Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Bio-fairtrade-vegan chocolate... :p;););)

Trenchfriend, I better stick to "English".
Mac is now sending incoming Fedora notifications to the junk section.
It's not you. It's Siri. She doesn't understand the language. :(
2weco01.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Southwest it's mostly canvas & leather jackets or nylon raincoats.
Never have seen men wear long heavy overcoats.
On women, yes.
Although in the surrounding small towns the men in the winter wear
outfits like "Elmer Fudd" regardless of whether they are hunting or not.
2dadg7s.jpg

Perhaps up North they wear long overcoats, not sure.
14uiavk.jpg

Last edited:
I worked one factory job (assembly of electric motors) job in my life. Only 3 months, over a summer. But the mind- numbing drudgery was a great object lesson as to Marx's concept of dehumanizing an individual into a mere means of production. Compared to those who work such jobs for a lifetime, it was merely a taste from the spoon... and I know that I got off easy.

That's the primary reason people in such occupations ought to be well compensated.

Time is the stuff of life. When so much of some folks' lives are spent doing what few of us would call stimulating and fulfilling work, we kinda owe it to those folks to pay them well and to let them retire while they still (it is hoped) have a few good years left in them.

The most "American-made" car on the market right now, meaning assembled in the US from parts manufactured in the US is the Toyota Camry.
When my wife and I took our dog out for his walk tonight we were passed by what appeared to be a late-90s Camry going up the street at about 20-25 mph. Backwards. Our street has a slight "S curve" so we were waiting for the Camry to sideswipe one of the several cars parked at the curb at any moment, but the driver had skills and made his or her way safely to the top of the street without so much as a slight waver. Considering so many people around here can barely manage to do that driving forward, it was mildly impressive.

^^^^^
Any guesses as to what motivated this person to do this? Could he or she not turn around??
My first guess, based on the age of the car, was transmission problems, as in "Okay, I need to get this home but it'll only move in reverse." Second guess was that it was some kind of gag/dare, but that seems far less likely considering the lack of an audience.

My first guess, based on the age of the car, was transmission problems, as in "Okay, I need to get this home but it'll only move in reverse." Second guess was that it was some kind of gag/dare, but that seems far less likely considering the lack of an audience.

Sounds like one of my weird dreams. Gotta get home, but the old beater only goes in reverse. And a lhasa apso with a machete is chasing me.

Every morning when I wake up I feel around to see if there's a knife sticking out of my back. If there isn't one there, I get up and go to work.

Among my grandfather's reasons for subscribing to the morning paper (as opposed to the afternoon rag) was that he had to check the most recent obits over his morning coffee to see if he had to go to work that day.

Even as a little kid I got that joke.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

Exiting the freeway downward ramp just as the rains came down
on a dusty ground that turned muddy slick.
I did a 360º on my '63 beetle.

From past experience, I did not apply the brakes.
I sat there (trying my best not to show embarrassment)
as my bug made the complete circle.

Meanwhile, the lady behind me, wide eyes and mouth looked
on in disbelief.
As soon as it completed the circle, I was back on course and in my
best "Buster Keaton" look, continued as if this was the most normal
thing when driving in the rain.

If someone was to pay me to do this again.
I don't think I could.
I'm not that good a driver.:(

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana