Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1940's Air Terminal Museum (Houston, Texas)

texan

New in Town
I attended a 1940's-era birthday party at this venue earlier this year. Had a great time.

The 1940 Air Terminal Museum is housed in the original art-deco Houston Municipal Airport building at present-day William P. Hobby Airport. The Museum showcases the rich heritage of civil aviation, including the airlines, general aviation and business aviation. Exhibits include Houston's fascinating aviation history.

http://www.1940airterminal.org/

texan

New in Town
Dixon,

Next time your in Houston, put the 1940 Terminal on your radar screen. It's a hell of an attraction. I knew nothing of civil aviation, much less what Texas carriers were operational since the dawn of the aeroplane. The displays are simply incredible. History of Muse, Southwest, Texas Air and every single carrier that has touched down at Hobby (new terminal), old terminal and Bush Intercontinental. Uniforms, cigarette boxes, badges, and the toys the airlines handed out are all on display including several hundred photos. But be advised: arrive early. The museum will take half the day to view. They are currently working on the upper deck where you can actually sit, have coffee and watch the airliners take off.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are SOOO many wonderful Deco air terminals that have bitten the dust over the years. They have the unfortunate tendancy to be very much in the way when new terminals (always desperately needed) are built. Nice to see this one thriving.

Shaka

New in Town
I am originally from the Houston area and never know about the Museum. Thanks for the post I will definitely stop on and check it out next time I am in town!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Also in Texas is the great Randolph Field Art Dec complex. I don't know how far it is from Houston, but what's a few hundred miles to a Texan?

texan

New in Town
dhermann1,

We don't drive across this state, we navigate it! :D

---

Dixon, next time your in town, email me! I am heading out there next week to pick up some flyers and back ground material on it; if you need anything let me know.

WH1

Practically Family
Last weekend we did a cruise with the corvette club up to Tullahoma, Tennessee, destination was the Beechcraft Heritage Museum

http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/

I will try and post some of the pictures later this week. It was amazing to see this many vintage aircraft and be able to actually touch them and really examine them close up. One of the best is the Staggerwing skeleton frame, amazing the intricacy of the structure and the amount of wood and brass nails in the construction. If you get a chance you really need to check it out. Later this month they will be hosting the "Beech Party" Flyin.

JustFine

New in Town
I am glad I found your post here! And I am absolutely lucky since I live in Germany and am trying it here to win a greencard and fulfil my dream of coming and staying in Texas - so it would be perfect if it works out. I surely will visit the 1940's Air Terminal Museum ;)

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
That would be neat to see. I shall have to add it to my possible itinerary of places to visit should I ever make it down to Houston.

Stormy

A-List Customer
Dixon,

Next time your in Houston, put the 1940 Terminal on your radar screen. It's a hell of an attraction. I knew nothing of civil aviation, much less what Texas carriers were operational since the dawn of the aeroplane. The displays are simply incredible. History of Muse, Southwest, Texas Air and every single carrier that has touched down at Hobby (new terminal), old terminal and Bush Intercontinental. Uniforms, cigarette boxes, badges, and the toys the airlines handed out are all on display including several hundred photos. But be advised: arrive early. The museum will take half the day to view. They are currently working on the upper deck where you can actually sit, have coffee and watch the airliners take off.

WOW! I live right down the road from Hobby and never knew this. I'll have to put it on my weekend ventures list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner