Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TEST YOUR EBAY SAVY

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Not really. Here is a fun thing. What do you think of this hat?

THE EBAY LISTING WOULD BE AS FOLLOWS: ** this is just a test not an auction on Ebay **

"1940 Cavanagh Hat, Vintage. Size not marked. Great condition. No smells, from a non-smoking house. Measures 8 inches long and 6 inches wide at the opening. Inside very clean. Has wide brim and tall crown. Indy or Bogie! No Reserve! Opening bid $24.99"

Email questions, buyer to pay shipping.

THIS MAY or MAY NOT BE WHAT YOU THINK! I MAY have done some "tricks" that some sellers use.

So Fedora Lounge members, what do you think? What would you bid? What do you think you should ask, or what do you ask when you are interested in a listed hat?

f9e3451f.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9e34519.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9e34508.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9e34533.jpg.thumb.jpg

f9e34537.jpg.thumb.jpg

I'll post some additional info later, and you can see how you did.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, you did mention that the "inside is very clean," what about the outside? From small photos it is hard to tell. Can't see the top of the crown. "Great condition" could mean a lot of things.

Looks like a beautiful hat, and you're liable to have all of us fighting over it soon. (I'd better wipe the drool off the keyboard.:D )

Without knowing anything else about it, and if money were no object, I'd probably bid up to $80.

Brad Bowers

Imahomer

Practically Family
Well, for guys like myself with very limited hat knowledge, I'd have to pass on it. I need everything spelled out very clearly for me on things I'm weak on and this topic is not my strong suit.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
My take

Well, the first thing I do is email the seller and tell them to look under the sweat band for a size, if no joy there, I tell them to measure the circumference of the sweatband and then send them this sizing chart from noggintops.com: http://www.noggintops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/findmysize.html
Then I wait for their reply. Keep in mind, I haven't been burned on Ebay yet, knock on wood. I mainly look for a hat with the look and prefer those bounded edge 2 3/4" brim. Agian, it all depends on teh look. Hard to describe but I just know it when I see it. Tell me where I'm going wrong here.
Dusty

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
It's a nice looking hat. These are the question I ask if they are not already answered in the auction already. It's a lot of question, but I learned not to take anything for granted on eBay. Sometimes it ticks of a seller, but if they want to move the merchandise they should be willing to answer them.

1) What is the measurement around the sweatband on the inside of the hat?

2) What is the width of the brim on the front, sides, and back?

3) What is the height of the crown from the brim to the highest point at the front, sides, and back?

4) What is the width of the ribbon around the hat?

5) What is the width of the sweatband?

6) Is the liner sewn into the felt, glued into the felt, or neither (just placed in)? Also, is the liner white or ivory, the pictures show both?

7) What condition is the felt in? Are their any moth bites (even very small ones)?

8) Is the edge of the brim bound with ribbon, folded over, or raw (left plain)?

9) What condition is the sweatband in? Is the leather soft or stiff? Are there any cracks or discoloration?

10) Is it possible to get better/closer/larger pictures of the felt, liner, ribbon and bow? Can I get some shots from above, front, and back?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Tonight

I will post the true conditon of this hat tonite. So far, excellent questions and ones you should ask. HOWEVER, one question has not yet been asked.

BD JONES you so far are the clear winner of this example, so far.

(I always ask the questions above, but one important one also)

Sergei

Gone Home
Hmmmm... Excellent questioning from the prosecution led by BD Jones....

I would add:
- approximate age of the fedora
- liner material if known
&
- will they guarantee the condition of the hat and any of the information disclosed via email or on the ebay ad

Sergei

Dalexs

Practically Family
Re: Tonight

Originally posted by Andykev
...HOWEVER, one question has not yet been asked.

(I always ask the questions above, but one important one also)

what year was the guy born who originally owned the hat ???

(sorry, after 2.5 glasses of wine, thats the best I got!).

And then based on some other postings, is there any evidence of damage
ie from moths and how is/was it stored?
Oh yeah, and does it come with an original box?

Steve

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Excellent!

And my Hat is off to all you fine contestants!

The TRUTH OF THIS HAT:

First , the hat looks gray right? WRONG. No one asked the color. It is BROWN. I used the photo editor to manipulate the color.

Second, the liner is washed out and looks great, because the flash and the gamma correction on the editor. The true color of this hat liner is a creamy ivory, and there are some very minor stains, but really not noticable. The liner was at one time sewn in, it is rayon, but it is now held in place by tape.

Third, the "reorder tag" is visible under the sweatband, and it reads: ""364 5 5/8 7 3/8 block 5364 reorder 30776 size 7 3/8 +2 60". This info is on three separate tags inside the hat. It has more tags than any of my vintage hats. Allthough a Cavanagh hat, it was custom made for someone.

Fourth, the sweatband was replaced with a very high quality roan leather, which quite frankly is better than the Optimo's (and thanks to Art for that). It is new.

Fifth, the felt is undamaged and has no moth bites, but there are "faded" or areas where the hat shows use.

Lastly, the ribbon was replaced by Art with new, wider, 40's looking stuff, with a butterfly bow.

This hat is my "wear in the yard hat". It has gotten soaked solid at least 5 times (dunk in a bucket of water soaked!). Tree limbs, wood chips, chain saw oil, rototiller dust...all have landed on this hat.

The hat has extremely dense, expensive felt, and it was obviously a very very nice custom hat, which is why I keep it for yard work. I have obvously shown it to Art, and he's offered to buy it on the spot. Art tells me I'm too picky.

The bottom line is ASK the sellers. Your monitor, his camera, the photo shop...you could get a hat that's brown when the pics show it's blue.

My Ebay feedback is all +++ and of the 90 items I've traded most were hats. I just did this to demonstrate that you gotta be careful. MOST sellers don't know a timble full compared to what we do collectively. Thanks :p

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
To be honest, I always forget to ask about the color. Probably because the hats I've bought off eBay are true to the color, except one. The once I got was an Adam Executive Quality fedora that appeared to be a light grey in the pictures, but ended up being a dark blue-grey. The good thing is that I like the color better than what was on the screen, but I got lucky. Also, checking under the sweatband for labels and tags is good, too. I knew some of these vintage hats still had the tags under there, but I never though to ask about it.

Thanks to this discussion, I now have a few more questions to add to my list. This has been a great thread.

Fedora

Vendor
So far the color fastness is excellent. I doused it good this afternoon as soon as I pulled it off the block and threw it into the sink. It bled a little, but no more than a Federation, and a whole lot less than a new Stetson with the finishing powder. I think this little adventure was successful. I also think the reason it took the dye so well and evenly is because I soaked it for a couple days in the dye. That and the fineness of the Nutria felt. I am one happy camper, since I salvaged a hat, and a fine hat to boot. :D Fedora

Michaelson

One Too Many
You've all forgotten yet another VERY important question....

'Do YOU own this hat?'

I've discovered on more than one occasion that folks sell items for friends, and they're guessing answers to a lot of questions asked when folks assume THEY own the item they're advertising. I see this happen a LOT in watch auctions.

Something to factor into the equation.....

Regards. Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR