Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Mark Twain, a champion curser, once criticized an unskilled swearer for "knowing the words but not the music."
As I recall the story, it was Mrs. Clemmens who objected to Mr. Clemmens' bad language, apparently often and to no avail. At some point she struck on the idea of speaking to Mr. Clemmens using the same vocabulary he used which so offended her.

A little surprised, but amused, Mr. Clemmens replied to Mrs., "Ah my dear, you know the words but not the music!"

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
"What's that got to do with the price of tomatoes?" Meaning, what relevance has that to the subject at hand? I haven't heard it used in many years and always wondered where it came from.

Colder then an old maids bed!
I always have said "Colder than a Mother-In-Law's kiss".

Thank you Fred Allen.
"Colder than a grave digger's backside," though the actual phrase uses the three-letter slang word for "backside" that is also used to describe a hoofed beast of burden such as a donkey.

One of the most amusing variations I've heard comes from a Tom Waits album: "Colder than the ticket taker's smile at the Ivar Theater on a Saturday night." The Ivar Theater, in Hollywood, California, was a legitimate playhouse when it opened in 1951, but by the mid-1970s had devolved into a burlesque theater featuring women who could be described as "semi-attractive" at best, with an older woman with a monotone voice acting as emcee who would announce each performer the same way: "Up next is (insert phony stage name here). Lay down the greenery, you'll see the scenery."

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I recall a school teacher in high school telling us that the "W.P.A." from the Roosevelt days stood for We Piddle Around. I'm not at all sure what she thought of the program. Also, Sears, and no doubt others, used to sell pants called "putter pants," which I think were basically lightweight utility work pants for suburbanites (and others, too, of course). They had patch pockets and an elastic waist.

We've already chewed over at length the various meanings of "cool."

So how about "hot"?

In the phrase "hotter'n a three-dollar pistol," "hot" means "stolen." (I've considered that it might be a reference to a cheap handgun getting hot to the touch after firing off a few rounds, but that seems doubtful. But I'm hardly a firearms expert, so take that into consideration.)

In "hotter'n a three-dollar hooker," it means something else entirely.

So how about "hot"?

In the phrase "hotter'n a three-dollar pistol," "hot" means "stolen." (I've considered that it might be a reference to a cheap handgun getting hot to the touch after firing off a few rounds, but that seems doubtful. But I'm hardly a firearms expert, so take that into consideration.)

Good catch ⇧. "Hot" is like "cool's" less cool [:)] brother. "Hot" has had staying power, but not the power of "cool" nor the always-in vogue that "cool" has. "She's hot" sounds a bit tired, dated today - but still usable; "he's cool" is, well, still cool, still current and impactful. Didn't Superman have a weaker brother - "hot" is "cool's" weaker brother.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
And then there's the distinction between "Hot Jazz" and "Cool Jazz," which you will recognize immediately upon listening examples of both. The "cool" variety arose as a critique of the perceived bombastic excesses of the "hot."

This is similar to McLuhan's classification of media as "hot" or "cool" on the basis of the level of interactive participation required by the audience to fill gaps in the narrative being presented. A "hot" medium requires little interactivity, a "cool" medium requires much.

And, similarly, "hot" sometimes means "aroused" or "arousable," as in, "he's got the hots for her."

It might also mean "eager" or "enthusiast," as in "the kids were hot to load up the car and head out on vacation."

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Never a common expression but the host of an old radio show around here that featured "old time" music, so-called roots music and stuff like that referred to it as "obsolete music."

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here

So how about "hot"?

Is that three dollar pistol a Saturday night special?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner