Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Adventure Ready" Panama?

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I really like my felt hats, but when the temps hit 100+humidity here in Kentucky about a month ago, I simply could not stand to wear mine. Thus, I decided to try out a panama. Then I did a bit of reading and found out that panamas can't hold up in the rain. Of course, this somewhat shocked me.

My question is, does a panama hat exist for a decent price that looks like something Percy Fawcett or T. Roosevelt would wear that also holds up in the jungle, the desert, in the heat and in the rain? You folks are the experts, and I'm very curious.

Cheers!
-Kodiak

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Not really. The straws soak it up and droop to what I have seen. Some of the pics you see of the guys wearing them in the 20's and 30's show them just letting their hats doop away when out in the middle of nowhere. I tac be reblocked. Sort of like growing your beard out when you go on a long trip... the drooping hat is a sign you've been out and about.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Not really. The straws soak it up and droop to what I have seen. Some of the pics you see of the guys wearing them in the 20's and 30's show them just letting their hats doop away when out in the middle of nowhere. I tac be reblocked. Sort of like growing your beard out when you go on a long trip... the drooping hat is a sign you've been out and about.

Is there any chance you have links to vendors of that style of panama?

Fedora

Vendor
really like my felt hats, but when the temps hit 100+humidity here in Kentucky about a month ago, I simply could not stand to wear mine.

I bought a pretty finely woven Montecristi with the idea that it would be cooler to wear in the heat and humidity. I was surprised, that at least on my head, while lighter in weight, I still sweated as much with it as my felt hat. The hat would hold water due to the fine weave, and hence very little heat exchange. I went back to the felt hats and wear mine 365 days a year. I just remove the liner. I also have a couple of the felt Akubras with the eyelets on the crown, no liner of course, and these are cooler than just a non vented felt hat.

I love the way the Monticristis look, and I am sure some folks will find them cooler, it just depends upon the person. What I do not like about them is their inability to stand up to a slight shower. I think they need to weave in a wire inside the backweave. This would perhaps solve the drooping problem. Otherwise, they are a fair weather hat. IMHO. Fedora

squid

One of the Regulars
Fedora said:
I bought a pretty finely woven Montecristi with the idea that it would be cooler to wear in the heat and humidity. I was surprised, that at least on my head, while lighter in weight, I still sweated as much with it as my felt hat.

I wore my Montecristi last weekend in Destin, and my hair was soaked after walking around awhile. It really doesn't exchange heat that well.

Awhile back I bought one of those cheap Panamas that comes rolled in the balsa box from ebay. I had the idea of putting a cloth sweatband and hatband on it myself for a cheap hat similar to your "adventure ready" hat. Unfortunately I broke some of the straw messing with it. If you decide to buy one don't let them rip you off on shipping and realize you are getting a pretty rough unblocked hat. They try to make it sound like an extra fino hat in the listing.

Panamabob, do you sell these hats?

riccardo

Practically Family
Fedora said:
I bought a pretty finely woven Montecristi with the idea that it would be cooler to wear in the heat and humidity. I was surprised, that at least on my head, while lighter in weight, I still sweated as much with it as my felt hat. The hat would hold water due to the fine weave, and hence very little heat exchange. I went back to the felt hats and wear mine 365 days a year. I just remove the liner. I also have a couple of the felt Akubras with the eyelets on the crown, no liner of course, and these are cooler than just a non vented felt hat.

I love the way the Monticristis look, and I am sure some folks will find them cooler, it just depends upon the person. What I do not like about them is their inability to stand up to a slight shower. I think they need to weave in a wire inside the backweave. This would perhaps solve the drooping problem. Otherwise, they are a fair weather hat. IMHO. Fedora

Hi to all,
thinking to buy an AB fedora in gray color,I've take a look on the Steve's site.
I've seen a lot of guys wearing fedora and t-shirt, or wearing it under the sun.
My question: is the AB fedora in pure beaver felt good in a sunny day?
I use to wear felt fedora in fall/winter and my Monecristi's during the "straw hat days"; I'm wonder to could use a fine felt fedora during the summer.

Thanks to all.
Riccardo.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'd go with a Semi-Calado Montecristi or a Brisa Cuenca. I'll find some photos when I get the chance. Semi-Calados have open weave in the crown. Brisas are designed with a weave that allows the breeze to get through. What squid bought on ebay was a Cuenca Brisa low end from some crook in Florida.

Fedora

Vendor
And Bob, this is why I am still waiting on you to find me a Montecristi similiar to this one here. This will be my new summer hat once you can source me one. I love the ornamental vent treatment, as it looks classy to me.

rd_teardrop.jpg

I would be satisfied with just the body as I could block it and install the parts myself. Regards, I would prefer one with a little taller crown, say 5 inches tall, once I crease the top with a c-dent. Fedora

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
buy panama and use scotchguard.

It is my understanding you should not get a panama hat wet. It loosens the weave and reduces its sun blocking power (as well as loosing its shape). That being said I have a Biltmore Panama hat that I gave a quick coating of scotch guard. So if I get caught in a shower I can get to shelter before any real harm comes to the hat. I am not sure about Kentucky weather so I have no idea how much it rains. If it rains a lot you may consider going for a Tilley hat instead / or as well. I always keep one in my car “just in case”. If it starts to rain I can swap them out. I have also found my pith helmet is fantastic in over 30 degrees C weather (over 85 F). I wore it the other weekend on the golf course when it hit 37 degrees C (about 110 F). I did not even sweat that much when everyone else was melting. It also stand up in the rain. But it is not really a daily wear hat. That’s my two cents worth.
Johnny.

squid

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
I'd go with a Semi-Calado Montecristi or a Brisa Cuenca. I'll find some photos when I get the chance. Semi-Calados have open weave in the crown. Brisas are designed with a weave that allows the breeze to get through. What squid bought on ebay was a Cuenca Brisa low end from some crook in Florida.

I don't remember if it was the same guy who sells them currently as oakleyboy782. I would buy one of his for $6, but I have a feeling the shipping is outragous. He didn't respond to my question about shipping.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Shipping is about $16 or so. Not MONTECRISTI at all and the YOUNG MAN knows it.

I haven't been able to locate any Montecristis with that weave. Lots and lots of Cuencas, though.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
squid said:
I wore my Montecristi last weekend in Destin, and my hair was soaked after walking around awhile. It really doesn't exchange heat that well.

Awhile back I bought one of those cheap Panamas that comes rolled in the balsa box from ebay. I had the idea of putting a cloth sweatband and hatband on it myself for a cheap hat similar to your "adventure ready" hat. Unfortunately I broke some of the straw messing with it. If you decide to buy one don't let them rip you off on shipping and realize you are getting a pretty rough unblocked hat. They try to make it sound like an extra fino hat in the listing.

Panamabob, do you sell these hats?

You got taken as well huh? Do not feel bad, so did I. When I won my auction this seller didnt have a single negative, what he is selling are just what you stated, a hat blank. He claims they are a hat, but that just is not the truth. I have worked on mine and at this point have it pretty much ready for a sweatband and a ribbon. It has been a learning experience, or that is the way I try and look at it. That way I do not feel so taken by this guy. I am getting better and better with the tea pot and learning to shape a crown. sewing the hat band and the ribbon are sure to be a learning experience. I bought some black grosgrain ribbon a couple of days ago, and am still looking at seveal options as far as the sweatband goes. Ahhhhhh life goes on, live and learn.:eusa_doh:

squid

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
The YOUNG MAN lists the hats as Montecristi. He is taking everyone from the start.

Well I know it's not actually from Montecristi now. He just responded to an email.

"$12 for shipping and $10 for blocking"

I wonder what he would say if I offered to swing by Gainsville and pickthe hat up.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Okay... Bob, I like this one:

http://www.panamas.biz/cuenca.html

The Caballero that is. Is "Extra Fino Cuenca Llano Liso" good enough to wear it as a summer-time beater? And is there any chance that a discount is coming soon as these hats are somewhat going out of season?

Fedora

Vendor
Bob, any Montecristi that I buy from here on out will be from you. Trusting your hatter is priceless!! I wish I have of known of you when I used your competitor(you know the one). I think I spent 500 bucks, with the explicit request of wanting a taller Montecristi. He said he could deliver, and I received a 4 inch crown hat thereafter. I did not even try to return, I just sucked it up and I still have the hat, a great Buster Keaton hat too(crown height). It just does not fit my style. ;) Fedora

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
And is there any chance that a discount is coming soon as these hats are somewhat going out of season?

20% off now until next Spring.

I think I spent 500 bucks, with the explicit request of wanting a taller Montecristi. He said he could deliver, and I received a 4 inch crown hat thereafter.

We've happily fulfilled many orders for this man's customers. Many here on the lounge, in fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran