Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The A-2 review

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Welcome to The Fedora Lounge stinchcomb!

From what I have seen and read, you've made a good choice. I hope we can see some pictures of that jacket.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Don't have any pics at the moment but will try and get some soon. It took about 4 days to arrive. It was very stiff when I first put it on, but have been wearing it every day know for a week and it's loosening up a bit and looking a little more worn as the sleeves are getting some wrinkles finally. It's almost too perfect and smooth when you take it out of the box. They suggested a size 46R after giving them my stats. I was a bit worried that would be too big because I usually wear a 44R, but the fit is perfect. I think if I would have gone with the 44 it would have fit the way it was supposed to 60 years ago, so the 46 is a more modern fit allowing room for some layers if needed.

kojax

Practically Family
a2 horsehide

i bought a A2 horsehide from u.s. mfg the color seal brown size 36 i had the jacket now for 3 months breaking in very well.....i did not like it when i got it almost sent it back.....now i am likeing it very well.....still has the leather smell.......good luck with your jacket.....

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
The moral of the story: If you want less hastle and more convenience for a better price and customer service then you are better off buying your flight jacket in the USA. Supporting good American companies just makes sense and contributes to the Economy and keeps your dollars here. All original flight jackets were made in the US. If money is no object, go ahead and buy a designer copy flight jacket made overseas. From what has been said, these high priced jackets are not all they are cracked up to be.

Ray

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Raymundo said:
The moral of the story: If you want less hastle and more convenience for a better price and customer service then you are better off buying your flight jacket in the USA. Supporting good American companies just makes sense and contributes to the Economy and keeps your dollars here.

Remember that we're not all American.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Stinchcomb said:
I’m no expert and have never seen in person some of those $800 plus jackets, but I figured for a good knock around jacket you just can’t beat US Authentic price.
Frankly, I wouldn't want a flight jacket I couldn't knock around in. I'm sure that Acme guy wouldn't use my $200, 15-year-old Schott A-2 for a snotrag, but it looks swell, wears like iron, and has the feel of another era about it. Good enough for me.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Raymundo said:
If money is no object, go ahead and buy a designer copy flight jacket made overseas. From what has been said, these high priced jackets are not all they are cracked up to be.

Ray

???!!

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Bottom line: try to support the jacket manufacturers that are local to where you live. The Japanese have been smart enough to do this and their market is pretty much exclusively for themselves. If you can not afford the price of flight jackets in your part of the world then you will have to buy used (i.e. EBAY) or find manufacturers somewhere that make good flight jackets at more affordable prices. Since most of the cheaper priced but still good quality repos are made in the US, then this will be the best deal for the money no matter where you live. Authenticity is a word I hear all the time. The originals were designed and made in the US.

Ray

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I just don't get the xenophobic put-downs on the foreign products. Sure the originals were made in the USA, but reproductions are reproductions regardless of where they are made. A US-made reproduction A-2 jacket stitched together by Central American or East Asian immigrant labor in California or New York doesn't necessarily doesn't garner any authenticity points. Fact is that none of the current US-made reroductions match the authenticity to pattern, details, and hardware that the best of the foreign companies offer, not even close. Yes, the foreign stuff is more expensive and harder to get, and yes the US-made jackets provide a servicable facsimile of an A-2 jacket, but having owned both US-made lower end and foreign made high-end jackets I feel qualified to say you get what you pay for.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Raymundo said:
Bottom line: try to support the jacket manufacturers that are local to where you live.
Ray

And I bought an RMNZ Dubow, just across the ditch from here:p

Love it and it's perfect

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Well.....strong opinions. I like that.
I have to say I bought my A2 here because the price was the biggest factor. From my research Eastman’s is probably the most accurately "true to the original" repro jacket you can get, they even have NOS zippers, and if I could have afforded it would have bought one from them. I spent a lot of time on eBay trying to find one, but after seeing what the used jackets where selling for figured I might as well buy a new one and have the joy of breaking it in myself. Authentic’s return policy is fantastic, you have 30 days to decide if you like it or not. Price and convenience and once ordered I had my jacket on my back in 4 days. The gentleman I talked to had an accent. Who really knows what country my money will end up. I do agree with Raymundo, that America, in general, has come far too dependant on other countries for our clothing, and the quality is deteriorating. Nothing against high quality specialty clothing from overseas, but some of this crap that we are getting from the slave labor 3rd world areas that “Super Centers” sales is not for me. But quality jackets, shoes, hats, that might not be able to be bought here in the U.S., you have no choice but look overseas for it.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
10-4. I'll take a few shots tonight and then figure out how to post them here. I gues I've got to get a photo bucket or similar account set-up.Or can I place a link from mysace. Let's see what this does. A pic of my wife and I.
929739935_m.jpg

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

An overdue welcome, Stinchbomb, from one Atlantan to another!

I went through the same price/quality debate, and, like you, finally settled on the US A russet horse. Wearing it the first few days was sort of like wearing a close-fitting culvert, but it has begun to loosen after a few months. As I said in an earlier post, the best thing to do is wear it in the rain while chopping wood. If you can get some kids to play Twister on it, that helps, too.
In time, the newness fades and the leather's character begins showing through.
My wife says the same thing about me.

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcome. I'm really enjoying this place. Seems to be some really good folks here that can dish out and can take it with no hard feelings from reading some of the forums.

My A2.....After only a week, I can tell it's getting better. I'm sure it will see it's share of rain living here in the ATL area. I'm going to try and make it the only jacket I wear for everything.

falcodriver

New in Town
NextStepGuy said:
It's too bad we have to deal with these people. First, they charge an extra 3.5% when they take credit card orders. Next I couldn't get them to send me one email. I always have to call their long distance number (no tall-free). Add to this that they always seem to be surprised when I ask a UPS tracking number. On top of that, they gave me a refund once and they kept the 3.5% fee (they could have reverted the card transaction so I think it's a scam). So no, I don't recommend them either. But do we have a choice when in the US to get an Eastman jacket?

It is a violation of the merchant agreement with credit card companies to charge extra for accepting credit cards.... plain and simple, it is not allowed!. You should report this incident to your credit card company.

Hacker

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SamReu said:
I went through the same price/quality debate, and, like you, finally settled on the US A russet horse. Wearing it the first few days was sort of like wearing a close-fitting culvert, but it has begun to loosen after a few months. As I said in an earlier post, the best thing to do is wear it in the rain while chopping wood. If you can get some kids to play Twister on it, that helps, too.
Amelia Earhart slept in hers to break 'em in (or perhaps to make sure George didn't get any ideas :rolleyes:).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran