Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 8 piece Cap.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I just won this on ebay and can't wait till it comes! Talk about luck to find this with only 15 hours to go! I just won it and it should be arriving early next week.

Take a look!

Root.

Real 30's 8 piece caps are so cool and hard to find in good shape!

ee_1_b.JPG

91_1_b.JPG

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Does the cap have a snap on the brim?

I've recently begun wearing a linen 8 panel and have found it to be a refreshing change from the fedora that I have been wearing since the beginning of the Fall. Recently there was some discussion revolving around the snap. Is it traditional for an 8 panel newsboy to have a snap on the brim?

I was under the impression that the addition of the snap was a recent development. Some say that is not the case, that there are some vintage caps with snaps. My Grandpop had some, and all were without snaps.

I have heretofor never worn a cap like the one I have now because I thought I'd never be able to pull it off. I get some looks in public and a couple nice hat comments, but I like the daggone thing. I think most people just don't see Newsboys worn anymore. I am going to get a medium weight wool cap from B! Wear Hats soon. I just may be a cap convert.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, snaps on the brim were very common in the 20's to now. I have two caps (One 8 piece and a one piece) which have snaps on them. My caps were made in the early 30's.

As to does my new one have a snap, I'm not sure. It didn't mention it and I'll be getting the hat soon. The seller just emailed me yesterday and told me that he sent it by way of UPS. So, it should be here soon.

Root.

For those who haven't seen this photo, here is a good one of me with my original 30's 8 piece on.

me3copy8sx.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore Bob and Wildroot -- You both look really great in your caps. I have been ordering some from B! Wear Cap Co. Brett makes really great caps.

http://mariposa.yosemite.net/bwear

I don't even try to bid on vintage caps, sometimes there are as many as 30 or more bids on those caps. Love those newsboy/poorboy/gatsby caps!!! I wear them to work and get lots of compliments. Especially from women. I see caps now all over the streets of San Diego. Many are worn backwards, a la Samuel L. Jackson. I wear them backwards and forwards, the latter if they are Brett's creations, because his hats drape so beautifully that

My daddy wore those caps when he was young, back in the 30's. My mother has a photo of him when he was 16 and there he is in one of those vintage caps we are now attempting to bid on.

Bob -- what cap is that? Where did you get it? It is so cool....

karol

Wild Root

Gone Home
K.D., the vintage caps only come up once in a wile on ebay. When I bid, there were only like 2 or three bidders. These caps are a big hit with some of us here but really don't matter much to other hat people out there. I won my new one for only $21. pluss $3. for shipping. So, that's really cheap seeing that Art saw one of my vintage caps and told me that it's worth up in the 75 to 80 dollar range.

Glad you like the photo! I like the vintage ones because I love the fabric, leather sweat band and the original style.

All the best,

Root.

PS. I'll post photos soon as I get the hat!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Indy -- Wow, you also look good in that hat!

Wildroot -- I know what you mean, now, about the leather band as B!Wear Caps has them. I have three of their caps and love the way they look and drape, as well as the leather band.

One of the things I like most about the caps is the price. It is fun to win or buy a cap and spend $30 or less on it after having killed several C-notes on a fedora!

I look better in the caps than I do in fedoras.

karol

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
K. D. I'm flattered that you think the picture in my recent avatar is me. But, if you look real close you will see that it is a famous actor who co-starred with Paul Newman in a film produced in the 70's. His initials are R.R.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
That's not Ronald Reagan!
He-hehe-

... and the same actor was famous for another cap, a very famous cap in a film with the initials T.G.G. and maybe another film; T.N. but I think that was mostly a Fedora-

Yeh, I wondered where KD saw a pic of you in a cap, I couldn't-

BT.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, well, I thought it was you -- the avatar is small; but now I can see, looking closely, that it is Mr. Redford (in The Sting?). He wears those caps well, wore one in Gatsby, too.

Oh, well, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. And here I thought, wow, another pretty face (and cap) on the Forum.

karol

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I want one !!

Wild Root said:
Well, I just won this on ebay and can't wait till it comes! Talk about luck to find this with only 15 hours to go! I just won it and it should be arriving early next week.

Take a look!

Root.

Real 30's 8 piece caps are so cool and hard to find in good shape!

ee_1_b.JPG

91_1_b.JPG

Nice cap!!
Please find me one in a 7 3/8 I will pay you a finders fee!!
Thanks,

Sharpey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic