Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aero has landed:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
One of the factors involving the fit of the Aero 30's is that on many other 30's that I have seen on the FL, the back length seems to hit an inch or two above the belt, whereas that appears not to be the case here. I specifically like the body length and look for Jack's 30's jacket, which seems better designed for lower rise contemporary pants worn in today's era over pants worn way above the waist line during the 30's and 40's, and even the 50's to some extent. Had lower rise pants been worn during the era in which the 30's was designed, I feel certain that the original design of the body length would have been adjusted accordingly. If one looks at pictures of Rudie wearing his 30's Slimfit, I think that the pictures also show that Rudie is wearing very high rise trousers worn during the 30's.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice jacket and good fit too. Looks longer in the back than other 30's half belts I've seen, so this one I could definitely wear. Would love to see it again when it's broken in. Enjoy!

pauleway

Practically Family
Very nice jacket and good fit too. Looks longer in the back than other 30's half belts I've seen, so this one I could definitely wear. Would love to see it again when it's broken in. Enjoy!

Body length seems to be in between a HB and a LHB. Did you order it with a little longer length?

pauleway

Practically Family
Nope. The only real mods were the choice of tartan lining, and the goat.

I have the Russet goat and it has really nice grain, is light-weight and really durable, a little stiff (but nothing compared to FQHH) and is a great hide. I'm sure you will be happy with yours also!

Windward

Practically Family
Great jacket and fit - congrats - like the seal brown and how you combine it with chinos in color "british khaki"!!!

Edward

Bartender
Cracking looking jacket, Jack. What did Aero charge you for the throat latch? When I ordered my Bootlegger three years ago, a throat latch was one of my additions (also tartan liner, two G1 pockets, and buttons cuffs) that at that time wasn't an extra charge, but I'd expect it now. I've never actually used mine, but I love the detail of it being there.

Also... did you specify the plain back? My 30s HB has the two-dip yoke over the shoulder back, as shown on the website. Wa that persnal preference, or have they changed the pattern?

Looks great and I like that fit. In fact, fit wise I don't see the difference between this and my 50s halfbelt. Yet, I thought this one is supposed to be a trimmer version, no?

And if it aint then what are the trim aero jackets?

The 30s is a very neat fit on most folks, but it is possible to get a fit closer to the 50s halfbelt by sizing up one size, I believe. FWIW, rumour has it the pending 20s Halfbelt model is even trimmer than the 30s - probably only Rudi will manage to fit that one, in these parts anyhow. ;) I love My 30s, but it's definitely the absolute neatest I can wear without it looking ridiculous. With it pulled in just a little at the waist, it is a bit of a corset-efect when fully fastened.... heh. I need to shift some weight anyhow....

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Hi, Edward: I did not order the throat latch; it was a nice surprise

I did choose to pass on a bi-swing back. Keep it simple was my thought. I'm wearing it every day, liking it more and more. :D

Edward

Bartender
Interesting, I wonder if Aero have decided to make the throat latch a standard part of the pattern. Something I'd like to have on mine, but I got mine at a hefty reduction from their sale page, so I'm not complaining! ;) Regarding the back, I don't think they've ever made the 30s HB bi-swing (unless you and I are using the terminology differently? - I mean an 'action back', like on an M422a). This is what I meant about the yoke:

9484bd48c9037182_1930s%20Halfbelt%20Slim%20Fit%20HFQH%20hero%202.jpg

The back on my 30s HB looks just like that; my Bootlegger has a plain back like your jacket here. Of course, both look fantastic! I'm currently fantasising about a Bootlegger front on a Pioneer.....

53Effie

A-List Customer
Looking very good Jack. Thanks for sharing it with us. I think that if I purchase another Aero I would choose the goatskin. I have a Langlitz in goat and I really like the feel of it. Enjoy the new jacket!

jack miranda

A-List Customer
Great jacket and great details, too. A 30s HB in seal goat with throatch latch rings a distant bell... I'll probably remember sooner or later!

Wear it in good health...you got a super jacket there!

Ah, JanSolo, slowly I turned...it took me awhile, and some searching through previous threads, but, I do remember the spectacular 30's HB in seal goatskin you reviewed for us about a year ago. I had forgotten about that jacket until you obliquely referenced it. Now, I need to find a tree...

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Jack, is it possible that your jacket is the "Cossack" ... After perusing the Aero site the Cossack has the throat latch and two part back (no yoke)... It is also listed as a model based on 1930's style jackets. Either way you got a great one..

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Have to say that I find that collar on my jacket is stiff-enough to be moulded into the shape they'd take without the use of a latch, but it's a nice detail nonetheless. :)

Carrie @ Insurrection

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great jacket! Turned out incredible!

To avoid confusion for everyone, Aero included, the stock lengths that the OP refers to are Insurrection stock lengths, which are quite a bit longer in the body and sleeve than Aero's stock lengths on the 1930s Slimfit Half Belt, the Cafe' Racer, the J106, the J107 (new Aero style here), etc. In short, Insurrection has our own set of patterns on all Aero jackets to accommodate our taller American customers.

Again, great jacket! Ken, Wade, and I all loved the Isle of Skye tartan...

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family

To avoid confusion for everyone, Aero included, the stock lengths that the OP refers to are Insurrection stock lengths, which are quite a bit longer in the body and sleeve than Aero's stock lengths on the 1930s Slimfit Half Belt, the Cafe' Racer, the J106, the J107 (new Aero style here), etc. In short, Insurrection has our own set of patterns on all Aero jackets to accommodate our taller American customers.

But not so good for your shorter American customers!!! (Especially arm length - 5'7"/165Lbs)

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family

Saw that 30's HB on your site but knew it would be a little too long in sleeve and body length!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24