Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 10 Commandments of Style????

Trotsky

A-List Customer
You know, one of the advantages of being partially color blind is that you know your limitations. I try to keep my color palette simple to avoid problems. Browns, greens, and certain shades of red give me problems.
Brown with grey? Not when I think it's green.
Brown with blue? Well, especially if I think it's green. Green and blue work well together, right?
Grey and Green?, hell yeah.

Red and Brown? I love this combination, but when I pull out a green pair of trousers I look like a frakking Christmas tree.

Did I ever tell you about the mint green trousers I though were Khaki? Yea, I bought them and wore them. I was.... colorful.

Do I have a point? Why yes I do. If you're color blind, you can be on the cutting edge of fashion. By accident. GQ ain't got nuthin' on me.

Geesie

Practically Family
Or rather, millions can be made by claiming something authoritatively, then claiming the exact opposite equally authoritatively a few months later.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
I gave up trying to understand fahion trends ages ago. Seems like they just walk into a warehouse, see what item they have the most of, whop a rediciulous pricetag on it and shout "You must by this! If you don't you're wothless!" at the top of their voices. Lo and behold people rush out and buy, temporarily bolstering their dwindling self-esteem.

*I apologise for the slight rant*

Maguire

Practically Family
the trick is- black and gray. A white shirt, black tie, and grey suit or black suit.. no thought involved. Black shoes... black socks. Black suspenders.

I've got some colorful clothes in my closet and i'm sure if i put thought into it i could easily match it up. But i am not up for trying new things. I'll stick to the good old soviet fashion; gray is the new gray.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Maguire said:
the trick is- black and gray. A white shirt, black tie, and grey suit or black suit.. no thought involved. Black shoes... black socks. Black suspenders.
That´s something you´ll probably wear to funeral, but definitely a not good and creative every day style. We can still hope that suits will come to fashion again and people will find out that they don´t need to be only black or gray.
Reminds me of situation here - it´s normal that ordinary man has only one suit (black, or gray, or worse, brown), the one in which he went to his prom, wedding and probably funeral. And the shocking thing is that when I´ve seen bussinessman´s wardrobe, there were about five suits, surely quite expensive, but all of them were black. Boring!

donCarlos said:
That´s something you´ll probably wear to funeral, but definitely a not good and creative every day style.

'Definitely' may be a bit too strong. If a guy 'owns' black, then that's his style. I still insist that black gets knocked around here simply because a lot of squares have tried to own it and failed miserably.

If Maguire feels he owns black, white, and grey, then perhaps that's all he needs to be creative. As many artists have proven, great art can be made from the three shades (or even one color), so why not a great wardrobe?

Regards,

Jack

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
The thing I love about these "rules" is that there's no explanation whatosever for why you should follow them. Like, instead of, "Match socks to trousers because it lengthens the leg, giving an illusion of height" (for example), it just says, "Match your socks to your trousers. 'Cause we said so, ya know?"

Sometimes rules have good reasons for being there (sometimes they're just nutty lol), and if you know what those reasons are, then at least when you break them, you have an idea of what the heck you're doing and why.

-Tofu

IndigoFanatic

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
If a guy 'owns' black, then that's his style. I still insist that black gets knocked around here simply because a lot of squares have tried to own it and failed miserably.

Along these lines, I still find pictures of Johnny Cash wearing a lot of color to be somewhat disturbing, and just not look right. He definitely 'owned' wearing black.

To make in it's own image.

First GQ and the like are not about men's fashion, they are about the fashion that advertises with them.

The magazine has a crew of like minded people working for them and they have their concepts of the ideal. This is what they push with the idea of making over a generation IN THEIR IMAGE.

People that are just entering into the concept of dressing well are unsure of what to do so dressing such as for work, they love to be given rules to live or dress by. Why? Because it makes choices easier and makes them feel that they are safe from a fashion faux pas and that means an awful lot to the unsure.

When was the last time you saw a person in an ad in GQ that was over 30 and not the epitome of the Olympic ideal?

Also, I'd like to know what is the percentage of the 20 somethings that read GQ has a budget that would allow buying the clothes shoes and watches presented in that article. While it is one thing to plant the desire for top notch stuff, these types of articles seem to be more of a pimping excercise than anything else.

The magazine seems to be not concerned with gentlemen but young turks.

Maguire

Practically Family
donCarlos said:
That´s something you´ll probably wear to funeral, but definitely a not good and creative every day style. We can still hope that suits will come to fashion again and people will find out that they don´t need to be only black or gray.
Reminds me of situation here - it´s normal that ordinary man has only one suit (black, or gray, or worse, brown), the one in which he went to his prom, wedding and probably funeral. And the shocking thing is that when I´ve seen bussinessman´s wardrobe, there were about five suits, surely quite expensive, but all of them were black. Boring!
What if i've got about 5 different gray suits which are different shades of gray? a gray three piece?

Or pinstripes? One can still see a difference.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Maguire said:
What if i've got about 5 different gray suits which are different shades of gray? a gray three piece?

Or pinstripes? One can still see a difference.
Yes, but you can´t be very creative with that. Well, you can, using different shirts and ties... But generic people are not as observant as we are. Wouldn´t it look like you´re wearing the same thing over and over? Even though you know you don´t.
And let´s face it, five suits of the same color are not enough for a bussinessman who wears a suit every day.

Yes, I admit that I was rash regarding black color. I just think that black is used too much, judging from what I see in Prague.

Maguire

Practically Family
donCarlos said:
Yes, but you can´t be very creative with that. Well, you can, using different shirts and ties... But generic people are not as observant as we are. Wouldn´t it look like you´re wearing the same thing over and over? Even though you know you don´t.
And let´s face it, five suits of the same color are not enough for a bussinessman who wears a suit every day.

Yes, I admit that I was rash regarding black color. I just think that black is used too much, judging from what I see in Prague.

Well i'm not talking about the same color, i'm just talking about drab colors. grays, blacks, i've got a houndstooth blazer i wear with brown slacks. but i'm referring to really.. out there colors. IE the Stacy Adams Lime Green Suit with a pink shirt, pink fedora, pink belt, and pink shoes. It may look cool in a comic book but reality.. not so much.

something like this:
Big-Tall-Stacy-Adams-Suits-1.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
First GQ and the like are not about men's fashion, they are about the fashion that advertises with them.

The magazine has a crew of like minded people working for them and they have their concepts of the ideal. This is what they push with the idea of making over a generation IN THEIR IMAGE.

People that are just entering into the concept of dressing well are unsure of what to do so dressing such as for work, they love to be given rules to live or dress by. Why? Because it makes choices easier and makes them feel that they are safe from a fashion faux pas and that means an awful lot to the unsure.

When was the last time you saw a person in an ad in GQ that was over 30 and not the epitome of the Olympic ideal?

Also, I'd like to know what is the percentage of the 20 somethings that read GQ has a budget that would allow buying the clothes shoes and watches presented in that article. While it is one thing to plant the desire for top notch stuff, these types of articles seem to be more of a pimping excercise than anything else.

The magazine seems to be not concerned with gentlemen but young turks.

Well, I've got the youth and the figure but not the cash... So close! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran