Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank you Beaver Brands

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
no need to edit your post Barrow, I just thought you knew something I didn't. I wore a Borso Allesandria from the 40s for over ten years and basically was my "signature" hat to my friends. After three renovations and starting hats for the public, I've lost track of where it is in the shop here, but as soon as I get a chance it'll be back on my head again as an everyday hat.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Art Fawcett said:
Duane, I'd be happy to review the felt after working with it. I received it on Thursday and to the initial touch it seems to be on the stiff side and rough but that often changes while working it and bear in mind that I'm used to working in pure beaver so ANY felt would feel that way to me on initial contact. I''ll be able to tell more after it's blocked & finished.

I'm both flattered and terrified that you brought me up and showed him my work. I don't quite know how to react to that as the degree one takes either criticism or praise depends on the experience of the giver. Since he is a recognized manufacturer his thoughts would carry alot of weight. You didn't mention his reaction so I'm leaning on the terrified side.:eusa_doh:

In our discussion we addressed the issue of stiffness, and my desire to decrease it for my branded hats. Additionally, when discussing your hat, I naturally pointed out the craftsmanship, but I did also express to him that I was looking for thinner and lighter felt than yours for my branded hats. I think we are all in pursuit of the same thing, it's just about who will come closest to procuring that 'mystic' felt! Trying to get something I can tout as nearly as good as the felt used in vintage hats. It's proving to be a relentless pursuit. With my limited experience, and I am just honered that these manufacturers are making prototypes and sending them to me, and discussing design. It's very flattering. Most of what I have learned about felt quality has been right here on the lounge, and of course, the restoration work I used to do.

mingoslim

Practically Family
Don't Be Frightened . . .

Art Fawcett said:
I'm both flattered and terrified that you brought me up and showed him my work . . . I'm leaning on the terrified side.:eusa_doh:

When I first visited The Fedora Store back in January, Dwayne showed me the Beaver brands hats (nice hats) . . . and turned me on to the FL (and I am a proud member) . . .

He also showed me his VS by Art . . . and I now own three!;)

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
mingoslim said:
When I first visited The Fedora Store back in January, Dwayne showed me the Beaver brands hats (nice hats) . . . and turned me on to the FL (and I am a proud member) . . .

He also showed me his VS by Art . . . and I now own three!;)

Hey Art, do I correctly remember a conversion about commission? lol , just kiddin around, and always happy to refer people looking for your quality.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I remember that hat a long time ago

Art Fawcett said:
..........I wore a Borso Allesandria from the 40s for over ten years and basically was my "signature" hat to my friends.......

You mean your black funeral hat?lol lol

Yep, that hat was glued on to Art's head forever! Until he fell in love with his own straws:D

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Art, had you a chance to comment on the felt? Doug is sending me a sample hat (in my size) to review the new texture and finish of the hoods he is now using before I place my next large order. I was curious about your thoughts, either via post or PM.

Duane

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Duane, I finished the hat yesterday and have some basic thoughts on the felt. First, on a scale of 1 to 10 with Pure beaver being 10, 50/50= 7 I would rate this felt at a strong 5 or 6.
At first touch it fealt pretty rough & wiry and extremely stiff. To my surprise when steaming it, it accepted the steam better than I had expected and went limp pretty quickly for me, letting me work it over the bolck easily. In the pouncing it finished off nicely. Not as well as beaver but nicely. Because I didn't want to activate the stiffner in the crown I did not iron it ( leaving it soft) so my client can crease it himself easier. The brim was another story though. In order to get a good bandline I had to iron it and the stiffner locked in. I was able, through pouncing and working the brim to break the stiffness down so, all in all? Not a bad felt. You can see the hat being worked in another thread that Fedoralover posted about visiting my shop. The grey hat on the block being worked is the BB body.
As for comparing it to vintage hats, nope, I don't think it compares truly. The thickness is more than most vintage, but then again, there were so many different finishes and techniques back then I don't think anything really compares. I guess what I'm saying is that the felt is only part of the vintage feel, the craftsmanship is equal or more to the overall finished product and many of those skills have been lost.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Art Fawcett said:
...this shows alot about the management of BB and if I'm beyond your reach or desire, then you could make worse choices than BB

Well, this news brings them up a notch on my list of possibles. Good show to BB for the courtesy, and to Art for the public acknowledgement! :eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Here's a pic of it in mid stream of being pounced. You can see the felt that is being taken off to make it smooth and even. It looks like a lot, but the felt was very thick and course to begin with, it was incredible to watch the process in finishing it to a very smooth and soft hat.

IMG_20070905_0001_4.jpg

fedoralover

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
Satisfied with Sample

Update: I received my sample from Doug at Beaver Brand Hats today. It's the new Heritage finish felt used in making our signature hats including TheFedoraStore Teardrop, which he sent me. Much better! I had a nice sample from another manufacturer, but this is just stiff enough. The other sample was very nice, but after a month of wear, the brim became too floppy because of little or no stiffener. Art, I know you mentioned your hood being somewhat stiff, but opposed to your Beaver felts, I am sure it would be. Thanks for posting your feedback, I appreciate it..... So, this Beaver Brand hat continues to be our signature hat and holds it's prominence with the other Beaver Brand styles on our website, and I am stocking the store with them too! Oh, and thanks to Doug, because now I have my hat for everyday winter wear this year! I have a VS from Art, but that's only for smoozing and special outings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko