Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

skydog757

A-List Customer
One phrase that seems to be making a comeback is "Not for nothin'" (usually stated as "Ya know, it's not for nothing' that. . ."). I have heard it used on two television shows and one commercial in the last month.

emigran

Practically Family
This one may have been mentioned...
"I'M HIP"... sounded like... "AAHM IIP"...originally musicians' jargon for... it's cool or I get it... haven't heard it in a quite some time now...

emigran

Practically Family
Dunno about this one, but what about "blueprints"? I mean when's the last time anyone ever saw ACTUAL blueprints? To my knowledge, they haven't been used in decades. These days, it's all computer-models and such.

My dad was a draftsman in the 50's and we always had rolls and rolls of blueprints around his drafting table with his T Squares and angles and French curves and an ivory SLIDE RULE... !!!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
One phrase that seems to be making a comeback is "Not for nothin'" (usually stated as "Ya know, it's not for nothing' that. . ."). I have heard it used on two television shows and one commercial in the last month.

"Know-what-I-mean?"

I heard this yesterday. After every remark.
Not sure if they were even aware they were doing it.

Know what I mean?

:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
Every East Coast Italian over the age of 50 I've ever known grew up calling it "macaroni." Nobody here ever heard the word "pasta" until the '80s, when suddenly it was everywhere. It was as though a law was passed all of a sudden, and nobody ever bothered to tell us.

"Pasta" smacks to me of people who display their macaroni in glass jars on the counter so you won't know they actually just buy Prince's or Mueller's down at the grocery store just like the proles.

Absolutely...
Too funny BTW...

This one may have been mentioned...
"I'M HIP"... sounded like... "AAHM IIP"...originally musicians' jargon for... it's cool or I get it... haven't heard it in a quite some time now...

I never stopped using "hip" in such phrases as "he better get hip before he gets the boot" and "who hipped him to his wife's messin' around?"

It's a pretty phrase. Stating a concept in the negative requires a tad more thought on the part of the listener, and it being alliterative makes it all the better.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
Indubitably . . .

Indubitably...:)

The words you learn from watching Mary Poppins as a child . . .
[video=youtube;tRFHXMQP-QU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHXMQP-QU[/video]
(The “Indubitably” part starts at 1:17, if you’re too impatient to watch the whole song.)

"Know-what-I-mean?"

Know what I mean?

Unless the person is sincerely asking because they had difficulty expressing their thoughts, my favorite response to this is, "Yes, I know what you mean." *pointing at random strangers* "He knows what you mean. She knows what you mean. Everybody always knows what you mean. You're not exactly Albert Einstein." :D

Of course, for the truly younger crowd you can always use Stephen Hawking instead of Albert Einstein, because if they have to incessantly ask if you understood them they probably won't know who Albert Einstein was.

Last edited:
Unless the person is sincerely asking because they had difficulty expressing their thoughts, my favorite response to this is, "Yes, I know what you mean." *pointing at random strangers* "He knows what you mean. She knows what you mean. Everybody always knows what you mean. You're not exactly Albert Einstein." :D

Of course, for the truly younger crowd you can always use Stephen Hawking instead of Albert Einstein, because if they have to incessantly ask if you understood them they probably won't know who Albert Einstein was.
:rofl:

Alex, you're curmudgeonliness is always inspirational, but at times it can be truly awe-inspiring.

But unfortunately, I deal with a fair enough amount of people on a daily basis who wouldn't know who Stephen Hawking was either. [emoji20]

skydog757

A-List Customer

Now I understand why you're such a big fan of the latter day George Carlin.

p51

One Too Many
"Know-what-I-mean?"

Know what I mean?

This is going to sound a bit racist, but I hear African-Americans very often say, "You know what I'm saying?" after almost every single sentence that comes out of their mouth. Haven't heard any other demographic doing that.
Same thing as, "Know what I mean?" though.
Both are equally annoying.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Praise the Lord"

There's a guy who ends everything with "praise-the-lord."

After awhile (it was a light conversation) I asked him..."right now?"

He asked, "right now what?"

"Start praising !"... I answered.

"Who?"...he asked.

"The lord !" I answered.

He looked at me for a moment & started laughing, he wasn't aware he was doing this ! :eek:

Last edited:
Alex, you're curmudgeonliness is always inspirational, but at times it can be truly awe-inspiring...
Thank you, Sir! I have my moments. ;)

...But unfortunately, I deal with a fair enough amount of people on a daily basis who wouldn't know who Stephen Hawking was either. [emoji20]
Yeah, I get that a lot too; you can tell by the dull facial expression of complete and total incomprehension when you mention the name. I just tell 'em, "Google it." :D

Now I understand why you're such a big fan of the latter day George Carlin.
Truth be told, I'm a fan of George Carlin regardless of which stage his career was in at any given time. With regards to his curmudgeonly latter day career, I think we're kindred spirits in many ways; he was simply superior in recognizing and describing the humor found in every-day life.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My seventh grade English teacher called such phrases "word whiskers," linguistic excrescences that grew on perfectly legitimate sentences while serving no useful function in communicating the subject under discussion. Know what I mean?

Meanwhile, a phrase I've not heard in a long time is "ain't you a stitch!" A "stitch" was a person given to broad, loud humor -- and the phrase was usually not intended to be complimentary. When my uncle would fart to the tune of "Yankee Doodle" at the Thanksgiving table, my grandmother would glare balefully in his direction and say "Ain't you a stitch."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925