Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

A bit of dialogue from Kind Hearts and Coronets, (1949):

Mr Elliot: Even my lamented master, the great Mr. Benny himself, never had the privilege of hanging a duke. What a finale to a lifetime in the public service!
Prison Governor: Finale?
Mr Elliot: Yes, I intend to retire. After using this silken rope, never again be content with hemp.

Haversack

Nothing has a hand like silk. :p

Bring money if you go there. :p

The likelihood of my walking on the moon is only slightly more remote than that of my ever dining at that joint. I am just constitutionally opposed to spending that kind of scratch on what, when you get down to it, is just a meal out. It will end up in the same place as a burger and fries by the next day.

The likelihood of my walking on the moon is only slightly more remote than that of my ever dining at that joint. I am just constitutionally opposed to spending that kind of scratch on what, when you get down to it, is just a meal out. It will end up in the same place as a burger and fries by the next day.

You sound like my uncle who fought in WWII. :p He would have termed that a "Clip Joint."

:pound:

Speaking of which, did you hear about the new restaurant on the moon? Great food, but no atmosphere.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The kind of atmosphere for which they expect you to pay extra is the kind of atmosphere people like me can't breathe without choking.

There is no meal on earth worth more than ten dollars. Anything beyond that is markup and affectation.

The kind of atmosphere for which they expect you to pay extra is the kind of atmosphere people like me can't breathe without choking.

There is no meal on earth worth more than ten dollars. Anything beyond that is markup and affectation.

There is to me. And I'll gladly forgo eight greasy $5-meals at Denny's for one $40 filet at a nice restaurant.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If I had to live on $6/day, I'd soon be joining mine in heaven.

The weird hours I work make a difference. I usually skip either lunch or supper, and eat a sandwich when I get home at night before going to bed. Breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day, and two sausages and an egg will fill me up for the rest of the day. A dozen eggs will last me almost two weeks.

Of course, it helps that I have free access to fountain Coke and leftover popcorn to take the edge off of midday hunger pangs. Sometimes I'll get really lucky and find a box of Milk Duds that someone didn't finish!

The weird hours I work make a difference. I usually skip either lunch or supper, and eat a sandwich when I get home at night before going to bed. Breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day, and two sausages and an egg will fill me up for the rest of the day. A dozen eggs will last me almost two weeks.

Of course, it helps that I have free access to fountain Coke and leftover popcorn to take the edge off of midday hunger pangs. Sometimes I'll get really lucky and find a box of Milk Duds that someone didn't finish!

Oh man, popcorn would be all I ever ate, had I your job. I am absolutely bonkers for popcorn. It's literally cooler than peanut butter and greater than sliced bread. I could eat it for supper ever night, if my intestines could handle it.

Maybe things are a tad pricier out here, but I find it hard to find a decent dinner out for less than 10 bucks, and lunch is pushing that number. Sure, the entree might be $7.95 (and even that price is growing scarce), but they tack on a couple of bucks for the coffee. And, unless the waitstaff is downright surly, I tip a minimum of 15 percent, and usually more like 20.

If I ever spent my entire weekly food budget on one meal, my grandmother would reach down from heaven and slap me into next week.

Your grandmother and mine are probably hanging out together in heaven. Also, powerful imagery of a Denny's scrambled egg dish. Last thought, in NYC, if I want to eat out, which I do, I spend more than $10, but I will tell you, when I do, I not only picture my grandmother's hand coming down, but I can hear a whirl from my father's grave in NJ as he spins away (the sound makes it all the way to NYC). My grandmother has been dead over 35 years and my Dad's been dead over 22, but they are right there with me when I spend money on, well, almost anything (and I respect what the depression did to them, so as opposed to many today, I have no complaints about how they got into my head about money).

Well, my dad talked a good game. He was forever telling that that little bit of money I had amassed was "burning a hole in [my] pocket." But if anyone in that household couldn't resist a new bauble, it was him. And his shiny new things cost a helluva lot more. Goes some way toward explaining his THREE bankruptcies.

At the very least, I can thank him for teaching me that those who protest the loudest do indeed protest too much, in that Shakespearean sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24