Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Allan Quatermain Hat Thread - Where oh where

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Pass the Natural Beaver please

Art Fawcett said:
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay, another trip north for me just ended. I'll answer all the questions I can remember

First, the pugaree is not pleated so I will have to get some made. I can do the prototype in pleated but it wont be right.

MD, it's pretty hard to tell from a pic the content of a hat but this seems to be pretty rough so my best guess is that it is rabbit. I don't have any "natural" rabbit bodies on hand so the prototype is going to be (gulp) pure beaver. My best guess as to cost on the beaver will be about $350 with rabbit being in the $250 range.

Observation.....this looks like about a 3" brim on this hat. Any opinions?

I can tell you for a hat you are going to wear to hell and back for a extra hundred bucks i'm buying beaver. Like a Life Insurance policy will pay off in the long run. :clap

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Gandy,

They are great reads. Keep in mind though, the Granger Quatermain is much more um...charismatic than the original Haggard character. The 1950 KSM is forever my favorite.

Sharpe,

DANG IT, MAN! Your logic is too sound! As a 100% beaver AB owner, I know the quality and now you have forced my hand. WHERE am I going to come up with that kind of money before the summer???

Looks like I'd better start selling off these Star Wars props...

Mike

gandydancer

Familiar Face
MDFrench said:
Gandy,

They are great reads. Keep in mind though, the Granger Quatermain is much more um...charismatic than the original Haggard character. The 1950 KSM is forever my favorite.

Yes, the book is an interesting contrast to the movies. First, no girls! Second, Quatermain is in his fifties. But he has to be, because he has been an elephant hunter for 35 years. I like the way he brags. Several pages on he mentions that elephant hunters usually only last 4-5 years. Leaves the conclusion that he is one tough old man to you. And I love how Haggard sticks in those foot notes from the editor saying in effect that Quatermain doesn't know what he is talking about. So I guess Connery is the most visually accurate movie Quatermain.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Connery is accurate to be sure, as is the original Quatermain actor, Cedric Hardwicke, who if you see the 1937 version, is an older, grizzled veteran hunter. Also interesting note on the 1937 version, it is the only version to include all three male characters, Quatermain, Curtis, and Good, AND include a female character.

All other versions sacrifice one of the males for the transplanted female character.

Mike

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
"Bwana"

I spoke to Art Fawcett about the color and name. He has a drop dead gorgeous Natural Color Beaver felt and he thinks "Bwana" Would look good as the name printed on the roan leather sweat band. I agree!

Lets get a trip planned for Africia next. :)

Victor

One of the Regulars
I have seen Arts Beaver double brimmed hat body on the block and it is a beautiful felt! great color and feel and the unusual double brim makes it unique! He has taken up the challange of the demand for this hat and is starting production to fill it. The final product should be as fine a hat of this type as Steves Adventurebilt is of the indy type. I am curious to see the final rewult.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I will do it

Victor said:
I have seen Arts Beaver double brimmed hat body on the block and it is a beautiful felt! great color and feel and the unusual double brim makes it unique! He has taken up the challange of the demand for this hat and is starting production to fill it. The final product should be as fine a hat of this type as Steves Adventurebilt is of the indy type. I am curious to see the final rewult.

For sale one ???? I gotta sell something to get this new hat. :cry: :) :cry:

Victor

One of the Regulars
Not sure when he will be ready to sell them but he showed me the prototype on the block. You'll have to ask him about that.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I want to at least SEE one first! Sure sounds like a winner if Art is making it! Any idea on price yet? Inquiring minds want to know! Regards! Michaelson

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Here is his post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Fawcett
Hi Guys,
Sorry for the delay, another trip north for me just ended. I'll answer all the questions I can remember

First, the pugaree is not pleated so I will have to get some made. I can do the prototype in pleated but it wont be right.

MD, it's pretty hard to tell from a pic the content of a hat but this seems to be pretty rough so my best guess is that it is rabbit. I don't have any "natural" rabbit bodies on hand so the prototype is going to be (gulp) pure beaver. My best guess as to cost on the beaver will be about $350 with rabbit being in the $250 range.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
I'm thinking the brim might be wider than 3", but Art is the hatmaker, not me, so I think he'd know.

Hey Art, if you need ANYTHING like DVD grabs from other angles or ANYTHING AT ALL, don't hesitate to ask me! I will be happy to help in this endeavour...seing as how I started this fire, I'd be a jerk if I didn't help put it out! :cheers1:

Mike

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
Is this hat gonna end up looking like the movie one if it's made of fine Beaver felt rather than the thick, coarse rabbit (or worse) felt of the original?

BT.

You can make beaver look like the movie hat you just don't pounce the felt as fine like you do for a dress fedora.

Art, has made plenty of movie hats before so he has the gift.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
On pins and needles

Art Fawcett said:
Hi Guys,

I just hope old copy cat doesn't try to steal business from you like he tried to do on S.D. hats.

Art I think you will have a winner here. I showed the pics of this hat to some neighbors and they said "Now I would wear that hat" Fedora's are not there cup of tea.

I wish you luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24