Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

EngProf

Practically Family
Yes, and I have consumed many of them. I have gathered though that if you ask for a milkshake in certain parts of the country they either would not know what you want or would tag you as an outsider, just as if you asked for a frap from one of our ice cream stands. Although the chain places that claim to serve shakes may have changed that.
We (Nashville) had a few ice cream places that used the "Hum-Dinger" name and cups, but if you asked for a "frap" they would have had zero idea what you were talking about. However, they did make a pretty good milkshake.

I favor malts over shakes personally. A real malt is made with real malt powder. The other versions are poor substitutes. :(
There was an ice cream/soda shop in my home town when I was growing up that didn't care if you ordered a malt or a shake--you got a malt because that's how they made them. Sadly, they went out of business years ago, and now the shop is a sushi/teriyaki restaurant.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Has anyone gone for a malted milk shake recently? We have the odd ice cream place that still makes them. They use Ovaltine or Horlicks.

In my area you had the option of malted milk or milk shakes.
This was common in drugstore fountains or drive-in diners.
The difference was the malted drink consisted of ice cream, milk
and malt powder.
Horlicks, Kraft and Carnation were some of the powders used.

Not too many places make malts today as I remembered.

Baskin-Robbins still makes malted drinks upon request.
They taste a little like the malts that I enjoyed back then,
but today they use malt syrup instead.

LizzieMaine told me that malt powder is still available in U.K.
I believe she said it was Horlicks, but I may be mistaken.

Btw:
I agree with Fading Fast about the taste of Ovaltine which is
available today!
:p

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You can always tell a tourist when they look at the menu board and order a "frap-pay."

Horlicks disappeared from the US market after WWII but you can still get Carnation malt powder. We had an ice cream joint in town that had a good variety of fountain drinks, from traditional malts to Brooklyn egg creams, but they were evicted at the end of their lease by a money-grubbing landlord who could get more rent out of a booteek men's consignment store. As if there are any booteek men in this town.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You can always tell a tourist when they look at the menu board and order a "frap-pay."

Horlicks disappeared from the US market after WWII but you can still get Carnation malt powder. We had an ice cream joint in town that had a good variety of fountain drinks, from traditional malts to Brooklyn egg creams, but they were evicted at the end of their lease by a money-grubbing landlord who could get more rent out of a booteek men's consignment store. As if there are any booteek men in this town.

I would suppose that in season you might occasionally note a pair which engender a small "eek!".

I was one second away from Googling "booteek" before the small Edison bulb turned on in my head. Is the consignment store still there?

Does anyone "do a Brodie" anymore?
Assuming the definition I'm familiar with from the 70s (i.e., to deliberately spin a car in a controlled circle), some do, but now they call it "drifting". Still illegal (at least here in California), yet these imbeciles who think they know how to drive hold loosely organized street competitions to see who can do the best Brodies/Donuts/Drifts. :rolleyes:

Of course he is. All of you rubes, yokels and knucke draggers need his council. If you don't believe it just ask him.
You left out "mouth breathers". :D

3fingers

One Too Many
Assuming the definition I'm familiar with from the 70s (i.e., to deliberately spin a car in a controlled circle), some do, but now they call it "drifting". Still illegal (at least here in California), yet these imbeciles who think they know how to drive hold loosely organized street competitions to see who can do the best Brodies/Donuts/Drifts. :rolleyes:
A popular variation here was the bootleg turn. You could do it with a manual transmission by downshifting and applying throttle with use of the parking brake at the wheelmans discretion. With an automatic judicious use of the parking brake was a requirement.

Or at least so I have been told. :p

A popular variation here was the bootleg turn. You could do it with a manual transmission by downshifting and applying throttle with use of the parking brake at the wheelmans discretion. With an automatic judicious use of the parking brake was a requirement.

Or at least so I have been told. :p
Back in the days when Volkswagens had drum brakes all the way 'round a properly adjusted parking brake was a necessity because the regular brakes occasionally faded just when you needed them most. In my '61 Beetle I performed that bootleg turn more than once just trying not to be the cause of an accident.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One time on my way to work, I did a 360 while driving a Toyota hatchback.

Exiting the freeway on a rainy morning, I took the exit ramp and the
Toyota
began to rotate.
I probably didn't panic or apply the brakes because it was traveling
at a slow
pace.
I sat there as the car made the circular turn.

At one point I was facing the car that had originally been in back
of me.
I made a feeble and
embarrassed attempt to wave at the lady
in a apologetic gesture.

She sat there with her mouth and eyes wide open, hands frozen
to the steering wheel.

When I came to the full circle, I continued on my way as if nothing
out of the ordinary had just occurred.

I learned that from Polo.
When he falls down awkwardly, he's simply gets up as if nothing
happened.

Thinking about it later, I was very fortunate nothing serious
happened that morning.

Last edited:
One time on my way to work, I did a 360 while driving a Toyota hatchback.

Exiting the freeway on a rainy morning, I took the exit ramp and the Toyota began to rotate. I probably didn't panic or apply the brakes because it was traveling at a slow pace. I sat there as the car made the circular turn...
What, no one ever taught you how to steer into the skid? :D

...I dont recall how I learned to drive manual although I do remember driving an old ’63 beetle w/manual shift to college...
Now that you mention it, I don't recall how I learned to drive manual either. The first thing I ever drove was a forklift owned by the company Dad worked for. I remember him giving me a brief description of what the clutch did and how to use it in conjunction with the shift lever and brake, but that forklift only had one forward and one reverse gear. I think I probably learned by riding with the company truck driver, watching him, and maybe asking a few questions; I do remember him teaching me several things that came in very handy later when I drove trucks for a living.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Now that you mention it, I don't recall how I learned to drive manual either. The first thing I ever drove was a forklift owned by the company Dad worked for. I remember him giving me a brief description of what the clutch did and how to use it in conjunction with the shift lever and brake, but that forklift only had one forward and one reverse gear. I think I probably learned by riding with the company truck driver, watching him, and maybe asking a few questions; I do remember him teaching me several things that came in very handy later when I drove trucks for a living.

I don't recall ever having difficulty learning
manual when I began driving my 46 truck.
For unknown reason, from the very start,
I was able to release the clutch with my left and apply enough gas with my right foot on the pedal without stalling the engine or jerking it. It came easy for me.

With my '39 Chev 1/2 ton, I learned how
to pull on the choke which made it possible not to shift gears at all,
similar to cruise control driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy