Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell us your favorite urban walking boot or shoe

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
eClairvaux said:
I also own a pair of those Haferl "Richard" above and quite a number of other shoes, but my idea of what makes for a perfect "tool" for walking has been changed about two years ago.

When travelling, I usually walk the whole day to explore a city and as long as it's pavement and not mountains or beaches, my White's were introducing me to a whole new world of comfort:
DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

and finally, the latest addition, the semi-dress:
IMG_0864.jpg

The latter is pretty good too, but by far not the fortress those other work boots styles are.

Last test: three days, each day at least 10 hours of walking around Paris and my feet were not totally trashed.

Yes they are heavy, not elegant and also quite stiff, but I can't rave about their qualities enough.

The only alternative I could think of would be some crepe-soled shoes with a custom-made inner sole.

Picked up some packers recently from wesco and love them, farmer ranchers from whites are next...not too sure about the SD in bull hide though...maybe an acquired taste

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
My opinion amongst so many:most important and already mentioned, superfeet insoles,they will transform almost any boot,and if you're doing urban all day,you can't beat putting them inside Dr Martens airware sole, real cushioning against all that pavement,dressy too,check out the chelsea boot style,jeans to suit,it's all covered!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Blundstone 062 "Cuthbertson"

Slimmer profile than your classic Blunnie.
Slenderer (but still sturdy) soles, squarer toe. Dress it up or down.
Superdark brown color goes with anything, even black.
I've put 100s of miles of trouble free walking on mine.
bln_pullonboot_stobrn_lg.jpg

Tadite

Familiar Face
My newest shoe obsession is this:

8521-875403-d.jpg

The Red Wing Crepe Heritage Chukka. Oiled Leather construction and still made in America. Has that nice combination of functionality and tradition. I spend a great deal of time on my feet and I've become a big fan of crepe soles. I also like the full work boot but I think that for day to day use the smaller/lighter chukka would be a better fit.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
For the last year it's been a pair of Red Wing Ironrangers in roughout 'hawthorn'. Very sturdy and reliable. This week - fingers crossed - i'm due to pick up a pair of Redwing 877 from American Classics in London, can't wait.

griffer

Practically Family
My every day walking boots are a pair of current issue U.S. desert boots with steel toe caps. Very comfortable indeed, like slippers :)

Wore my USMC desert CBs all over Europe. Only shoe I wore in the day, but not very pretty....

Love the buckle boots, but thinking about the Red Wings. I need a good old WWII'ish low boot. That brown has just enough red in it.

griffer

Practically Family
Oh, and I have my eyes on a Stetson Grey Sovereign Fedora, Justin Vintage Goat Boots, and now I want a $270 pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers.

Why did I come back to this site again?

;)

Dan'l

Practically Family
Oh, and I have my eyes on a Stetson Grey Sovereign Fedora, Justin Vintage Goat Boots, and now I want a $270 pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers.

Why did I come back to this site again?

;)

I hear ya' griffer. I think the same thing almost everyday, and I'm "new in town." The FL is a great place to learn and remember, and that's why I keep coming back.

Cheers,
Dan'l

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Wow. Early on in the discussion we had elegant dress Mephistos evocative of the tweedy tailored old poop.
Now the backlash...street-brawlin' Man Bewts with toes like fists and soles that could knead dough.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Adidas GSG-9 boots. Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. I've had them three seasons now with only moderate wear to the soles. When these wear out I'll either have them resoled or buy another pair. They are waterproof, they grip any surface they're on like a magnet, and they are noiseless when wet.

pADIDAS1-3106254_adidasalt3_dt.jpg

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
Have to add Tricker's stow model to the heap of recommendations. And my Sanders scotch grain officer's dress shoes, which have been going strong for five years in as adverse conditions, as a dress shoe get's to face.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Wow. Early on in the discussion we had elegant dress Mephistos evocative of the tweedy tailored old poop.
Now the backlash...street-brawlin' Man Bewts with toes like fists and soles that could knead dough.
Yeah, when you say urban and pavement I don't think hiking boots. I mean, I have a decent collection of outdoor boots but aside from the occasional blizzard they don't spend much time on city streets.

kowalski

Practically Family
showFullSize.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Sendra enginer , Daner mountain (my favorite and extremely comfortable) , dr Martens , Tricker's (the best) , adidas (only joging) , and Ecco Biom (favorite)
but my goal and dream boots White's remain

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Trickers Stows are lovely boots and great in the country, but I find them a bit bulky around town. Redwing 875 better but still a little clumpy. I find Clarks Wallabees the most comfortable in the city. They're light, versatile and as comfy as a pair of slippers. They look good with jeans or chinos too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy