Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Despite living in a country that all but floats on tea, I have never been able to get a flavour for it. Coffee has been the mainstay all my life. But not instant coffee, the freeze drying agent used in it ruins it. Don't like coffee left on the pot either, why do they serve that to their customers in American restaurants? I have asked for it to be freshly made and have still been served that liquid licorice that is suppose to pass for coffee.
There's a Kenyan coffee, known as Peaberry, which I like finely ground, made in a French press, with the water boiling. Allow the coffee a few minutes to brew, depress the plunger and pour. Through a filter if you must but I prefer it as it comes, nothing added, no milk, cream or sugar.
I could drink a gallon right now but I will never get back to sleep. It's just gone four am here and my painful hip has woken me, coffee right now would ruin any chances of going back to sleep.

I'm not so fond of Starbuck's hot coffees, especially those doctored up with foamy cream, etc. However, their iced coffee with that over roasted (?) tang is kind of more enticing when sweetened with a shot of caramel over ice.
HD

We may not be on the same page, but we're certainly on the same chapter.

I don't care for the coffee giant's hot drinks either. My Starbucks order is three shots over ice in a 30 ounce cup topped off with ice, to which I add just a dab of half-and-half (maybe enough to almost fill the cap of a peroxide bottle) and about half a teaspoon of sugar. $2.65 plus tax, and I get enough ice to give me something cold and wet to sip as It melts and I go about my errands.

My mother got a pre-pubescent me addicted to the stuff. In fairness, it should noted that she never forced coffee on me, but coffee was always "on," seemingly...
Depending on how "pre" your prepubescence was, my wife might have you beat. When she was an infant her mother would hold her on her lap like most mothers do, and every time mom would raise her coffee cup to her mouth my wife would reach for it, pull it towards her, and take a sip. Apparently, mom thought, "Oh, you want coffee?", because she started putting it in my wife's baby bottle instead of milk or formula. Yep, my wife was hooked on coffee before she was out of diapers, and still drinks several cups a day.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Maine tea protocol:

1. Steep Red Rose bag in cup of boiling water.
2. Wait twenty minutes to half an hour, as long as it takes for your breakfast to cook.
3. Throw away tea bag, add nothing.
4. Drink in one gulp.

Maine ice tea protocol:

1. Take half a jar of unsweetened Nestea powder.
2. Fill jar with cold water.
3. Put lid on jar and shake.
4. Drink in one gulp.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the UK they are known as baby buggies, elsewhere they get called strollers, they are those collapsible perambulators that have replaced the once magnificent pram. This evening I saw a young mother taking her baby out in a vintage pram, and didn't they look the part. I had almost forgotten how superb those baby carriages were, impractical perhaps, but oh so regal.
silver cross sheraton.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We simply call those "carriages" here -- you haul your kid around in a carriage, not a *baby* carriage. We also call the carts you wheel around in a grocery store "carriages," not carts or trolleys or wagons. "Get the kid out of the carriage and stick him in the carriage while I go shopping!"

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
In the UK they are known as baby buggies, elsewhere they get called strollers, they are those collapsible perambulators that have replaced the once magnificent pram. This evening I saw a young mother taking her baby out in a vintage pram, and didn't they look the part. I had almost forgotten how superb those baby carriages were, impractical perhaps, but oh so regal.
View attachment 51363
Actually, we called the old pram, baby buggies out here in the West. And yes, they did have class!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
We simply call those "carriages" here -- you haul your kid around in a carriage, not a *baby* carriage. We also call the carts you wheel around in a grocery store "carriages," not carts or trolleys or wagons. "Get the kid out of the carriage and stick him in the carriage while I go shopping!"
Funny, in Colorado they have always been called shopping carts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner