Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And you can't forget "agate," the tiny type used to set sports statistics, stock quotes, and other densely-packed information. "Digging into the agate" meant doing deep, comprehensive research.

I learned to operate a linotype while working on my high-school paper. Those were the days.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
And sometimes, anachronistic terms hang around despite all odds.

Members of the Chicago Fire Department still refer to a battalion chief's car as "the buggy." And the radioed term from a train conductor to the engineer to get things moving is still, "Highball!"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
And sometimes, anachronistic terms hang around despite all odds.

Members of the Chicago Fire Department still refer to a battalion chief's car as "the buggy." And the radioed term from a train conductor to the engineer to get things moving is still, "Highball!"

Interesting concept. Maybe that should be another thread?

"Anachronistic Terms Which are Still Used Today"?

skydog757

A-List Customer
These may have been common only in urban areas, but they were often in American movies. Social and economic factors have made, or will likely soon make them disappear:

broadsheet
tabloid
above the fold
sob sister
linotype
type setter
bulldog

I would add "Newsboy" to that line of thought.
Also, is the term "cub reporter" still in use?

mactire

New in Town
I would add "Newsboy" to that line of thought.
Also, is the term "cub reporter" still in use?

It's still around, here used in a rather disparaging tone by an Irish media figure in 2008 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvnWLylpLBQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=295, I won't bore you with the details overmuch but he's decrying a bit of a furore with younger journos not believing a prime minister who testified that he did not have a bank account in the early 90s, when he was Minister for Finance, Tammany Hall eat your heart out :p

skydog757

A-List Customer
I haven't heard anyone use "Egad!" since Mr. Magoo. He also used "By Jove!" quite a bit; he must have been surprised a lot. Considering that he was nearly blind I can imagine that was often the case. I know that he is a cartoon character, but those phrases were in common usage at one time.

skydog757

A-List Customer
"Egad!" in the popular culture of the Era was made popular by the comic strip character Major Hoople, a stuffy, fez-wearing loafer who was constantly bragging about his supposed exploits. Magoo clearly got it from him.

I remember that strip and that character! He was almost always in a chair and used phrases like "kaff kaff". "harumph" and "fap"! Occasionally he'd throw in an "Odds Bodkins"!

He was, in all likelihood, the inspiration for the Commander McBragg cartoon character.

(Nope, I just looked it up, actually C. Aubrey Smith.)

Man, I watched way too many cartoons and read way too many comics as a kid.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points