Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Just as a Garbage Man is now know by the PC term Sanitation Engineer.
I love how people try to make their job look like something it isn't. lol lol

Actually it's not the workers so much.

I overheard a man say this in high school .

Half serious & joking he said to his friend..."they have given me the fancy title of "maintenance engineer",
but I rather prefer a fancy pay raise instead. To which his friend answered, "well then stop thinking like a
janitor...":eusa_doh:

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm an Entertainment Facilitator. Where's my reserved parking space?

Reserved parking ?

One of our athletic stores, the entire front parking spaces are reserved for handicaps only.
In another store there are 10 to 15 cash registers, but only 1-2 are open on a regular basis.
And at my local bank drive thru, there is braille on the key pads. :eeek:

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
2jakes while we are at it, why are laundromats the only store that never has automatic door openers, when they are the only store where every customer enters and leaves with their hands full?

Just as a Garbage Man is now know by the PC term Sanitation Engineer.
I love how people try to make their job look like something it isn't. lol lol
It's usually not the employee's idea. Several years ago I got a part-time job at a local hospital, and when I received my name tag it said my official title was "Environmental Services Aide II". Yep, I was a janitor who stripped and waxed the floors in two ORs two nights a week. lol

I tell people all the time that I'm a drain surgeon:p
:rofl: :thumb::thumb:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
When was the last time you saw a Zarf?

For those of you who are not Lizzie Maine, in the sixties and seventies some restaurants served coffee in disposable plastic or paper cups set in a metal or plastic holder.

The holder is called a Zarf. A quick web search turned up the information that the zarf dates back to the 13th century and is Arabic in origin. I never knew that. Also, the cardboard sleeve they put on take out coffees is a kind of zarf. Didn't know that either.

Last edited:

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
in the sixties and seventies some restaurants served coffee in disposable plastic or paper cups set in a metal or plastic holder.

In my home town there were two drug stores with soda fountains (and this goes way back before the sixties). When you ordered a Coke or root beer or "Rheem's Lemon Blend", the counterman grabbed a steel gizmo and slapped onto a stack of paper cones set pointy-side up. When he lifted it, the cone stuck in the steel thing, and you had a cup for your drink. When you finished, he threw away the cone and slapped the gizmo on another cone for the next customer.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
"Put it where the sun don't shine"

Not sure if this has disappeared but,
it doesn't make much sense to say it especially on a nudist beach ! :D

I once used that line in a joke to my buds at school. Suffice to say we each got detention and the line quickly disappeared from my vocabulary.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. I do make the effort but sometimes wonder if anyone gets it.

In another thread someone posted photos of his dogs wearing leather jackets and caps. I asked "do they play cards?". Got a little positive feedback on that one. But usually, nothing.

I try to find something amusing to say but I know my humor is not for everyone.

Lizzie if you read this the original remark was a compliment to your erudition and was meant in fun. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't think you would get a kick out of it.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bro. Doble is a good guy. No offense taken.

Those cups referred to in that post, we called "Jeopardy cups," because they were used by the contestants on the old Art Fleming version of "Jeopardy." I can't see them to this day without thinking of "The Answer Is..."

The term, "it hurts like the dickens !"
anyone know it's origin [huh]
"Dickens" is a euphemism for "devil", specifically the devil. It is widely assumed that Dickens is/was indeed a surname, but it's first use is attributed to William Shakespeare in The Merry Wives of Windsor, first published in 1602 and, as such, predates Charles Dickens by a little more than two centuries.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR