Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Matchy-matchy." As in, a suit is too matchy-matchy. A red belt and red shoes are too matchy-matchy. Why? Because it's trendy to rebel against bothering to match your outfit--never mind that matching is easier than trying to find four coordinating colors.

LordBest

Practically Family
"Foodie".

You are either a glutton, gourmand, gourmet or Gastronome. Foodie is a foolish, pretentious and meaningless word.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
As long as you don't say "It's really a blessing" to other people who are in mourning.

My first time when appointed to the duty of informing relatives that there family members have died I was the subordinate of a sergeant who was to teach me the proper way to do the morbid task.

We arrived no one was home. He left a note ion the door. I later found out he wrote . "We knocked...no one home...your grandpa Walton is dead."...:eek:

True story.....

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This one takes the cake for me... the over-usage of the word "like," especially here in California. I'm not fond of the valley-girl accent either, for that matter...

"And, like, they, like, were, like, all, like, all, like, you know, (funny face shake head expression) like you know."

That is (like) a word for word transcription of (like) a teenage high school girl from (like) El Monte or (like) Pico Rivera area being interviewed about some (like) incident at (like) school in the (like) 1990's involving (like) a fight and (like) some students (like) drunk at (like) school, You know...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Now just how did that catch on? Were California-born citizens saying "like," such as that (to avoid another usage of the word "like") decades ago? When did this "like" phenomenon originate, exactly? Was it during the 1960s from the hippie movements or something? I've heard some say 1980s too.

TSWebster

New in Town
Am I the only one who thinks calling the year 'Twenty Ten' sounds wrong? After ten years of saying the entire numeral I've goten used to it and have been calling it 'Two Thousand and Ten' and am now already frustrated by the number of people who try and correct me about it and say its to long to bother with. Ten days ago nobody complained that 'Two Thousand and Nine' (which is longer by a WHOLE letter mind you :rolleyes: ) was to long.

J B said:
Now just how did that catch on? Were California-born citizens saying "like," such as that (to avoid another usage of the word "like") decades ago? When did this "like" phenomenon originate, exactly? Was it during the 1960s from the hippie movements or something? I've heard some say 1980s too.

We said "like" in the 1960's, (in NY) to mean similar to or the same as another object or situation (etc.) and our teachers would give us grief over it.

What has happened is since that time particularly in certain areas out here "like" is used as a "pause" word to give the speaker time to think. It has become so ingrained as a speach pattern that some people simply insert it at every pause and seemingly for every noum or verb. (In the end you can imagine that so many people out this way have such a poor grasp of the English language and are so unsure of their descriptive ability (especially in their youth) that "like" seems to be meaning: "My brain hurts from thinking!");) [huh]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
"And, like, they, like, were, like, all, like, all, like, you know, (funny face shake head expression) like you know."

That is (like) a word for word transcription of (like) a teenage high school girl from (like) El Monte or (like) Pico Rivera area being interviewed about some (like) incident at (like) school in the (like) 1990's involving (like) a fight and (like) some students (like) drunk at (like) school, You know...

Gag me with a spoon!!! :eusa_doh:

Doran said:
Believe it or not, (. . . yada, yada . . .)

You mean, "Believe it or don't", I presume. :D

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats