Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
G'day Sam...and yes indeed Australia Day rates a public holiday.

Not to mention a game of cricket and a barbeque. Today's cricket is a one-day match between Australia v Pakistan.

Eph,

I looked up the game on Fox Sports Austrailia.

Congratulations!:eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
No worries, mate

elvisroe said:
Oh man...
All these squatters, I'm starting to feel like I need a new one!
Nice hats lads, thanks for the pix.

That's what we're here for... Making you feel as if you need a new hat, even if you don't! I know that's what everyone else does for me.

Randy

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
theinterchange said:
That's what we're here for... Making you feel as if you need a new hat, even if you don't! I know that's what everyone else does for me.

Randy

What?...Who doesn't need another hat? lol

gtdean48 said:
We are true enablers around here!!! :eek:

That would be a good name for a hat gtdean..."The Enabler" :D

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Friends, indeed!

You guys are great.

The rest of the world seems to think ... You've only got one head, why own more than one hat?

A little positive feedback is a wonderful thing!:eusa_clap

OK, it's enabling, but so what?[huh]

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Sam Craig said:
Eph,

I looked up the game on Fox Sports Austrailia.

Congratulations!:eusa_clap

Yep Sam. Australia gave Pakistan a thorough bottom-smack - again! It's very a very one-sided contest, which doesn't make for much excitement as a spectator.

The one-day series** against the West Indies starts soon and I'm going to the match here.

**For those unfamiliar with the greatest game of all, cricket is played in 3 formats at international level - Test (over 5 days. Yes Americans, I did say FIVE DAYS). One Day (50 overs per side). 20/20 (20 overs per side - for those whose attention spans won't cope with anything longer than 2 hours).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
wasn't it Shaw who wrote we are two nations separated by a common language?

We may not get cricket, but my alma mater, University of Kansas, are the current national champions in basketball .... well this past season that is ...

Good luck on the rest of the season and keep showing the cool lids!

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Sam Craig said:
You guys are great.

The rest of the world seems to think ... You've only got one head, why own more than one hat?

A little positive feedback is a wonderful thing!:eusa_clap

OK, it's enabling, but so what?[huh]

Remember what Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart said when trying on wigs in the movie "Amadeus"? "They're all so beautiful....If only I had three heads! HAHAHAHAHA!!"

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
The Squatter remodelled

The other day I wore the Squatter with a teardrop and low crown, much as they have been worn by generations of Aussies. It looked like this:

SDC10494.jpg
SDC10496.jpg

There was some discussion as to whether it would look better with a low or a high crown. As much as I liked that teardrop, I mentioned that I would rework the crease to a wide centre dent to give the crown a lift.

Here it is today with the centre dent and higher crown.

SDC10510.jpg
SDC10512.jpg
SDC10513.jpg

Which do you prefer?

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Well, the first incarnation is more traditional Oz (in fact you look very boss-cocky in the blue shirt and maroon tie!) but I definitely like the second better.

Is it still a pretty tapered crown? Mine is so old and shrunken on top it's hard to tell now what it may have looked like open!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Eph,

Are you on the Akubra payroll?

I gotta say, you are doing a great job of making me hungry for one of those beauts!:eusa_clap

I like the taller crown, but after we conversed the other day, I went home and dug out my wife's copy of Australia and was looking at the hats in it.

Was the one ... sorry ... Mrs. Boss, you know, oh man, her name escapes me know ... anyway, the gal that used to be married to Tom Cruse ... aging stinks

Anyway ... was that a Campdraft that she wears in that movie? It looks to have a thinner ribbon, but it seems about the same color as the one you had.

Long way of getting to the point, which is ... that movie takes place in the 1940s ... so how would that hat have been shaped then?

Low crown, porkpie?

Just wondering.

Sam

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
If you mean this hat Nicole Kidman wears:

http://www.australiamovie.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=random&cat=9&pos=-1971

http://www.australiamovie.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=2

It doesn't have the thin ribbon of the Campdraft. It looks a lot more like a Squatter to me - the ribbon is about the right size, as are the crown/brim. But I think it may be missing the bound edge... making it more like a Federation.

Back when the movie was out, wasn't there a lot of noise about how its costumer worked closely with Akubra to create special new hats that replicate the old ones, rather than just modifying their standard contemporary models?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Ephraim Tutt said:
The other day I wore the Squatter with a teardrop and low crown, much as they have been worn by generations of Aussies. It looked like this:

There was some discussion as to whether it would look better with a low or a high crown. As much as I liked that teardrop, I mentioned that I would rework the crease to a wide centre dent to give the crown a lift.

Here it is today with the centre dent and higher crown.

Which do you prefer?

I prefer the centerdent. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot