Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 50's "Beatnik" Look

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I need a little help from the ladies of the lounge today.
I am set to play a sort of beatnik character in a play in October, which gives me a lot of time to make a costume. She wins a contest along with a lot of other girls to go to New York and work for a fashion magazine (she doesn't really want to work for the magazine though, she just uses the contest as a free trip to New York).

I know my character, but the problem is I have no idea what to wear in order to look the part. All I read in the play is that she wears black stockings a lot. When I think of a beatnik, I think of little berets and black sweaters but I don't want to look like the stereotypical beat girl, even if the play is a comedy. I'm just not sure what real beat girls wore in the 50s. So, does anyone have any outfit and hair ideas for me?

Also, I'm curious as to what New York women that were very fashion-conscious wore as an everyday businesslike outfit in the mid to late 50s?

Thank you all so very much. :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Lilibet said:
It sounds a lot like the Audrey Hepburn movie "Funny Face"!

Precisely what I was thinking! I'd be interested to see what every one else has to say, though...

Good luck!

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
There is an old picture of my mom in the early 60s, she was a total beatnik. She had her hair in a big flip, with a tiger striped headband in it. She had on a black turtleneck, black tights and this fabulous tiger striped jumper mini over it! Guess what her nickname was....Tiger! lol It is probably my favorite picture of my mom. I know it sounds kind of cliche with all the black, but they really did dress that way. She had three younger sisters with long bangs and really straight long hair. They wore cute little blouses with capri pants and flats. Heavy made up eyes. There is a shot of the four of them pretending to be a girl folk group, complete with autoharp and tambourine!! I love my aunties and mom. :)

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
I was thinking "Funny Face" too, Lilibet! I'm just thinking that instead of pants, I'd have to wear a black skirt or something.

RedHotRidinHood, I'd absolutely looove to see that photo if you can/want to post it!!! It sounds really adorable. :D

epr25

Practically Family
Here's one.

ChairDnc.JPG

I think all black. Tight fitted pants, turtle neck with ballet flats and a beret. straight hair and maybe some glasses? Dark heavy eyeliner.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I too think of Funny Face!

I remember reading that Audrey cried when she had to wear white socks with that outfit, she wanted to wear black socks!

otherwise check out 'Down with Love' there is a whole beatnick scene where you can get great inspiration for outfits. It really has to be obvious I think.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
But not Goth! All suggestions here are on the money.
A black beret would be appropriate. Capri pants, maybe, flat shoes or ballet slippers, boat neck top of any sort (a la Hepburn), bright red lipstick would not be out of place, but no make up at all would also be correct.
Another approach would be the 40's artsy look, with an elastic top and long printed cotton skirt, and sandals. Or one of those puffy sleeve peasant blouses. (I don't know the correct terms for a lot of ladies garments, but you get the idea, I hope.)

Vix Vixen

Familiar Face
Hope this and this help. It's titled "How to be/become a stereotyped Beatnik" I think it's quite informative. It suggests wearing leotards and tights as well as pants. I know you said u didn't want the stereotypical beatnik look so maybe you can mix and match with the suggestions on the site. You could also do some background research here.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Vix Vixen said:
Hope this helps. It's titled "How to be a stereotyped Beatnik [girls]" I think it's quite informative. It suggests wearing leotards and tights along with pants. I know you said u didn't want the stereotypical beatnik look so maybe you can mix and match with the suggestions on the site.

that was a super link! I had to laugh at this line : True Beatniks don't read bad poetry to the beat of bongos,it's silly

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the most memorable literary description of a beatnik girl I ever ran across was in J. K. Toole's "A Confederacy of Dunces," where he described "the minx" Myrna Minkoff as wearing black leotards, a long, single braid slung carelessly over one shoulder, an uncased guitar slung over the other, and a pair of horn-rimmed glasses fitted with clear lenses, since she only wore them to make herself look more serious and commited. Myrna also had the habit of hectoring anyone who didn't fit her own particular worldview about their "underlying psychological issues."

Toole's novel was set in 1962, a bit after the beatnik heyday, but certainly there's aspects of the attitude there.

As for the other part of your question, the well-dressed business/careerwoman of the time, think of very tightly fitted suits with slim waists, long -- as in a couple inches below the knee -- slim skirts, small back-of-the-head hats, and conservative pumps, with increasingly pointy toes and thinner heels as the decade wore on. Gloves were still common as well. The Jackie Kennedy look was the final culmination of this style.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I once watched a documentary on James Dean, and there was an interview with Seinfeld's mom, Liz Sheridan, who was his girlfriend at some point. She said that beat girls really stood out from the crowd because they never wore girdles or curled their hair. Here's a pic of her (the leotard!):

DizDance.jpg

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
Wow! Thank you all so much, you're all SO helpful and informative! I'd been searching online for days until I finally decided to ask here, and I learned more here than I could've on other sites. :)

CherryRed, your mom is beautiful! The pictures look like they could've been taken yesterday, thank you for posting them! They're very inspiring. :D

BitterEpiphany - Thank you for telling me, I totally forgot about that! I'll make sure to get the same shades.

I pretty much have an idea now of how I want one outfit to look. I'm guessing I need about 3 changes for the whole show. This will be very very fun. And I'm glad I won't have to worry much about my hair each night!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy