Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TFL sale price

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
There is a vintage store in my town where I browse from time to time, I shoot the shit with the owners as we share interests (especially leather), and he and his wife are patrons at the brewpub I work at. I try to make a purchase there once or twice a year to support his business, however, it's hard because I know what he's paid for most items at thrift stores, estate sales, etc. Fact is, they did the legwork and rented the space and so on, so I stifle my grumbling. I try to pass on the good deals I get from members here, like the lost worlds I got from @sweetfights , however, value is value and that item could have fetched more easily elsewhere or even here. In general the majority of my sales have been for less than I've paid, at times I feel like Jack and the Beanstalk!

There is a vintage store in my town where I browse from time to time, I shoot the shit with the owners as we share interests (especially leather), and he and his wife are patrons at the brewpub I work at. I try to make a purchase there once or twice a year to support his business, however, it's hard because I know what he's paid for most items at thrift stores, estate sales, etc. Fact is, they did the legwork and rented the space and so on, so I stifle my grumbling. I try to pass on the good deals I get from members here, like the lost worlds I got from @sweetfights , however, value is value and that item could have fetched more easily elsewhere or even here. In general the majority of my sales have been for less than I've paid, at times I feel like Jack and the Beanstalk!

I stopped reading at brewpub. Good chance I dropped by while I lived in Denver. My travels took me far and wide.

Jack, you and I underwent the same sales training.

Kubatu

A-List Customer
That’s it isn’t it. The ethos of the place. Particularly among dudes that have dealt with each other or are fixtures on the site.

What TFL is intended for in regards to the classifieds listings is something I have considered myself. More recently this year and the last, I've gotten into buying and selling jackets explicitly for a profit. While it's nothing more than a side hustle, it's also made a difference in terms of bills, rent, etc. Real life things that matter. I'd love to list all those jackets here as well, not just on Ebay (that 12.5% fee of a PITA when jackets sell for a couple hundred or more), but I don't really see the classifieds as the right place to continually be listing new jackets, especially when you're doing it with the intention of flipping them. It just doesn't really feel like it's the appropriate place. People are always welcome to PM me here, though.

Outside of flipping, I have generally tried to keep things at the same price. I purchased a brown Cal Leather CHP from Dannyk (Where's he been recently?), then when I moved on from it, listed it here for the same price. I like the idea of jackets passing around the community, and when people are cranking the prices as high as they can in order to make more money, the two don't really go together very well.

What TFL is intended for in regards to the classifieds listings is something I have considered myself. More recently this year and the last, I've gotten into buying and selling jackets explicitly for a profit. While it's nothing more than a side hustle, it's also made a difference in terms of bills, rent, etc. Real life things that matter. I'd love to list all those jackets here as well, not just on Ebay (that 12.5% fee of a PITA when jackets sell for a couple hundred or more), but I don't really see the classifieds as the right place to continually be listing new jackets, especially when you're doing it with the intention of flipping them. It just doesn't really feel like it's the appropriate place. People are always welcome to PM me here, though.

Outside of flipping, I have generally tried to keep things at the same price. I purchased a brown Cal Leather CHP from Dannyk (Where's he been recently?), then when I moved on from it, listed it here for the same price. I like the idea of jackets passing around the community, and when people are cranking the prices as high as they can in order to make more money, the two don't really go together very well.

Totally agree. Thanks.

Dannyk said he was going walkabout for a bit. I hope he returns.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I think @tmitchell59 pricing is a good guide here - he sells at fair prices I think.

Thank you for your comment.

I seem to have found the Sweet Spot on my recent sales. Jackets were flying off the hangers! I'm finding buyers for Vintage jackets are really getting knowledgeable about the jackets and the Pricing. They are confident in what they are buying.

The Knowledge offered on this Forum helps support fair pricing.

This forum is a hot bed of jacket transaction. I sell to buy/collect so I must have a flow of jackets. I see others here doing the same. It is the ONLY place I advertise and sell jackets. I try to give fair warning when I'm posting something. I have never had an issue with a sale here.

I have also purchased a few jackets here without issue.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It's up to you. If you mark up something you got on here, people might notice and get annoyed, but others may not care. It's really up to you. I do tend to sell for more on Ebay and Instagram than I do on here.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
On eBay, I list my stuff at break-even, covering the ebay and paypal fees, with maybe a slight amount of wiggle room so I can negotiate because so many people prefer to send best offers rather than hit buy-it-now.

On TFL, I post links to the ebay listings, because the information is all there, and if someone wants to buy it there, for whatever reason, that's fine, but if they're willing to do a deal with me off-ebay, I'm happier to give them a better price than they would get out of the listing, because I'm avoiding headaches with scammers abusing Buyer Protection, and saving the transaction fees I'll share that savings with them.

If I happen to have picked up something at an absolute steal price and the going rate is such that I can turn a profit from it, there's nothing wrong with doing that. The only exception to that rule is if you got the deal here on the forums, and are flipping it for a profit here on the forums. As others have said, that just goes against what this community is about, and such behavior shouldn't be encouraged.

The only exception for this is when I've had people ask about jackets I wasn't interested in selling, then I generally tell them no, or if they're really persistent, I'll offer at a price that most people would turn down, hoping they'll turn it down.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
The jackets I sell are not "collector´s pieces". They are just nice jackets that I don´t wear often enough. I don´t even aim at making, but quote a price that I deem fair. If the jacket doesn´t sell, I am open to adjust the price (or try again after a few months to beat any "cycle" that may effect the sales).

The occassional "lowballl-offer" aside, I think fairness is a two-way-street on TFL. I have certainly not had any bad experiences selling/buying here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112