Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The A-2 review

STHill

One of the Regulars
I agree, Marc has a slight bias toward Eastman. Maybe he just knows more about them. Eastman does make tremendous jackets, though a few other companies (Aero and Real McCoy come to mind) are just as good. And for the money, the Flight Suits Historical A-2 is excellent.

In any event, Acme Depot is a fantastic resource for A-2 knowledge. There is no better place on the web to learn about the A-2 jacket.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I've wanted a nice A2 for a long time now and I don't know what in the heck I'm waiting for. I'm a little unsure of my coat size, but I've wanted this jacket for literally years now. I need to "just do it"!!!

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by SHARPETOYS
Imahomer
For this small amount of money I think you would like it.:cool2:

I guess my problem is I'm torn between jumping on this one and just spending the money for a top flight jacket. I'm going to be flat on my back for a little while, so I'll have time to mull it over.

STHill

One of the Regulars
Imahomer, my .02 as someone who has a fair amount of A-2 replica experience--for $50, Sharpetoys "done good." That type of jacket will run $200 or more new. And for $50, it's practically disposable.

But at new prices, you'll be much happier buying a good replica (from Flightsuits, for example) for $500 or so. The fact that you're hanging around here shows you appreciate quality and attention to detail (at least in hats).

If you educate yourself on what to look for and you're willing to be patient (or you're laid up with a bad back!), you can probably find a high-quality used A-2 in the $300-$400 range on ebay. Look for Aero, Eastman, Real McCoy or Flightsuits brand names.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hey STHill
Thanks for the good advise. I agree with a $50.00 jacket being almost disposable. I think I'm really more interested in something more top of the line though. I go in for my surgery tomorrow and they tell me I'll be home on Wednesday, although I'm wondering just how mobile I'll be. I've got my lap top though, so I should be able to browse around Ebay anyhow.

I'll keep an eye open for those brand names you've mentioned.

Thanks...

Mike

Michaelson

One Too Many
I have a FlightSuits A-2 lambskin, and have enjoyed the heck out of it. That's one I'd definitely recommend for comfort. Regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Michaelson
I have a FlightSuits A-2 lambskin, and have enjoyed the heck out of it. That's one I'd definitely recommend for comfort. Regards. Michaelson

Thanks for the recommendation. Does anyone have any feelings about buying a jacket made of the leather that is already broken in? The already distressed look. I'd like some opinions if anyone has any experience with that stuff.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I'm on record (ad nasium) on being against it, as unless some REAL work is done to the leather, anytime you get caught in the rain, the jacket becomes a sponge due to the fact that the surface has been essentially 'removed' in cracking, and therefore open to all outside entry of dirt, water, etc. Pecards and the like can help control the further break down, but not all. With regular wear, a new surfaced jacket will reach the same look, but with controlled application of leather lotion/dressing, it can be kept in good condition, but still showing daily wear and tear. Just my 'soapbox' opinion, but based on personal hands on experience with a LOT of manufacturers products, both pre-distressed and not. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

patterson

One of the Regulars
I'm on record (ad nasium) on being against it, as unless some REAL work is done to the leather, anytime you get caught in the rain, the jacket becomes a sponge due to the fact that the surface has been essentially 'removed' in cracking, and therefore open to all outside entry of dirt, water, etc. Pecards and the like can help control the further break down, but not all. With regular wear, a new surfaced jacket will reach the same look, but with controlled application of leather lotion/dressing, it can be kept in good condition, but still showing daily wear and tear. Just my 'soapbox' opinion, but based on personal hands on experience with a LOT of manufacturers products, both pre-distressed and not. (grins) Regards. Michaelson

Agreed. IMHO, "pre-distressing" is a no-win. The hide is usually distressed in all the wrong placed, and it is prone to excessive wear at the time when a traditional hide would begin to break-in. I've been of a mind to manually accelerate the process on a new jacket, via MK's methods. While it was an interesting experiment, in hindsight I would have preferred to allow the whole process to take it's natural course.

I still promote the practice of tumbling a jacket (no heat in a dryer) to accelerate the natural relaxing of the skins. That's pretty much where I draw the line these days...

STHill

One of the Regulars
I agree with Patterson and Michaelson. I've never seen a "distressed" jacket that looked right. Wear it all the time, in all sorts of weather and it'll age naturally before you know it.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by Imahomer
Thanks for the recommendation. Does anyone have any feelings about buying a jacket made of the leather that is already broken in? The already distressed look. I'd like some opinions if anyone has any experience with that stuff.

NO don't do it, IMHO they look poorly compaired to the NEW Flightsuits A-2, either the regular or the historical.

I fully agree with Michaelson, buy the Flightsuits in goatskin....this is one of the nicest jackets I have ever seen. Well made.

I paid $350 or so. Soft as can be, looks great, and tough as nails.

I would have liked the historical model, but it was almost double.

Michaelson

One Too Many
If you're wanting one to naturally distress on it's on it fairly short order, consider the lambskin. I've found mine to be showing natural 'wear and tear' from regular usage, and with my application of the lotion, looks very nice, but it started out with a brand new finish. The goatskin is tough as nails, and will eventually become an old friend, but prepare for a pretty long relationship before it gets that 'used' look. (grins) My goatskin Expedition still looks pretty new, and I've been wearing it for over 3 years now! Regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
If you're wanting one to naturally distress on it's on it fairly short order, consider the lambskin. I've found mine to be showing natural 'wear and tear' from regular usage, and with my application of the lotion, looks very nice, but it started out with a brand new finish. The goatskin is tough as nails, and will eventually become an old friend, but prepare for a pretty long relationship before it gets that 'used' look. (grins) My goatskin Expedition still looks pretty new, and I've been wearing it for over 3 years now! Regards. Michaelson

Ok, so for a quicker break in period it's the lambskin? Got it. Thanks for the tips guys.

STHill

One of the Regulars
If it matters to you, actual A-2s were never made in lambskin. Most were made of horsehide, a lot from goat, and possibly a few from cowhide.

If that doesn't matter, then lambskin does make for a very nice, soft jacket that looks good and will distress quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo