Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank God for Ralph Lauren

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My girlfriend set up the lightning to take some pictures for her shop so I took a few snaps of my RL cardigan with norfolk details. Of course the belt and straps are fully attached and not "functional" but I like the look and also the shape of the pockets.

s9n7.jpg

That's a great look!

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Couple of Ralph sport coats with nice vintage detailing.

First one is RRL. Beautiful herringbone cream cotton fabric, unconstructed, with a belted back. Not even a inside breast pocket. The button point is REALLY high, which is my only gripe. High waisted trousers are absolute must-wear with this sport coat.

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Second one is from the short-lived Rugby line. Construction is not nearly as nice and it has modern vents, but it has a belted back, and nice pleated pockets. The fabric is a lovely linen-silk blend.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
new stuff from RRL's tailoring division. this is 'early 20th century inspired'. not sure which bit exactly, but could pass as 20s conservative:

RRL_early_20th_zpsf422f4ef.jpeg

these are '30s inspired':

RRL_30s_2_zpsfca382d2.jpeg

RRL_30s_zps7f4a803e.jpeg

hmm, narrow trousers with a 30s jacket ? unlikely to win much support here:

RRL_30s_3_zps04fd112c.jpeg

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I don't mind it at all. Not 100% to my taste, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. And I don't expect a modern designer to go full repro either.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

It's an attempt to look vintage inspired and modern at the same time. I think it kinda works. But of course the slim pants don't do it for me. I am not the target group since I can't afford them anyway. So let's be diplomatic and say the menswear world would look better if this was the standard.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
trouble is, the jacket has a high gorge which makes it look modern. the trousers are slim (and probably low waist) which makes them look modern. there's so little 30s left in the final result i don't think it's even worth calling it 30's inspired.

Flat Foot Floey

True. Some Purple label and even Polo items from the past few years looked more 30s than this. So it's not like they don't know any better.
Did you notice that the brown "30s" suit has a wonky lapel roll? Maybe the fabric is too thin for it?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Did you notice that the brown "30s" suit has a wonky lapel roll? Maybe the fabric is too thin for it?

looks like they've had it fastened at the top button and it's developed a bit of a kink.

yes, Ralph's patch pocket belt backs can be pretty authentic. personally i think he should either do the 30s well or not do the 30s at all. but don't make some sort of lame compromise.
i'd rather see good totally modern suits than a vintage-compromise, because at least a purely modern suit isn't a watered down version of something better.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Also while the button stance is high (good) the vest has been elongated to match the low-waist trousers.
The proportions are therefore off. And just making lapels wider doesn't quite cut it.

RL has done better in the early 90's with the 30-40's inspired stuff.

Flat Foot Floey

Hm... I am not that strict. I think it's OK to play with details of both but I just wouldn't call it a "1930s suit" if it clearly isn't.

I still think they look better than the avarage totally modern suits as you call them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto