Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

Three of my eight great-grandparents were German immigrants. Germans were the largest ethnic group in Pittsburgh. Not only was "kindergarten" the norm, bars were always called "beer gardens" when I was a boy.

My "natural" father died when I was 4 months old. My mother, who was all of 21 years old at the time, didn't take long to find another fellow, officially change her and her kids' last name, and have another baby, her fourth.

My stepdad's family name, and hence mine, is of German origin, but the Teutonic blood is considerably more diluted, and the cultural connections more tangential, than those of my German "real" father's people, many of whom now reside along with him behind the church, under stones bearing inscriptions in German.

These are rural people, who, upon arriving on these shores in the latter part of the 19th century, formed a farming community along with others of similar origin. My father's generation grew up speaking English, predominantly, and knew a bit of German. For those of the generation before his it was just the opposite. Remaining aunts and uncles speak with what I recognize as a countryside German-American accent. So do their kids, kind of.

And the proper old ladies, who would never cuss or speak of unspeakable things (which covers a lot of territory), drink beer from cans. In the public park. On Sunday afternoons. And pass many a pleasant hour socializing in taverns.

I don't recall hearing those folks call taverns "beer gardens." Maybe that's among the regional differences? Both here on the New Country and/or the Old? Eastern U.S. Germans vs. Midwesterners? Alpine Germans vs. Flatlanders?

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I don't recall hearing those folks call taverns "beer gardens." Maybe that's among the regional differences? Both here on the New Country and/or the Old? Eastern U.S. Germans vs. Midwesterners? Alpine Germans vs. Flatlanders?

According to that font of information, WikiPedia, A German "biergarten" is more specific than a tavern, being an open-air venue offering entertainment as well as beer. It seems to have originated in southern Germany. (I'm picturing guys in lederhosen and women in dirndls at Oktoberfest in Munich.)

My father's grandfather was from Hesse-Darmstadt in the south, while my mother's mother's parents came from what was then known as East Prussia, now part of Poland. So if your people were from northern Germany, the institution of biergarten may not been part of their culture.

Last edited:

skydog757

A-List Customer
My father's generation grew up speaking English, predominantly, and knew a bit of German. For those of the generation before his it was just the opposite.

Back in my Grandparents time, their church would conduct one Sunday service entirely in German and another in English. They were members of what we still refer to as the "German Lutheran" church.

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Back in my Grandparents time, their church would conduct one Sunday service entirely in German and another in English. They were members of what we still refer to as the "German Lutheran" church.

I was speaking with the pastor at my mother's church last year when arranging her funeral. Our bunch was one of the last German holdouts. In fact, according to the pastor, H.J. Hienz (the pickle and ketchup baron) pulled out of the denomination when his church refused to offer services in English. He went over to the Presbyterians. I suppose Henry John knew a good deal more about food processing than theology, given the deep hostility of Calvinists for Lutheran doctrine.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
The terms "dime store" and "five and dime" disappeared, only to be replaced by "dollar store". I guess a dollar today is worth about a nickel in Golden Age terms.

I was just watching a 1940 movie called "The Doctor Takes A Wife" in which the leading man (Ray Milland) complains that he only makes $100 a month as a university instructor and is looking forward to being made a full professor. He drives a new Packard convertible.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The terms "dime store" and "five and dime" disappeared, only to be replaced by "dollar store". I guess a dollar today is worth about a nickel in Golden Age terms.

I was just watching a 1940 movie called "The Doctor Takes A Wife" in which the leading man (Ray Milland) complains that he only makes $100 a month as a university instructor and is looking forward to being made a full professor. He drives a new Packard convertible.

v6i03m.png

$1038 was a lot of lettuce even then ! :D

$1200 a year was about what a low-level factory hand earned in 1940. It's doubtful too many of them were driving Packards, unless they were chauffeuring on the side.

We have the same problem with getting "facts" about incomes and lifestyles from TV and movies today. Living in NYC, I regularly see TV and movie characters living in apartments that might look okay and reasonable to people who don't live in NYC, but for those of us intimate with NYC real estate, we know how silly it is to show these people living in those apartments. For example, they have two of the woman on "Friends" - neither one making a lot of money (at various times, they were a waitress in a coffee shop, a line cook, a junior exec in retail, unemployed), but though out it, they lived in a very big two bedroom apartment with a terrace in Greenwich Village. That apartment's rent would be way, way, way beyond the reach of those two women.

Someone watching "Friends" in 2060 and thinking that they are seeing how average people really lived in NYC in the late 1990s would be getting very inaccurate information.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Television:

Growing up watching situations where there is beginning, middle & ending all within a half hour.

And finding out that "life" is not like that at all.

I remember someone mentioning something like this to me when I was growing up. :D

p51

One Too Many
You guys mock how people should just know that the characters in "Friends" couldn't afford to live there, but the previous post is right in that in the future, people won't have a clue.
Just like people today think all women in the 20s were flappers or most young people were hippies in the 60s, when each were a small minority of the population at the time. And those perceptions come off of TV and movies...

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yeeeeaahhhhh..............I can remember the first time trying to jump over another car in my buddy's mom's station wagon.

Just didn't work out like it always does on t.v.

First let me say...I still enjoy a John Wayne western flick.
But after Vietnam I was made fully aware of what happens when one gets shot.
Wrapping a handkerchief around the wound & walking around & continuing whatever like the cowboys is one thing.
The reality being; if you get shot your body goes into shock, losing control of coherent thought ...:eeek:

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
$1200 a year was about what a low-level factory hand earned in 1940. It's doubtful too many of them were driving Packards, unless they were chauffeuring on the side.

Ha ha ha that was the joke. In Hollywood movies, $100 a month teachers drive Packards, wear custom tailored suits, stay at expensive resorts and flirt with glamorous celebrities.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
And don't forget the white telephones. You haven't arrived till you have a white telephone. And a bed with an upholstered headboard. And satin pajammies.

You mean twin beds with upholstered headboards!!!! AKA Hollywood beds!!!! ( 2 people in the same bed would never pass the censors)

And a fully equipped bar in the living room.

I miss those movies.

The other day I read an article about how we are in another Great Depression.

We are, are we? Well where are the spectacular musicals? Where are the screwball comedies? Where are the great songs and the great swing bands to play them?

If this is our version of the Great Depression we are getting gypped.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR