Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Impacted sounds like what happens to a wisdom tooth not something you find in an employee handbook. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

I think unacceptable and inappropriate are perfectly acceptable and appropriate everyday words ;)

HadleyH said:
(go jump into the lake.:rage: lol)

I know what you mean lol It's similar to disliking someone for no good reason, like the new guy at work. Everybody else thinks he's charming and a snappy dresser. Heck, they're probably right. But you still don't like him!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
It's not wrong to say it. It's perfectly okay. Very commonly used.

But it irritates me no end. I can do nothing about it.

The word is issues applied like this : I have issues. I have issues with this......I have issues with that........ (go jump into the lake.:rage: lol)

Worse: "I'm in a place where..."

Where there's a Kramer vs. Kramer marathon playing?

Cobden

Practically Family
"Irregardless" is liable to send me into a frenzy. Surely if one wants to take no regard of something, then one doesn't wish to give it the extra focus of an unneccessary first syllable?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I've seen that. In Canada, it's usually "Not available in Québec," since Québec is a whole different culture than most of the country.

I don't like "New and Improved!" If it's new, how did you improve upon it?

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Here's one that I caught a few of my newer friends saying - 'scrip', as in prescription. I've a feeling this is a street slang version of the word. Makes it sound seedy (imho).

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Most vapid and annoying phrase due to incessant repetition: "Nice lid."
But that's all I got!!! What else shall I say? [huh] I'm all ears.

And please, leave Chapeau in France, where it belongs. ;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Jennifer Lynn said:
Here's one that I caught a few of my newer friends saying - 'scrip', as in prescription. I've a feeling this is a street slang version of the word. Makes it sound seedy (imho).

I've said that before, purely because it's one syllable instead of 3 lol

Now that I think about it, you're right. I'm never saying it again, it does sound seedy.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't like any medical jargon used by those who aren't in the trade, or used by medical people outside their work. "Meds" sounds like something you get from a psychiatrist or Dr. Feelgood; "stat" makes you sound like you've been watching too many medical dramas.

C-dot said:
I've said that before, purely because it's one syllable instead of 3 lol Now that I think about it, you're right. I'm never saying it again, it does sound seedy.

The only time I have actually heard the term "scrip" was in interviews on tv with druggies and former druggies where they talked about stealing the prescription blanks (scrip) forging "scrip" for their habit. So I always link 'scrip' with drug addicts, AS SEEN ON TV!:p

Dewhurst

Practically Family
OK, a little different here but still annoying:

Having to say "WWW" before Internet addresses.

Seems like a gigantic waste of syllables and it is rather laborious. I'm with Stephen Fry: we should start saying "wuh wuh wuh" instead of "double U double U double U". lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL