Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
So, changing tack away from the (ahem) unfortunate events of 1776 (as Jeeves refers to them), I've recently been mocked for using the word "film", in the context of "are we going to watch a film tonight?". Apparently, it is no longer a synonym for "movie", because "movies" are no longer shot on "film".

This mocking started, ironically, the day the Toronto International Film Festival opened.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Tell people who say that that they can get stuffed (another vintage phrase that you don't hear as much as you should.) Unless they want to go around saying "Hey, let's go watch a proprietarily-encrypted Digital Cinema Package,) they're pretentious prats.

So, changing tack away from the (ahem) unfortunate events of 1776 (as Jeeves refers to them), I've recently been mocked for using the word "film", in the context of "are we going to watch a film tonight?". Apparently, it is no longer a synonym for "movie", because "movies" are no longer shot on "film"...
I miss film. Today's kids can have their modern, "high-def", digital nonsense.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
So, changing tack away from the (ahem) unfortunate events of 1776 (as Jeeves refers to them), I've recently been mocked for using the word "film", in the context of "are we going to watch a film tonight?". Apparently, it is no longer a synonym for "movie", because "movies" are no longer shot on "film".

This mocking started, ironically, the day the Toronto International Film Festival opened.

I have made it into the mid 20th century, I say, did you see that video on youtube I sent you? I only own a couple of DVDs. I called that right when I said it is like all the earlier formats, just a passing fad!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The tea party protests of 2007 harked back to the Boston Tea Party. They were protesting the $700,000,000 giveaway by the government to the country's biggest banks. At the time, members of congress reported their constituents messages were from 100 to 1 to 300 to 1 against the measure. They passed it anyway.

After that the usual political hacks ran around and assumed the leadership of the tea party, detouring it onto well worn, and politically unimportant issues.

Ah, yes, I remember it well.

The Tea Party movement came to national consiousness on February 19, 2009, well after the billions,(trillions, actually) of back stopping for the financial system were safely in place, when Rick Santelli, broadcasting from the floor of the Chicago Mercantile went on a rant about a proposed program to help underwater home owners who were caught in the collapse of values which came with the financial crisis. He was cheered by a crowd of speculators when he shouted that he "shouldn't have to subsidize loser's mortgages". Of course, the commodities markets had already been supported by the government, and so the brokers present were no longer "losers" themselves

http://youtu.be/zp-Jw-5Kx8k

"THIS- Is America!"

Last edited:

Scottbrad94

New in Town
I think it's so funny how different regions use different words. I know tons of people young people (I'm in my early 20's) who use the word film, and here in Australia telling someone to get stuffed is still very much in use.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, a friend of my Dad's - born in 1890s I guess - used to call the movies going to the "moving pictures." I assume that they were called that for a time - maybe during the Nickelodeon period and he just kept using the term. He also called any place to get lunch, "the lunch wagon," even though, of course, it never was a wagon or even a lunch truck.

When I was growing up, a friend of my Dad's - born in 1890s I guess - used to call the movies going to the "moving pictures." I assume that they were called that for a time - maybe during the Nickelodeon period and he just kept using the term. He also called any place to get lunch, "the lunch wagon," even though, of course, it never was a wagon or even a lunch truck.
Years back there used to be a lunch truck that would come around to various construction job sites, selling drinks and sandwiches and whatnot. This was back in the day before food trucks became the cool and happening thing. Back then everyone jokingly referred to the "lunch wagon" as the "roach coach". I haven't heard that term in years, although admittedly some of the food trucks I see these days it could aptly apply to.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The local theatre in our Chicago neighborhood was / is the Patio. You can always tell the old timers from the neighborhood because they pronounce it, "The Pay Show.' Two theories are that, obviously, you had to "pay" to see the "show," but some say that the word "patio" was relatively unknown when it opened and people just presumed that it was pronounced like, "ratio."

Years back there used to be a lunch truck that would come around to various construction job sites, selling drinks and sandwiches and whatnot. This was back in the day before food trucks became the cool and happening thing. Back then everyone jokingly referred to the "lunch wagon" as the "roach coach". I haven't heard that term in years, although admittedly some of the food trucks I see these days it could aptly apply to.

When I was in college in the '80s, well before food trucks became gourmet, they were called "grease trucks" for obvious reasons. When I see something on TV today about a "high-end" food truck "serving up shrimp-aoli blah, blah, blah that's been pan-seared with a light blah, blah, blah sauce" I can't help thinking how far (or not) we've come.

That term is still used around here, in the refineries and plants at least. Still, it's funny, and sad, that there's a whole generation who believes the height of cultural and culinary achievement is making tacos in the back of a van.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Tell people who say that that they can get stuffed (another vintage phrase that you don't hear as much as you should.) Unless they want to go around saying "Hey, let's go watch a proprietarily-encrypted Digital Cinema Package,) they're pretentious prats.

Thanks Lizzie, I told him essentially that, and for what it's worth, I use "get stuffed" and another mentioned above, "get knotted", as my father used both terms frequently (not towards me, I'm pleased to say).

Tonights talkie in the wardroom will be that most historically inaccurate of motion picture shows, Braveheart, a term used here to describe William Wallance when it in fact reference Robert the Bruce. But hey, we came alongside Leith, Edinburgh this morning, so why not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112