owned have come from Magnum USA.

I used to have a pair of Docs that didn't last..then they started making them in China and the quality just suffered.

The boots I have now from Magnum are amazing. Not for everyone, as they are billed as a tactical boot...but I think they just look like an ordinary black boot.

They are extremely lightweight, far more than you would expect for a boot. They have a side zipper, waterproof, extremely comfortable to wear, easy to break in, and not at all hot during summer and warm during winter.

I've worn these in deserts, cities, jungles, snow etc....they are simply the best boot I've owned.

I've had a pair of Dr Martens For Life as my primary work footwear for four years and they've stood up really well.... that might be an option...

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I've had a pair of Dr Martens For Life as my primary work footwear for four years and they've stood up really well.... that might be an option...

The ones I was buying in Australia were made in China, and all fell apart within a year. I went through 3 pairs.

No more docs for me...Magnums are a better boot imo.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The ones I was buying in Australia were made in China, and all fell apart within a year. I went through 3 pairs.

No more docs for me...Magnums are a better boot imo.

I used to wear these(DMs) all the time, average life of a pair was about 3 years but usually the soles wore out or split. Oh, and they were made in Great Britain.
Are Doc Martens now made in China? Or were they knock offs? I have had good looking shoes that look well made[sic] fall apart within a year, often they are plastic lined and make your feet sweat terribly. It may appear a non starter for some but £150+ may appear a lot of money for a pair of shoes or boots but a pair of , say, Loaks or RM Williams but they may last you 10 years and are usually repairable

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
I dunno, my pair of For Life are going strong. I am on my feet all day and I wore them about 150 days a year for four years at work. there's a lot of wear on the soles but the air pocket still functions. With the odd coat of wonder balsam (very underrated leather conditioner btw) the leather looks almost new. Best thing is, once they wear out I'll get a new pair for free since they are guarunteed for life.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
I used to wear these(DMs) all the time, average life of a pair was about 3 years but usually the soles wore out or split. Oh, and they were made in Great Britain.
Are Doc Martens now made in China? Or were they knock offs? I have had good looking shoes that look well made[sic] fall apart within a year, often they are plastic lined and make your feet sweat terribly. It may appear a non starter for some but £150+ may appear a lot of money for a pair of shoes or boots but a pair of , say, Loaks or RM Williams but they may last you 10 years and are usually repairable

Docs are now made in China. This is since 2004 or so. The first pair I got I was very happy with...they lasted about and a half, maybe 3 years. Possibly due to them getting wet and me not taking care of them..

Every pair after that was made in China. Trying to find a new pair at various showshops around the world was impossible, as I was told every time that they are now made in China.

Honestly, I don't mind though. I've had the Magnum boots since 2007 and they are holding up might fine. Lightweight, durable, comfortable, waterproof....far, far better than most of the more expensive boots imo.

You can still get Brit Docs. More money, and harder to find, but they exist.
I love my RRL "1943" low boots and Chippewa (Made in the USA) engineers.
Also fell for some less expensive Rockport boots that can't be beat for all-day walking/hiking comfort. You don't need to spend $400-$800 on boots to get quality and looks. But there are some in that range I do lust after...

wdw

One Too Many
MuyJingo, DM had (have?) their "Vintage" line, which they claim was made in the UK using better leather. They were about twice the price of the Chinese tat, but I wasn't impressed at all with the pair I got about 3 years ago and hardly wore them after a short while.

They're still on sale, but I can't get the link to work on my tablet. Just search for Doc Marten Vintage.

Last edited:

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
I used Docs made in the U.K. for years as a postie. Average lifespan was 1500-2000hours actual walking. Then I found Timberland Pro, the soft toe Pit Boss design. Cheaper, better made, more comfortable and about three times the lifespan.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Any British made docs would be old stock or second hand, as no docs were made in the UK after 2003. The factories to make them no longer exist.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2896307.stm

They started making them in the UK again. I don't know if they have regained their old quality. The For Life model are made in Thailand. They have several advantages over the bog standard ones and like I said, are guarunteed for the lifetime of the owner. For the 150 bucks mine cost me and the fact they've given me four years of hard use without showing any sign of giving in I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
My first pair of Docs were "gray tag" ones from the 80s and they were incredible boots, lasted for an age. Looked at some Chinese made ones awhile back and they were almost entirely different boots.

For me for urban walking I have two which I swear buy: RM Williams and Palladium. Both are brilliant footwear and all the pairs I've had have never given me blisters. RMs are obviously a more formal boot and can be worn with everything from jeans to a suit but they are supremely comfortable. My Palladium "baggies" are canvas boots but with one of the most aggressive soles, they are excellent at walking over everything.

Can't swear by them enough.

url

url

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars

Huh, that is interesting.

Do you know when they resumed production in England? I know in 2003 they closed all their factories there, and in 2005 the Made in England docs didn't exist so it must have been after that. Looks like 2011 from what I can find.

It's good to know though, thanks.

They started making them in the UK again. I don't know if they have regained their old quality. The For Life model are made in Thailand. They have several advantages over the bog standard ones and like I said, are guarunteed for the lifetime of the owner. For the 150 bucks mine cost me and the fact they've given me four years of hard use without showing any sign of giving in I'd say it's a pretty good deal.

I would have been interested in that if I hadn't found Magnums. I've had mine for about six years and they are still going strong...stronger than my original British docs did and less expensive as well. Can't be beat.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
When I was growing up we used to pick up 'original' DMs for £20-odd from the local shoe shop. They were part of the standard Indy Kid uniform and they lasted forever. I should check my parents' house to see if my last pair's still there - they might just still fit. They were a bugger to break in, though. I remember a friend resorted to wrapping a particularly stubborn pair in an old sweatshirt and taking a hammer to them! :eeek:

I got my first pair of Dr. Martens (1460s, black) in the early 90s, and wore them nearly every day for five years. They were the most comfortable shoes I'd ever worn up to that point, and the only reason I stopped wearing them (that pair, that is) was because the soles had worn so smooth as to become a potential safety hazard at work. I replaced them with another pair of Docs in a different style, but they weren't anywhere near as comfortable as the 1460s so I only wore them for a few months before getting another pair of 1460s, this time in brown.

Fast forward to 2008. Because of problems associated with surgery I'd had in October of 2004 to repair a herniated disc in my lower back (a long and boring story), my doctor suggested I get "a decent pair of walking shoes that would provide more support" (I was wearing a pair of well-loved Converse All-Stars at the time). As much as I liked the Docs I'd worn previously, they weren't particularly supportive and, since they don't come in half sizes, didn't really fit me as they should. After doing some research to find some "decent" shoes within my budget, I decided on a pair of Timberland "Chocorua" hiking boots. Like my first pair of Docs, I wore them nearly every day for almost five years and they were still as comfortable as the first day I wore them, but showed surprisingly little wear...until our Miniature Schnauzer got hold of them, that is. So I'm now on my second pair of Timberland Chocoruas, and I'd recommend them to anyone looking for a comfortable walking shoe who isn't overly concerned with looking "fashionable".

Zombie - I buy my chuck taylors a half size big, which leaves plenty of room for a good work or running shoe insole with arch support and all that good stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Zombie - I buy my chuck taylors a half size big, which leaves plenty of room for a good work or running shoe insole with arch support and all that good stuff.
I've tried that, but didn't find them to be as comfortable as shoes that are designed for people who spend long hours on their feet. I still wear my "Chucks" for quick trips to the supermarket and/or going to dinner or to a movie where I'll be doing more sitting than standing, but with my back problems I've learned there's nothing better than a good pair of shoes if you're going to be on your feet for a long period of time...well, that and a good cane. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails